High Finance Thread - Page 124 - Salary.sg Forums
Salary.sg Forums  

Go Back   Salary.sg Forums > The Salary.sg Discussion Forums: > Income and Jobs

Income and Jobs Discuss jobs, career options and of course salaries




High Finance Thread

Reply
 
Thread Tools
  #1231 (permalink)  
Old 08-07-2022, 11:27 PM
Unregistered
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Unregistered View Post
How much???
heard that this batch of summer analyst that convert will be paid 6k per month

Reply With Quote
  #1232 (permalink)  
Old 09-07-2022, 12:48 AM
Unregistered
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Unregistered View Post
Yep my passion lies in that area. Wanted to learn more about the prospects of the role in supporting PMs.
Compared to my other offer as a business analyst, which role will have a better prospect?
Tbh u canít start being a portfolio manager. You are nowhere near the skills when u just graduated from a local uni (knowing how ďgoodĒ the modules are designed)
Most ppl are doing performance analysis and support before they are handed over a relatively smaller port to prove their abilities but u need to make sure u are under a front office team and not a glorified back office role (nth bad abt this cos Iím in one, but just make sure u are not tricked into being the support saikang forever)

Donít go to b*s small shops be front office. Chances are u canít jump off as easy as u think + u will be put at worse situation as years go back cos u also canít qualify for a middle/back office cos your skills quite irrelevant

Reply With Quote
  #1233 (permalink)  
Old 09-07-2022, 01:43 AM
Unregistered
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Unregistered View Post
Tbh u canít start being a portfolio manager. You are nowhere near the skills when u just graduated from a local uni (knowing how ďgoodĒ the modules are designed)
Most ppl are doing performance analysis and support before they are handed over a relatively smaller port to prove their abilities but u need to make sure u are under a front office team and not a glorified back office role (nth bad abt this cos Iím in one, but just make sure u are not tricked into being the support saikang forever)

Donít go to b*s small shops be front office. Chances are u canít jump off as easy as u think + u will be put at worse situation as years go back cos u also canít qualify for a middle/back office cos your skills quite irrelevant
Thatís really insightful! Glad to hear realistic advice amongst the trolls.
Quite sure Iíll be doing support especially in the beginning. Nonetheless it is one of the largest buy side firm around.
Any indicators to tell if it is an actual front office or a glorified back office?

Reply With Quote
  #1234 (permalink)  
Old 09-07-2022, 02:17 AM
Unregistered
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Unregistered View Post
Tbh u canít start being a portfolio manager. You are nowhere near the skills when u just graduated from a local uni (knowing how ďgoodĒ the modules are designed)
Most ppl are doing performance analysis and support before they are handed over a relatively smaller port to prove their abilities but u need to make sure u are under a front office team and not a glorified back office role (nth bad abt this cos Iím in one, but just make sure u are not tricked into being the support saikang forever)

Donít go to b*s small shops be front office. Chances are u canít jump off as easy as u think + u will be put at worse situation as years go back cos u also canít qualify for a middle/back office cos your skills quite irrelevant
Thatís really insightful! Great to hear realistic comments amongst the trolls.
Iím quite sure that I will be doing support initially. Im quite assured though as it is one of the largest buy side firms.
How can I tell if it is an actual front office role or a glorified back office position?
Reply With Quote
  #1235 (permalink)  
Old 09-07-2022, 01:49 PM
Unregistered
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Unregistered View Post
Tbh u canít start being a portfolio manager. You are nowhere near the skills when u just graduated from a local uni (knowing how ďgoodĒ the modules are designed)
Most ppl are doing performance analysis and support before they are handed over a relatively smaller port to prove their abilities but u need to make sure u are under a front office team and not a glorified back office role (nth bad abt this cos Iím in one, but just make sure u are not tricked into being the support saikang forever)

