High Finance Thread - Page 129 - Salary.sg Forums
Salary.sg Forums  

Go Back   Salary.sg Forums > The Salary.sg Discussion Forums: > Income and Jobs

Income and Jobs Discuss jobs, career options and of course salaries




High Finance Thread

Reply
 
Thread Tools
  #1281 (permalink)  
Old 26-07-2022, 07:07 PM
Unregistered
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Default

Hi guys, undergrad here with internship stints in both sellside and buyside. Would like to ask if there is any significant disadvantage to joining buyside straight out of school? What are some considerations (exit opps/mobility/hours etc) one should note?

Understand that not many PE firms recruit fresh grads. But there are grad programs in firms such as PG and BX/BLK. Is it possible to join KKR/CVC/Ares from buyside firms?

Reply With Quote
  #1282 (permalink)  
Old 26-07-2022, 08:52 PM
Unregistered
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Default

Anything is possible if you are good.

But just look at linkedin to see which is the most trodden path for the least risk (if that's what you are looking for).

If you start in buy side, you may want to work on your technicals as sometimes your PM / partner might want to do something they are familiar with (esp public markets) and you might not get to do the same kind of high precision, granular modelling (esp at a point of transaction with full transparency into many metrics). But you will be more developed in your thinking and ability to take a more differentiated view on assets, taking into industry-specific peculiarities or other factors.

Opposite for sell-side training, you probably can go in-depth into complexity and processes and most folks trust you've had the regimental training, but you don't really own your assumptions. Some sell-side folks I've interviewed build a nice-looking model but most items are just CAGRed out based on L3Y financials with no real view on why they are doing so. So building on 'buy side' thinking will be important.

Reply With Quote
  #1283 (permalink)  
Old 26-07-2022, 11:54 PM
Unregistered
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Unregistered View Post
Hi guys, undergrad here with internship stints in both sellside and buyside. Would like to ask if there is any significant disadvantage to joining buyside straight out of school? What are some considerations (exit opps/mobility/hours etc) one should note?

Understand that not many PE firms recruit fresh grads. But there are grad programs in firms such as PG and BX/BLK. Is it possible to join KKR/CVC/Ares from buyside firms?
Why would you worry about exit opps if you start in an investment role in buyside? Exiting from there just means you move into a more corporate role (non investment). I don't think is what most people here are thinking of unless you are more interested in climbing the corporate ladder than being in investments.

If you snag an ideal role with a decent buyside firm, I think the answer is really why worry. No point overthinking it unless you want to get the sell side experience which some actually do want it.

Also depends on if you have a preference of public markets and private markets. From sell side, you can switch into buyside in both private / public. I would assume grad programs if available, tend to be more public markets.

Reply With Quote
  #1284 (permalink)  
Old 27-07-2022, 09:12 AM
Unregistered
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Unregistered View Post
Why would you worry about exit opps if you start in an investment role in buyside? Exiting from there just means you move into a more corporate role (non investment). I don't think is what most people here are thinking of unless you are more interested in climbing the corporate ladder than being in investments.

If you snag an ideal role with a decent buyside firm, I think the answer is really why worry. No point overthinking it unless you want to get the sell side experience which some actually do want it.

Also depends on if you have a preference of public markets and private markets. From sell side, you can switch into buyside in both private / public. I would assume grad programs if available, tend to be more public markets.
I believe there are tiers in buyside as well. So I am wondering if it is possible to go from a boutique PE to a MFPE?
Reply With Quote
  #1285 (permalink)  
Old 27-07-2022, 11:34 AM
Unregistered
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Default

Does brand name (GS,JPM vs OCBC etc) matter more for FO (IB) roles than in BO (Ops) role?
Reply With Quote
  #1286 (permalink)  
Old 27-07-2022, 01:39 PM
Unregistered
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Unregistered View Post
Does brand name (GS,JPM vs OCBC etc) matter more for FO (IB) roles than in BO (Ops) role?
Yes 10character
Reply With Quote

  #1287 (permalink)  
Old 27-07-2022, 02:16 PM
Unregistered
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Unregistered View Post
I believe there are tiers in buyside as well. So I am wondering if it is possible to go from a boutique PE to a MFPE?
Not familiar with PE, but I don't see why not. Ultimately, it boils down to your experience built, the opportunities at that time of switching, and you acing that interview.

