High Finance Thread - Page 2 - Salary.sg Forums
Salary.sg Forums  

Go Back   Salary.sg Forums > The Salary.sg Discussion Forums: > Income and Jobs

Income and Jobs Discuss jobs, career options and of course salaries




High Finance Thread

Reply
 
Thread Tools
  #11 (permalink)  
Old 29-07-2019, 01:02 AM
Unregistered
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Unregistered View Post
personally, i'm interested in equity research or sale and trading, but given my big 4 tax advisory background, how do i go about changing field?
For Sales and Trading, it is almost impossible to break into the field as an experienced hire without a strong quantitative degree (Math, Engineering, CS etc) or relevant experience. I assume you have an Accountancy degree?

For Equity Research, it is very possible since they are not really particular about any specific background. However, a background in tax would be less competitive/attractive as compared to Corporate Finance or even Audit since it is less finance-related compared to these fields. Since you are already in the Big 4, the ideal path would be to first lateral into the Transaction Advisory/Valuation team. The scope of work and skill set required by these teams would be more aligned to that of ER, in that they are more finance-related (Involves Financial Statement Analysis, Modelling etc).

If not, you can try looking at boutique corporate finance advisory firms by performing searches on Google or Linkedin. There would usually be a company e-mail or phone number listed on their website which you can try using to contact and introduce yourself. These firms are usually less stringent compared to other more established shops with regards to relevant experience.

Either way, you have to demonstrate interest in investing in general. These can mean reading investment-related books (think Securities Analysis or Intelligent Investor), keeping up with financial news (CNBC, WSJ, FT). Most importantly, you need to learn how to make and justify an investment recommendation. I would recommend seekingalpha.com, which really gives you a good exposure to how an investment recommendation is crafted. If you have not already done so, you should start working towards the CFA charter since they are highly-respected in the ER field and will certainly be a huge boost in your candidacy.

Lastly, networking is key so try reaching out to as many professionals on Linkedin, websites etc.



Primary School English Grammar and Vocabulary Drills
Primary School English Grammar and Vocabulary Drills


SG Bus Timing App
SG Bus Timing App - the best bus app - available on iOS and Android


SGX Stocks Android App - check share prices
SGX Stocks [Android] App - check latest share prices on the go


SGX Stocks for iPad - check latest Singapore share prices
SGX Stocks [iPad] app
| SGX Stocks [iPhone] app
Reply With Quote
  #12 (permalink)  
Old 30-07-2019, 09:13 PM
Unregistered
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Unregistered View Post
How does the pay in PE compare to IB? Is IB entry level pay rly 10k+pm?
I've seen quite a big range for both. BB banks and large cap PE are comparable for junior roles (analyst to associate). For mid-market or bigger boutique firms, PE attracts better talent and hence has to pay more. For smaller firms (<15 headcount), it can be anything really.

And yes, for IB at decent firms, analyst base salary is in 5 figs per month.

Reply With Quote
  #13 (permalink)  
Old 30-07-2019, 10:16 PM
Unregistered
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Unregistered View Post
Thanks for starting this thread OP. i am in my early 30s and am a corp tax manager in a big 4 in the tax advisory space (done some tax due diligence etc) and am interested in moving out of tax and into high finance. What are my best options in consideration of my experience?

Appreciate the help!
time is running out

your best bet is to enroll in a M7 MBA program and summer as an associate

Reply With Quote
  #14 (permalink)  
Old 31-07-2019, 11:55 PM
Unregistered
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Unregistered View Post
time is running out

your best bet is to enroll in a M7 MBA program and summer as an associate
Not sure if an M7 MBA is optimal for OP at this point, given the cost and time commitment required.

These programs usually takes at least a year to complete (at least 2 years from now since recruitment for the upcoming intake is over) and are really expensive (>USD100K), not to mention that entry are insanely competitive (flooded with MBB Consultants, BB IB Analysts, F50 MAs etc). To be considered one would need to possess nothing less than an exceptional professional background and a high GMAT/GRE score, which will likely require a significant amount of time to study for as well.