Donít go to b*s small shops be front office. Chances are u canít jump off as easy as u think + u will be put at worse situation as years go back cos u also canít qualify for a middle/back office cos your skills quite irrelevant
That is really insightful! Glad to see helpful comments amongst the trolls.
Quite sure that I will be doing mainly support initially. Still I am quite assured as it is one of the biggest buy side firms around.
How can I tell if it is an actual front office role or a glorified back office position?
Reply With Quote
  #1236 (permalink)  
Old 09-07-2022, 03:55 PM
Unregistered
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Unregistered View Post
That is really insightful! Glad to see helpful comments amongst the trolls.
Quite sure that I will be doing mainly support initially. Still I am quite assured as it is one of the biggest buy side firms around.
How can I tell if it is an actual front office role or a glorified back office position?
Which team you are in, what is your role and what is your output. Also depends on the programme and nature of the hire.

What is your degree? The nature of multi asset team is different from equities, fixed income or those who looked at both. So also depends on if it is what you like.

If it is one of the biggest international asset managers, it should be fine. Should have some upward mobility and flex depending on you.
Reply With Quote

  #1237 (permalink)  
Old 09-07-2022, 05:56 PM
Unregistered
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Unregistered View Post
Which team you are in, what is your role and what is your output. Also depends on the programme and nature of the hire.

What is your degree? The nature of multi asset team is different from equities, fixed income or those who looked at both. So also depends on if it is what you like.

If it is one of the biggest international asset managers, it should be fine. Should have some upward mobility and flex depending on you.
I am in the multi asset DPM team, probably assisting the PMs with monitoring, asset screening and selection. Now that I look at it, it does sound like it is a glorified back office role. Hopefully I am wrong.

I only have a bachelors in finance and thought that I lucked out since many of these teams are only take in MBAs. Will that put me in a disadvantage? They do sponsor my CFAs as well.
Reply With Quote
  #1238 (permalink)  
Old 10-07-2022, 12:11 AM
Unregistered
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Unregistered View Post
I am in the multi asset DPM team, probably assisting the PMs with monitoring, asset screening and selection. Now that I look at it, it does sound like it is a glorified back office role. Hopefully I am wrong.

I only have a bachelors in finance and thought that I lu9cked out since many of these teams are only take in MBAs. Will that put me in a disadvantage? They do sponsor my CFAs as well.
Bachelor of finance is fine vs MBA. Different shops may require abit more quantitative skills for the MA analyst

The role does sound multi asset like. So depends if this is a path that you are ok with. Top down, more quant-ish, do some comparison across asset class.
Reply With Quote
  #1239 (permalink)  
Old 11-07-2022, 04:36 PM
Unregistered
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Unregistered View Post
Bachelor of finance is fine vs MBA. Different shops may require abit more quantitative skills for the MA analyst

The role does sound multi asset like. So depends if this is a path that you are ok with. Top down, more quant-ish, do some comparison across asset class.
That is comforting to know. Sounds pretty interesting to me. How are the career prospects? Knowing that few reach the PM level which is probably the peak and that they have have decades of experience, I am interested to know what entails in between. Analyst>Senior Analyst>???>Asst PM>PM?
Reply With Quote
  #1240 (permalink)  
Old 11-07-2022, 04:58 PM
Unregistered
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Unregistered View Post
That is comforting to know. Sounds pretty interesting to me. How are the career prospects? Knowing that few reach the PM level which is probably the peak and that they have have decades of experience, I am interested to know what entails in between. Analyst>Senior Analyst>???>Asst PM>PM?
Not familiar with multi asset setup. PMs (junior or senior does not matter) essentially mean the AUM and P&L belong to you.

Assistant PM and analyst would probably be grey-ish for MA setup, since no one is really doing the bottom up type of things. So likely harder to say who is more analyst, who is more assistant PMs. In fact, everyone in MA team in my old shop call themselves PMs. So it is grey.

