Salary.sg Forums  

Go Back   Salary.sg Forums > The Salary.sg Discussion Forums: > Income and Jobs

Income and Jobs Discuss jobs, career options and of course salaries

High Finance Thread

Old 14-05-2022, 06:40 PM
Unregistered

Quote:
Originally Posted by Unregistered View Post
I assume I can't work overseas. Do you think students coming from non-supertargets (so like... northwestern, ucl, Mich Ross) have difficulty finding jobs back in SG because of the difficulty involved in recruiting across the ocean? Like networking, coffee chats (the informal recruitment process), etc
Obviously it is always better to be situated in the area that you are applying jobs for. But offices (applies to IB) would have been a lot more comfortable with video interviews due to covid. Maybe they might maintain that type of flexibility for future.

Importance of networking or those information sessions and coffee chat is arguable. You can get interviews without impressing people via networking. At least that was how it is in my time, and I doubt it changes a lot.

Not sure how well those schools that you mentioned stack in terms of preference for IB interviews. I think they are ok. It is not like SG business schools are that hard to get in nowadays. 10th percentile is apparently BBB for NTU/SMU? GPA (for first internship) and internships and other stuff are more important.

Old 14-05-2022, 08:01 PM
Unregistered

If you want to do IB, the cheapest way is to go SMU/NUS/NTU and join their top tier investment club (i.e SMIF/Nanyang Capital/NUS Investment Society respectively). Not only is it the cheapest way, it is very effective. Just go and do a quick linkedin search and look at all the IB analysts in SG in bulge bracket banks and see their profiles, it is dominated by ppl from these unis and ccas.

You do get very strong technical training and you meet peers who are also fellow finance hardos, there are alot of benefits both in terms of peer learning and help from alumni/seniors too.

unless you are going HYP/wharton/oxford/lse, i wouldn't bother with an overseas education, given the costs involved and that it honestly isn't going to increase the chances of you getting into IB (it might get you a 1st rnd interview at best but when the interviewers realize the peeps from local unis are way more knowledgeable and competent, you sure as hell won't be getting the internship/full time role even if you are from harvard. that said, if you prove to be as competent as the locals during the interviews, then i guess holding all else equal, you may indeed have the edge in getting the role). unless you really want to have that once in a lifetime experience of living abroad independently, but then again you could also do that for a semester by doing an exchange programme if you are enrolled into one of sg's local unis.

Old 14-05-2022, 10:56 PM
Unregistered

Quote:
If you want to do IB, the cheapest way is to go SMU/NUS/NTU and join their top tier investment club (i.e SMIF/Nanyang Capital/NUS Investment Society respectively). Not only is it the cheapest way, it is very effective. Just go and do a quick linkedin search and look at all the IB analysts in SG in bulge bracket banks and see their profiles, it is dominated by ppl from these unis and ccas.

You do get very strong technical training and you meet peers who are also fellow finance hardos, there are alot of benefits both in terms of peer learning and help from alumni/seniors too.

unless you are going HYP/wharton/oxford/lse, i wouldn't bother with an overseas education, given the costs involved and that it honestly isn't going to increase the chances of you getting into IB (it might get you a 1st rnd interview at best but when the interviewers realize the peeps from local unis are way more knowledgeable and competent, you sure as hell won't be getting the internship/full time role even if you are from harvard. that said, if you prove to be as competent as the locals during the interviews, then i guess holding all else equal, you may indeed have the edge in getting the role). unless you really want to have that once in a lifetime experience of living abroad independently, but then again you could also do that for a semester by doing an exchange programme if you are enrolled into one of sg's local unis.
People need to understand that in banking, personality and likability is the most important trait. Those hardos all start pre-uni. When their peers are going for FOPs chasing skirts/clubbing, they’re doing stock pitches and case comp. Fun fact those from poly have 3 years headstart to JC students. While jc kids are studying Chemistry, these poly kids already know accounting. If i’m going to work 80hrs with you, I’d take a fun likable dude over the
hardo any day, assuming a baseline of technical proficiency. Life is not all about IB guys, get laid, have your heart broken, go on overseas trips, do stupid ****!

Old 14-05-2022, 11:31 PM
Unregistered

Quote:
Can confirm 12k/mo is the norm now

Can anyone confirm the bonus range?
8-12 months
Old 15-05-2022, 12:47 AM
Unregistered

Quote:

People need to realize that in banking, personality and likability are very important traits. These hardos you mentioned, when their peers are going for FOPs/clubbing and chasing skirts, they're already doing stock pitches and case competitions. Fun fact, poly students have a 3 year headstart to jc kids. while the jc students are learning physics/chemistry, they already learn accounting. Poly students actually have a distinct advantage. If I'm working 80hrs with you, I'll pick the likable guy over the hardo anyday, assuming a baseline of technical proficiency. Life is not about IB guys, go get laid, get your heart broken, go on overseas trips, do stupid ****! So many hardo freshies tried to networked with me, my advice to them is always to enjoy their uni life.
Old 15-05-2022, 01:22 AM
Unregistered

Quote:
It does not matter. If you're good you're good. These unis are okay. The overseas experience you'll gain is valuable imo. If expenses allow just go. Its not like youre going to a CC lmao
update i withdrew from oversea uni. risk was too high.

Old 15-05-2022, 01:25 AM
Unregistered

Quote:
People need to realize that in banking, personality and likability are very important traits. These hardos you mentioned, when their peers are going for FOPs/clubbing and chasing skirts, they're already doing stock pitches and case competitions. Fun fact, poly students have a 3 year headstart to jc kids. while the jc students are learning physics/chemistry, they already learn accounting. Poly students actually have a distinct advantage. If I'm working 80hrs with you, I'll pick the likable guy over the hardo anyday, assuming a baseline of technical proficiency. Life is not about IB guys, go get laid, get your heart broken, go on overseas trips, do stupid ****! So many hardo freshies tried to networked with me, my advice to them is always to enjoy their uni life.
I think it's fair to plan in advance, especially for jobs that realistically require multiple prior related internships. the issue comes when ppl make it the sole purpose of their uni life. i read a funny comment on wso that was like "i dont think our work is that hard so ill pick the guy who wont make me want to blow my brains out"
Old 15-05-2022, 09:18 AM
Unregistered

Quote:
8-12 months
On new base? 8-12 months on new base would mean A1 is bringing home almost 300k pre-tax!
Old 15-05-2022, 09:20 AM
Unregistered

Quote:
But the fact is that poly students only make like less than 5% of high finance full timers? Like it or not most high finance candidates are from top JCs like HCI/RI.

The biggest excuse lametard tell themselves are that smart people are nerds and hardos. Bro some people are just smarter than you and they are just likeable/social/whatever as you are.
Old 15-05-2022, 09:20 AM
Unregistered

Quote:
But the fact is that poly students only make like less than 5% of high finance full timers? Like it or not most high finance candidates are from top JCs like HCI/RI.

The biggest excuse people tell themselves are that smart people are nerds and hardos. Bro some people are just smarter than you and they are just likeable/social/whatever as you are.