Of course, it will be great if you start off with one of the better shops and the mobility is better from there. But nothing is there to prevent you from upgrading as long as you are starting off in a proper setup and doing the right work.
Reply With Quote
  #1288 (permalink)  
Old 27-07-2022, 07:28 PM
Unregistered
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Unregistered View Post
Yes 10character
lol so you're saying gs ops > ocbc ib?? bruh....
Reply With Quote
  #1289 (permalink)  
Old 27-07-2022, 10:09 PM
Unregistered
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Unregistered View Post
lol so you're saying gs ops > ocbc ib?? bruh....
Dude maybe you can read the question again..
Reply With Quote
  #1290 (permalink)  
Old 28-07-2022, 08:03 PM
Unregistered
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Unregistered View Post
lol so you're saying gs ops > ocbc ib?? bruh....
lmao if you in ocbc ib you'd be better off going gs ops
Reply With Quote
Reply

Bookmarks

Tags
finance, fund management, ibd, m&a, pevc

« Previous Thread | Next Thread »
Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are Off


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Official Lasik/ Relexsmile Thread shirlyn General Discussions 1 18-06-2016 06:33 PM
Household Expenses Breakdown Thread mugster Income and Jobs 10 21-10-2015 09:01 AM
The Gem of UK property (High yield, High Growth, Positive cash flow) newsgprop Market Talk 4 12-01-2015 12:03 PM
UNISIM Alumni thread Gradsoon Income and Jobs 3 25-02-2014 04:38 AM
SIM-UOL Degree in Econs/Finance or Accounting/Finance Shenanigans Income and Jobs 3 07-07-2012 12:41 PM

» 30 Recent Threads
Career as Teacher ( 1 2 3... Last Page)
7,019 Replies, 4,446,771 Views
Lawyer Salary ( 1 2 3... Last Page)
18,806 Replies, 7,938,870 Views
Work culture in IHiS ( 1 2 3... Last Page)
399 Replies, 304,023 Views
DBS tech seed programme ( 1 2 3... Last Page)
2,806 Replies, 912,118 Views
Micron starting pay ( 1 2 3... Last Page)
660 Replies, 269,544 Views
Working in NEA ( 1 2 3... Last Page)
90 Replies, 116,344 Views
IMDA (under MCI) ( 1 2 3... Last Page)
463 Replies, 226,970 Views
Roles in accenture singapore ( 1 2 3... Last Page)
5,665 Replies, 1,405,477 Views
How much CPF do u have? ( 1 2 3... Last Page)
64 Replies, 37,216 Views
MINDEF DXO (All FAQ on it) ( 1 2 3... Last Page)
5,026 Replies, 3,590,505 Views
DSTA (under Mindef) ( 1 2 3... Last Page)
1,261 Replies, 1,023,071 Views
Health Promotion Board
8 Replies, 7,489 Views
How much are you earning per annum? ( 1 2 3... Last Page)
13,555 Replies, 5,643,042 Views
Civil Svc/ Statboard - Typical... ( 1 2 3... Last Page)
4,993 Replies, 2,782,909 Views
Compare Your Annual Income ( 1 2 3... Last Page)
32 Replies, 9,615 Views
Job Application with MOE... ( 1 2 3... Last Page)
451 Replies, 476,662 Views
Enterprise Singapore hiriing... ( 1 2 3... Last Page)
168 Replies, 165,651 Views
Civil Service Performance Bonus ( 1 2 3... Last Page)
4,275 Replies, 3,434,501 Views
NCS (SingTel subsidiary) ( 1 2 3... Last Page)
1,122 Replies, 798,083 Views
DSTA or CSIT ( 1 2)
17 Replies, 29,752 Views
MAS for Mid Career Professionals ( 1 2 3... Last Page)
1,340 Replies, 671,478 Views
Compare civil service salary ( 1 2 3... Last Page)
15,119 Replies, 10,270,431 Views
Htx ( 1 2 3... Last Page)
96 Replies, 64,674 Views
OCBC Graduate Talent Programme... ( 1 2 3... Last Page)
1,099 Replies, 479,365 Views
DBS ACE Programme ( 1 2 3... Last Page)
70 Replies, 23,339 Views
Shopee fresh grad pay ( 1 2 3... Last Page)
882 Replies, 269,039 Views
Comp Science Frsh Grad Salary ( 1 2 3... Last Page)
643 Replies, 203,301 Views
Q: Big4 - Yearly salary increment ( 1 2 3... Last Page)
9,929 Replies, 3,358,636 Views
For those with 2-5 YOE, what is... ( 1 2 3... Last Page)
1,103 Replies, 306,112 Views
Powered by vBadvanced CMPS v3.2.2



All times are GMT +8. The time now is 04:01 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.5
Copyright ©2000 - 2023, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Content Relevant URLs by vBSEO 3.3.2