For other asset class, it is abit more obvious who is who, and depends on the setup of the team and firm. Some PMs just focus on portfolio management, some PMs still have its own coverage, while some analyst are involved in portfolio management. The career path for analyst can also be independent from PM branch. So it differs, and just go in with an open mind. It is more clear cut whether you are a PM and not a PM.
Reply With Quote
Reply

Bookmarks

Tags
finance, fund management, ibd, m&a, pevc

« Previous Thread | Next Thread »
Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are Off


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
SIM-UOL Degree in Econs/Finance or Accounting/Finance Shenanigans Income and Jobs 7 05-03-2023 01:08 PM
Official Lasik/ Relexsmile Thread shirlyn General Discussions 1 18-06-2016 06:33 PM
Household Expenses Breakdown Thread mugster Income and Jobs 10 21-10-2015 09:01 AM
The Gem of UK property (High yield, High Growth, Positive cash flow) newsgprop Market Talk 4 12-01-2015 12:03 PM
UNISIM Alumni thread Gradsoon Income and Jobs 3 25-02-2014 04:38 AM

» 30 Recent Threads
Q: Big4 - Yearly salary increment ( 1 2 3... Last Page)
17,112 Replies, 5,287,040 Views
HTX (Home Team Science and... ( 1 2 3... Last Page)
894 Replies, 423,773 Views
Career as Teacher ( 1 2 3... Last Page)
11,429 Replies, 7,002,183 Views
Insights on Post-interview Process
8 Replies, 4,208 Views
Civil Servant Bonus Mid-2023 ( 1 2 3... Last Page)
168 Replies, 164,361 Views
DSTA (under Mindef) ( 1 2 3... Last Page)
1,602 Replies, 1,439,819 Views
Civil Svc/ Statboard - Typical... ( 1 2 3... Last Page)
6,232 Replies, 3,890,716 Views
MINDEF DXO (All FAQ on it) ( 1 2 3... Last Page)
5,986 Replies, 4,817,648 Views
Lawyer Salary ( 1 2 3... Last Page)
21,272 Replies, 10,645,921 Views
OCBC Graduate Talent Programme... ( 1 2 3... Last Page)
1,173 Replies, 665,717 Views
Factual Local Bank Salaries - DBS... ( 1 2 3... Last Page)
1,888 Replies, 1,499,054 Views
CIMB Apprentice 2024
9 Replies, 315 Views
ST Electronics ( 1 2 3... Last Page)
3,867 Replies, 1,620,249 Views
GovTech ( 1 2 3... Last Page)
6,490 Replies, 2,483,777 Views
DBS tech seed programme ( 1 2 3... Last Page)
3,864 Replies, 1,549,230 Views
IMDA (under MCI) ( 1 2 3... Last Page)
1,317 Replies, 671,544 Views
Hospital (Private or Public)... ( 1 2 3... Last Page)
775 Replies, 451,676 Views
MAS for Mid Career Professionals ( 1 2 3... Last Page)
2,189 Replies, 1,126,696 Views
ITE Polytechnic Scheme ( 1 2 3... Last Page)
342 Replies, 391,433 Views
How is life as a doctor in... ( 1 2 3... Last Page)
7,480 Replies, 3,546,877 Views
Roles in accenture singapore ( 1 2 3... Last Page)
7,830 Replies, 2,473,768 Views
Compare civil service salary ( 1 2 3... Last Page)
16,478 Replies, 12,756,901 Views
Ex-MOE Teachers ( 1 2 3... Last Page)
429 Replies, 515,824 Views
Changi Airport Group ( 1 2 3... Last Page)
473 Replies, 641,347 Views
CAD (Commercial Affairs Department) ( 1 2 3... Last Page)
231 Replies, 262,147 Views
NCS (SingTel subsidiary) ( 1 2 3... Last Page)
1,372 Replies, 1,194,915 Views
Enterprise Singapore hiriing... ( 1 2 3... Last Page)
183 Replies, 235,859 Views
LTA (Land Transport Authority) ( 1 2 3... Last Page)
834 Replies, 443,545 Views
Civil Service Current Estimated... ( 1 2 3... Last Page)
189 Replies, 323,299 Views
Powered by vBadvanced CMPS v3.2.2



All times are GMT +8. The time now is 09:23 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.5
Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Content Relevant URLs by vBSEO 3.3.2