An MBA isn't really useful for ER/HF and would be more appropriate for IB/PE. An MFin at a local university like SMU seems a viable option though, given its lower entry requirements and significantly lower fees (~SGD40K). However, you would have to prepare for the GMAT/GRE still and the course duration is also similar (1-2 years).

Networking and persistence are really key here. I would suggest looking at boutique funds and contacting the relevant personnel (more senior staff like managers/senior analysts), asking them if they are willing to meet up for coffee chats or informal interviews. Of course, you need to be very well-prepared for any questions and demonstrate interest (CFA, technical knowledge) for them to consider you as a potential hire.

Just my 2 cents.
Reply With Quote
  #15 (permalink)  
Old 02-08-2019, 11:06 PM
Unregistered
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Default Equity funds

Hi, which will you consider as good equity funds in Singapore? Both long only and hedge funds in terms of returns/career progression /culture/pay as a junior?
Reply With Quote
  #16 (permalink)  
Old 02-08-2019, 11:20 PM
Unregistered
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Unregistered View Post
Not sure if an M7 MBA is optimal for OP at this point, given the cost and time commitment required.

These programs usually takes at least a year to complete (at least 2 years from now since recruitment for the upcoming intake is over) and are really expensive (>USD100K), not to mention that entry are insanely competitive (flooded with MBB Consultants, BB IB Analysts, F50 MAs etc). To be considered one would need to possess nothing less than an exceptional professional background and a high GMAT/GRE score, which will likely require a significant amount of time to study for as well.

An MBA isn't really useful for ER/HF and would be more appropriate for IB/PE. An MFin at a local university like SMU seems a viable option though, given its lower entry requirements and significantly lower fees (~SGD40K). However, you would have to prepare for the GMAT/GRE still and the course duration is also similar (1-2 years).

Networking and persistence are really key here. I would suggest looking at boutique funds and contacting the relevant personnel (more senior staff like managers/senior analysts), asking them if they are willing to meet up for coffee chats or informal interviews. Of course, you need to be very well-prepared for any questions and demonstrate interest (CFA, technical knowledge) for them to consider you as a potential hire.

Just my 2 cents.
Am not the OP, graduated 3 years ago with a local uni biz degree
Worked as an accountant during this time

Am looking to breaking into finance, have been taking the CFA exams

Any advice for me
Reply With Quote

  #17 (permalink)  
Old 03-08-2019, 03:57 AM
Unregistered
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Unregistered View Post
IB can range from 6 to 10k entry. ~70 hour work weeks expected tho, 14 hours daily
14 hours a day? wah damn shiok. my friends at CS half the analyst still online at 2-3am most days


Primary School English Grammar and Vocabulary Drills
Primary School English Grammar and Vocabulary Drills


SG Bus Timing App
SG Bus Timing App - the best bus app - available on iOS and Android


SGX Stocks Android App - check share prices
SGX Stocks [Android] App - check latest share prices on the go


SGX Stocks for iPad - check latest Singapore share prices
SGX Stocks [iPad] app
| SGX Stocks [iPhone] app
Reply With Quote
  #18 (permalink)  
Old 03-08-2019, 03:58 AM
Unregistered
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Unregistered View Post
Hi, which will you consider as good equity funds in Singapore? Both long only and hedge funds in terms of returns/career progression /culture/pay as a junior?
point72 lor. starting grad pay 16k
Reply With Quote
  #19 (permalink)  
Old 03-08-2019, 04:00 AM
Unregistered
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Default

For OP, if I'm in a top-tier BB in Singapore IBD ranking (so JPM/MS/CS), what kind of shops should I be looking to recruit on buy side apart from BX/KKR etc?

