Salary.sg Forums

Salary.sg Forums (https://forums.salary.sg/)
-   Income and Jobs (https://forums.salary.sg/income-jobs/)
-   -   High Finance Thread (https://forums.salary.sg/income-jobs/11831-high-finance-thread.html)

Unregistered 13-09-2020 09:37 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Unregistered (Post 145459)
Again, don't split MO/BO, they are in the same salary bracket. I don't know which bank you are from, and why you think MO makes more than BO.. This is a common misconception so I don't blame you. I am in a BB now and was from another BB earlier. An ops FRESH VP base is only 8k -9.5k per month. A fresh grad analyst in FO is 10k. During my first year in FO, full one year compensation was 165k including bonus. An ops VP old or new collects maximum 2 months, and on average 1 month bonus across the board. I know because we invite ops managers for drinks yearly to thank them for the support. I have been in this line for 6 years, don't let the AVP/VP title fool you, there is a reason why FO salary is called superscale.

Not talking about banks with AVP/VP titles -- just Analyst > Assoc > VP > ED etc.

BB FO 10k is mostly IBD analysts, roles like WM can start as low at 5.5k even at a mid-tier BB. There is a subtle difference between MO/BO in terms of progression and bonus (Trader Assistant > Compliance/Settlements)

Another pointer for OP to note: Local Bank FO to BB FO is NOT easy. But to each its own, because FO ultimately earns more than MO/BO but the work-life balance etc is something for you to ponder. Once you reach the VP level, you are expected to bring in business and from there it's either "up or out".

Unregistered 23-09-2020 10:57 PM

Hey sg big 3 uni student here. Interested to know about Singapore's hedge fund industry. I have been trading for a couple of year with savings and have managed to get roughly 20% irr from $1000 3 years ago to around 1750 now. Could have been higher if i hadn't shorted tesla. I didn't really need the extra money. I was just trading for fun.

However, now in my final year i have to start looking for a career i'm passionate in. How large are hf teams in Singapore. How many pods do the large-cap funds have? What is the analyst to pm ratio in these funds.

I read that citadel is opening a Singapore base. Does that mean they see potential in our sub 1 trillion market cap exchange to grow? Also do these funds hire from undergrad or only from elite mfpe/bb groups?

I am taking a degree in cs and my math is also solid. Does Singapore have many opportunities for quant trades?

Unregistered 24-09-2020 12:15 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Unregistered (Post 146109)
Hey sg big 3 uni student here. Interested to know about Singapore's hedge fund industry. I have been trading for a couple of year with savings and have managed to get roughly 20% irr from $1000 3 years ago to around 1750 now. Could have been higher if i hadn't shorted tesla. I didn't really need the extra money. I was just trading for fun.

However, now in my final year i have to start looking for a career i'm passionate in. How large are hf teams in Singapore. How many pods do the large-cap funds have? What is the analyst to pm ratio in these funds.

I read that citadel is opening a Singapore base. Does that mean they see potential in our sub 1 trillion market cap exchange to grow? Also do these funds hire from undergrad or only from elite mfpe/bb groups?

I am taking a degree in cs and my math is also solid. Does Singapore have many opportunities for quant trades?

Tough luck son. Even ivy league student joined my firm as a trainee in s&t.

Unregistered 24-09-2020 02:52 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Unregistered (Post 146115)
Tough luck son. Even ivy league student joined my firm as a trainee in s&t.

Honestly Ivy League/Stanford/MIT/Oxbridge is only 1 level higher than big 3 local uni, if you go by QS rankings.

Unregistered 02-10-2020 02:31 AM

Anyone knows what is a realistic range to expect for s'pore VC analyst for fresh grad? Assuming 9-12 mth of VC intern experience overseas during undergrad. Don't want to get low balled. Thanks!

villan 02-10-2020 08:57 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Unregistered (Post 146528)
Anyone knows what is a realistic range to expect for s'pore VC analyst for fresh grad? Assuming 9-12 mth of VC intern experience overseas during undergrad. Don't want to get low balled. Thanks!

3-5k

10char

Unregistered 03-10-2020 01:20 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Unregistered (Post 146528)

this obviously depends on the firm and aum. any rando with access bit of money can start a vc fund these days so willingness to pay for talent will vary greatly.

Unregistered 06-10-2020 01:33 PM

Hi thank you for your posts and opinion, it's been really insightful and helpful.

Think someone mentioned about transaction banking earlier, and someone else replied saying transaction banking's FO pays one of the lowest.

Can I just ask if the career path or prospects for transaction banking is good? I'm currently applying for all the different SA programs hence the question.

Thank you for your help!

Unregistered 07-10-2020 01:55 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by villan (Post 146538)
3-5k

10char

wow I heard VCs don't pay well here, this is just about what the median salary for fresh grad is, in finance right? The management associate programs range 3-4K?

sampz 10-10-2020 01:39 AM

Temasek Summer Associate

Anyone else applying Temasek 2021 SA, and knows whether Temasek has started giving out superdays?