Salary.sg Forums

Salary.sg Forums (https://forums.salary.sg/)
-   Income and Jobs (https://forums.salary.sg/income-jobs/)
-   -   High Finance Thread (https://forums.salary.sg/income-jobs/11831-high-finance-thread.html)

Unregistered 05-07-2020 05:15 PM

How to enter the banking/investment industry

Currently a student pursing a diploma in International trade and business in Ngee ann poly.

Interested in working in the banking/investment industry (probably M&A, PE, Capital/debt underwriting, etc).

My GPA is aroud 3.6. Might not be able to enter local Uni.

What are the options and paths for me to enter this industry?

Is it very challenging to get hired?

Which jobs in banking and investment do not require 10+ hours/ day and still pay a high pay?

Unregistered 05-07-2020 05:19 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Unregistered (Post 140967)
Currently a student pursing a diploma in International trade and business in Ngee ann poly.

Interested in working in the banking/investment industry (probably M&A, PE, Capital/debt underwriting, etc).

Which jobs in banking and investment do not require 10+ hours/ day and still pay a high pay?

Honestly, I was ready to give you some proper advice, but your last question has convinced me otherwise.

There're many barriers that are possible to be overcome (not as intelligent, lack of money, no connections) to get into banking, but laziness is not one of them. Try another field.

Unregistered 05-07-2020 06:43 PM

hi im a fresh grad currently working in a non-banking firm. i have a biz degree w major in finance from local uni (NTU/SMU/NUS). my grades arent bad its borderline first class honors. wanted to work in a bank ( middle office such as risk / treasury / ALM or FO for corporate /transaction banking) when i graduated but couldnt get any opportunities to.

Im curious to know if its possible to switch to that field after 1-2 years. I am thinking of getting the CFA/FRM certifications. I would also like to ask if it will help in future applications or is banking just locked out to most people if u dont get it the first time round?

I wanna switch to banking because i really enjoyed what i studied in university (finance/markets/credit analysis/valuations etc).

thanks for the help guys!

Anarki95 05-07-2020 06:53 PM

I have a friend who works in investment banking firm for 2 years and burn out. Decided to change career. The work wise is very stressful but at the same time it’s prestigious. Try getting into SMU . If you can’t enter local Uni, there’s very slim chance that you will make it in high finance. Unless , you are able to network around and build connections in the PE/IB industry.

Unregistered 05-07-2020 09:53 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Unregistered (Post 140974)
hi im a fresh grad currently working in a non-banking firm. i have a biz degree w major in finance from local uni (NTU/SMU/NUS). my grades arent bad its borderline first class honors. wanted to work in a bank ( middle office such as risk / treasury / ALM or FO for corporate /transaction banking) when i graduated but couldnt get any opportunities to.

Im curious to know if its possible to switch to that field after 1-2 years. I am thinking of getting the CFA/FRM certifications. I would also like to ask if it will help in future applications or is banking just locked out to most people if u dont get it the first time round?

I wanna switch to banking because i really enjoyed what i studied in university (finance/markets/credit analysis/valuations etc).

1st class cannont go mid office ? i smell smoke

Anarki95 05-07-2020 10:31 PM

Quote:

Honestly speaking , do you know someone who is working in those company? Do you have any network?

And don’t waste time taking CFA/FRM. Find work experience first. A CFA is only useful if you have 4 years of working experience. Try not to be picky and build your portfolio of working experience.

Unregistered 05-07-2020 11:46 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Unregistered (Post 140967)

I'm in one. But for a start your attitude is wrong. If we take in ppl like you, the whole world will be in front office. Dumbest question.

Unregistered 06-07-2020 10:00 AM

Quote:

I'm guessing you had no banking internships when you were studying? If not, I don't see a reason why you're unable to even obtain a MO role when you have first class.

Unregistered 06-07-2020 01:47 PM

hey , yes i did not have an banking internships during my studies. thats why i couldnt get any roles when i graduated.

Unregistered 08-07-2020 10:42 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Unregistered (Post 141061)
hey , yes i did not have an banking internships during my studies. thats why i couldnt get any roles when i graduated.

Tough luck then. Banks prioritize candidates with banking internships when hiring fresh grads, so you're right in the sense that if you didn't start early in banking, you're locked out. If you're desperate enough, you can take up contract roles and hope they convert you to full time.