Will GIC be a good exit? Heard the pay is roughly the same but better hours
Reply With Quote
  #20 (permalink)  
Old 03-08-2019, 12:56 PM
Unregistered
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Unregistered View Post
Am not the OP, graduated 3 years ago with a local uni biz degree
Worked as an accountant during this time

Am looking to breaking into finance, have been taking the CFA exams

Any advice for me
Which part of finance do you intend to break into? You can refer to the post by the OP of the thread if you are unsure.

Also, what sort of firm are you working in right now? Like in Big 4 or MNCs or local SMEs etc?
Reply With Quote
Reply

Bookmarks

Tags
finance, fund management, ibd, m&a, pevc

« Previous Thread | Next Thread »
Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are Off


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Official Lasik/ Relexsmile Thread shirlyn General Discussions 1 18-06-2016 06:33 PM
Household Expenses Breakdown Thread mugster Income and Jobs 10 21-10-2015 09:01 AM
The Gem of UK property (High yield, High Growth, Positive cash flow) newsgprop Market Talk 4 12-01-2015 12:03 PM
UNISIM Alumni thread Gradsoon Income and Jobs 3 25-02-2014 04:38 AM
SIM-UOL Degree in Econs/Finance or Accounting/Finance Shenanigans Income and Jobs 3 07-07-2012 12:41 PM

» 30 Recent Threads
Whats your net worth ( 1 2 3... Last Page)
2,888 Replies, 1,005,506 Views
High Finance Thread ( 1 2 3... Last Page)
440 Replies, 141,959 Views
Q: Big4 - Yearly salary increment ( 1 2 3... Last Page)
5,043 Replies, 1,667,897 Views
Singtel Management Associate... ( 1 2 3... Last Page)
508 Replies, 186,330 Views
Htx ( 1 2 3... Last Page)
57 Replies, 7,055 Views
GovTech ( 1 2 3... Last Page)
1,468 Replies, 461,423 Views
JP Morgan ( 1 2 3... Last Page)
113 Replies, 71,649 Views
Lawyer Salary ( 1 2 3... Last Page)
15,507 Replies, 5,323,724 Views
Career as Teacher ( 1 2 3... Last Page)
4,321 Replies, 2,801,465 Views
OCBC Bank
2 Replies, 116 Views
UOB Management Associate Program ( 1 2 3... Last Page)
627 Replies, 325,294 Views
ST Electronics ( 1 2 3... Last Page)
2,476 Replies, 686,922 Views
MINDEF DXO (All FAQ on it) ( 1 2 3... Last Page)
4,491 Replies, 2,753,560 Views
Compare civil service salary ( 1 2 3... Last Page)
13,296 Replies, 7,863,866 Views
MAS for Mid Career Professionals ( 1 2 3... Last Page)
761 Replies, 369,443 Views
Shopee fresh grad pay ( 1 2 3... Last Page)
192 Replies, 73,926 Views
How rich/poor am I compared to... ( 1 2 3... Last Page)
102 Replies, 91,166 Views
How is life as a doctor in... ( 1 2 3... Last Page)
3,446 Replies, 1,609,701 Views
If you can't find a company here... ( 1 2 3... Last Page)
49 Replies, 6,410 Views
Compilation of MAs/Analysts Gross... ( 1 2 3... Last Page)
871 Replies, 267,228 Views
Mizuho Securities
0 Replies, 53 Views
Mizuho Financial Group
0 Replies, 46 Views
Jeppesen
0 Replies, 26 Views
Boeing
0 Replies, 33 Views
Vital Limited
0 Replies, 43 Views
PMO (Prime Minister's Office...
0 Replies, 83 Views
Amazon
0 Replies, 47 Views
PayPal
0 Replies, 46 Views
CSA (Cyber Security Agency) ( 1 2 3... Last Page)
371 Replies, 131,403 Views
Banks' Pay and Bonuses ( 1 2 3... Last Page)
452 Replies, 200,619 Views
Powered by vBadvanced CMPS v3.2.2



All times are GMT +8. The time now is 09:06 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.5
Copyright ©2000 - 2022, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Content Relevant URLs by vBSEO 3.3.2