Quote:
Originally Posted by Unregistered View Post
How much???
heard that this batch of summer analyst that convert will be paid 6k per month

Old 09-07-2022, 12:48 AM
Unregistered

Quote:
Yep my passion lies in that area. Wanted to learn more about the prospects of the role in supporting PMs.
Compared to my other offer as a business analyst, which role will have a better prospect?
Tbh u can’t start being a portfolio manager. You are nowhere near the skills when u just graduated from a local uni (knowing how “good” the modules are designed)
Most ppl are doing performance analysis and support before they are handed over a relatively smaller port to prove their abilities but u need to make sure u are under a front office team and not a glorified back office role (nth bad abt this cos I’m in one, but just make sure u are not tricked into being the support saikang forever)

Don’t go to b*s small shops be front office. Chances are u can’t jump off as easy as u think + u will be put at worse situation as years go back cos u also can’t qualify for a middle/back office cos your skills quite irrelevant

Old 09-07-2022, 01:43 AM
Unregistered

Quote:
Tbh u can’t start being a portfolio manager. You are nowhere near the skills when u just graduated from a local uni (knowing how “good” the modules are designed)
Most ppl are doing performance analysis and support before they are handed over a relatively smaller port to prove their abilities but u need to make sure u are under a front office team and not a glorified back office role (nth bad abt this cos I’m in one, but just make sure u are not tricked into being the support saikang forever)

Don’t go to b*s small shops be front office. Chances are u can’t jump off as easy as u think + u will be put at worse situation as years go back cos u also can’t qualify for a middle/back office cos your skills quite irrelevant
That’s really insightful! Glad to hear realistic advice amongst the trolls.
Quite sure I’ll be doing support especially in the beginning. Nonetheless it is one of the largest buy side firm around.
Any indicators to tell if it is an actual front office or a glorified back office?

Old 09-07-2022, 02:17 AM
Unregistered

Quote:

That’s really insightful! Great to hear realistic comments amongst the trolls.
I’m quite sure that I will be doing support initially. Im quite assured though as it is one of the largest buy side firms.
How can I tell if it is an actual front office role or a glorified back office position?
Old 09-07-2022, 01:49 PM
Unregistered

Quote:

That is really insightful! Glad to see helpful comments amongst the trolls.
Quite sure that I will be doing mainly support initially. Still I am quite assured as it is one of the biggest buy side firms around.
How can I tell if it is an actual front office role or a glorified back office position?
Old 09-07-2022, 03:55 PM
Unregistered

Quote:
That is really insightful! Glad to see helpful comments amongst the trolls.
Quite sure that I will be doing mainly support initially. Still I am quite assured as it is one of the biggest buy side firms around.
Which team you are in, what is your role and what is your output. Also depends on the programme and nature of the hire.

What is your degree? The nature of multi asset team is different from equities, fixed income or those who looked at both. So also depends on if it is what you like.

If it is one of the biggest international asset managers, it should be fine. Should have some upward mobility and flex depending on you.

Primary School English Grammar and Vocabulary Drills
Primary School English Grammar and Vocabulary Drills

SG Bus Timing App
SG Bus Timing App - the best bus app - available on iOS and Android

Bursa Stocks Android App - check share prices
Bursa Stocks [Android] App - check latest share prices on the go

SGX Stocks Android App - check share prices
SGX Stocks [Android] App - check latest share prices on the go

SGX Stocks for iPad - check latest Singapore share prices
SGX Stocks [iPad] app
| SGX Stocks [iPhone] app

Old 09-07-2022, 05:56 PM
Unregistered

Quote:
Which team you are in, what is your role and what is your output. Also depends on the programme and nature of the hire.

What is your degree? The nature of multi asset team is different from equities, fixed income or those who looked at both. So also depends on if it is what you like.

If it is one of the biggest international asset managers, it should be fine. Should have some upward mobility and flex depending on you.
I am in the multi asset DPM team, probably assisting the PMs with monitoring, asset screening and selection. Now that I look at it, it does sound like it is a glorified back office role. Hopefully I am wrong.

I only have a bachelors in finance and thought that I lucked out since many of these teams are only take in MBAs. Will that put me in a disadvantage? They do sponsor my CFAs as well.
Old 10-07-2022, 12:11 AM
Unregistered

Quote:
I am in the multi asset DPM team, probably assisting the PMs with monitoring, asset screening and selection. Now that I look at it, it does sound like it is a glorified back office role. Hopefully I am wrong.

I only have a bachelors in finance and thought that I lu9cked out since many of these teams are only take in MBAs. Will that put me in a disadvantage? They do sponsor my CFAs as well.
Bachelor of finance is fine vs MBA. Different shops may require abit more quantitative skills for the MA analyst

The role does sound multi asset like. So depends if this is a path that you are ok with. Top down, more quant-ish, do some comparison across asset class.
Old 11-07-2022, 04:36 PM
Unregistered

Quote:
Bachelor of finance is fine vs MBA. Different shops may require abit more quantitative skills for the MA analyst

The role does sound multi asset like. So depends if this is a path that you are ok with. Top down, more quant-ish, do some comparison across asset class.
That is comforting to know. Sounds pretty interesting to me. How are the career prospects? Knowing that few reach the PM level which is probably the peak and that they have have decades of experience, I am interested to know what entails in between. Analyst>Senior Analyst>???>Asst PM>PM?
Old 11-07-2022, 04:58 PM
Unregistered

Quote:
That is comforting to know. Sounds pretty interesting to me. How are the career prospects? Knowing that few reach the PM level which is probably the peak and that they have have decades of experience, I am interested to know what entails in between. Analyst>Senior Analyst>???>Asst PM>PM?
Not familiar with multi asset setup. PMs (junior or senior does not matter) essentially mean the AUM and P&L belong to you.

Assistant PM and analyst would probably be grey-ish for MA setup, since no one is really doing the bottom up type of things. So likely harder to say who is more analyst, who is more assistant PMs. In fact, everyone in MA team in my old shop call themselves PMs. So it is grey.

For other asset class, it is abit more obvious who is who, and depends on the setup of the team and firm. Some PMs just focus on portfolio management, some PMs still have its own coverage, while some analyst are involved in portfolio management. The career path for analyst can also be independent from PM branch. So it differs, and just go in with an open mind. It is more clear cut whether you are a PM and not a PM.