High Finance Thread - Page 10 - Salary.sg Forums
Salary.sg Forums  

Go Back   Salary.sg Forums > The Salary.sg Discussion Forums: > Income and Jobs

Income and Jobs Discuss jobs, career options and of course salaries

High Finance Thread

Old 22-07-2020, 04:54 PM
Unregistered

Default PE in Singapore

Hi I am a singaporean studying economics in UK(LSE/Cambridge). I am trying to move back to Singapore after I graduate next year. I have done an internship at a EB in london (evercore/lazard) and gotten an ft offer.

However, my aim is to be move back to Singapore, preferably the buyside(PE) after i graduate. How is the PE industry in Singapore? I know a few US megafunds such as KKR have a presence here as well as regional players such as hiltonhouse and also the SWFs.

Do these funds have an analyst program or do they recruit for associate only?
Also how does the compensation vary (eg for the associate level, does KKR/Apollo pay the same as their NY counterparts?)

Old 22-07-2020, 07:29 PM
Unregistered

Quote:
Originally Posted by Unregistered View Post
Hi I am a singaporean studying economics in UK(LSE/Cambridge). I am trying to move back to Singapore after I graduate next year. I have done an internship at a EB in london (evercore/lazard) and gotten an ft offer.

However, my aim is to be move back to Singapore, preferably the buyside(PE) after i graduate. How is the PE industry in Singapore? I know a few US megafunds such as KKR have a presence here as well as regional players such as hiltonhouse and also the SWFs.

Also how does the compensation vary (eg for the associate level, does KKR/Apollo pay the same as their NY counterparts?)
Unfortunately PE isn't that big in Asia. Most of the largest shops don't even have an office in Singapore.

If you're really looking for a role in buy-side, you should look at our local SWFs (GIC/Temasek) or vanilla asset management (Fidelity/Templeton/Blackrock/Capital), many more opportunities in these areas compared to PE.

Old 23-07-2020, 11:01 PM
Unregistered

To the author of this thread (Equiteer), I wonder if there is any method we can connect here in sg haha, would like to have a tea with you (and it is on me).

Basically I am currently in public investing for less than 2 years but thinking of making a switch to private equity. I am wondering if the risk/reward is worth it for me to make the move.

Old 26-07-2020, 01:11 PM
Unregistered

Smile

Quote:
Currently a student pursing a diploma in International trade and business in Ngee ann poly.

Interested in working in the banking/investment industry (probably M&A, PE, Capital/debt underwriting, etc).

My GPA is aroud 3.6. Might not be able to enter local Uni.

What are the options and paths for me to enter this industry?

Is it very challenging to get hired?

Which jobs in banking and investment do not require 10+ hours/ day and still pay a high pay?
I really like this question. I also want to know. Basically he is asking how does a dumb**** (him and me) with no money, no connection, no background in IB/PE and no looks (me. Not sure about him) can get a high paying job with max pay (for me preferably starting at >$10k p.m.)and min work hours (preferably 9-5 sharp. Not one min more). If anyone know of such jobs please let me know too....
Old 01-08-2020, 06:00 PM
Unregistered

Quote:
Unfortunately PE isn't that big in Asia. Most of the largest shops don't even have an office in Singapore.

If you're really looking for a role in buy-side, you should look at our local SWFs (GIC/Temasek) or vanilla asset management (Fidelity/Templeton/Blackrock/Capital), many more opportunities in these areas compared to PE.
Hi Thanks for the response.

I am the guy who in studying econs in uk. I am just a student so i may be extremely inaccurate.

Why do you say that most big shops(I assume u mean mf) dont have a Singaporean presence. I thought apollo, kkr, warburg, carlyle have a pe team in sg. Do you mean that most of the sea deals are sourced in the hk office instead of Singapores.

Im not interested in being in asset management or pwm although i know that Singapore is a regional hub for it.

Just wanted to ask why you said that the Asian pe market is small. I understand that the pe market is not mature in asia as compared to europe/us. However, dosent the new kkr, apollos or bxs asia fund size indicate that LPs are interested in getting the chinese/sea investment despite lower returns.

Again, im just a student so I might be highly inaccurate.
Old 02-08-2020, 11:35 AM
Unregistered

Hey guys

This post isnt for asking for career advice.

What do you think about DB moving their apac hq to Singapore. I assume this is due to them distancing themselves from China. However, is it likely that they will move back immediately after the november election when things cool down?

Cheers

Old 02-08-2020, 09:38 PM
Unregistered

Default bad gpa

I have recently graduated from one of the 3 local unis with a fin/acc degree. I have previously interned with a global AM fund for 7 mths in an investment analyst role. Unfortunately, the firm does not hire fresh grads. I graduated with a gpa of 3.9+/5 (second lower). With my cv, is it possible to get into any decent AM firms. If not, would I stand a chance for smaller firms and how much do they pay for fresh grads?

Thanks!
Old 03-08-2020, 04:33 AM
Unregistered

Quote:
I have recently graduated from one of the 3 local unis with a fin/acc degree. I have previously interned with a global AM fund for 7 mths in an investment analyst role. Unfortunately, the firm does not hire fresh grads. I graduated with a gpa of 3.9+/5 (second lower). With my cv, is it possible to get into any decent AM firms. If not, would I stand a chance for smaller firms and how much do they pay for fresh grads?

Thanks!
Probably low chance with AM firms. But why not just try and apply?
Old 03-08-2020, 04:04 PM

equiteer is on a distinguished road

Quote:
To the author of this thread (Equiteer), I wonder if there is any method we can connect here in sg haha, would like to have a tea with you (and it is on me).

Basically I am currently in public investing for less than 2 years but thinking of making a switch to private equity. I am wondering if the risk/reward is worth it for me to make the move.
yes, pm me--i made the same move.

Primary School English Grammar and Vocabulary Drills
Primary School English Grammar and Vocabulary Drills

SG Bus Timing App
SG Bus Timing App - the best bus app - available on iOS and Android

Bursa Stocks Android App - check share prices
Bursa Stocks [Android] App - check latest share prices on the go

SGX Stocks Android App - check share prices
SGX Stocks [Android] App - check latest share prices on the go

SGX Stocks for iPad - check latest Singapore share prices
SGX Stocks [iPad] app
| SGX Stocks [iPhone] app
Old 03-08-2020, 04:18 PM

equiteer is on a distinguished road

Quote:

To my knowledge, megafunds don't run structured analyst/associate programs here--hiring is usually as needed / ad-hoc. Teams are small and seats are few so competition is arguably even tougher.

If you're set on building a career in PE in this region, I'd say broaden your horizons to smaller mid-mkt / regional firms as well. The pay may be slightly lower than at the megas but it's still at the top end of most financial careers. Deal flow also tends to be better and promotions faster if you get into the right seat at the right time.