High Finance Thread - Page 117 - Salary.sg Forums
Salary.sg Forums  

Go Back   Salary.sg Forums > The Salary.sg Discussion Forums: > Income and Jobs

Income and Jobs Discuss jobs, career options and of course salaries




High Finance Thread

Reply
 
Thread Tools
  #1161 (permalink)  
Old 29-06-2022, 02:39 AM
Unregistered
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by notahardo View Post
hello, was browsing through this thread and saw there are couple of misconceptions around the IBD industry.

There was a comment about hard work trumping networking ability, I would say by and large this is right. Unless your parents are C-suite at a major corporate client, most people 'break in' through sheer grit, hard work (studying like crazy for interviews, racking up internships and the like), and of course a little bit of luck.

Even if your parents are hotshots, the major banks have very bureaucratic hiring systems which act as a filter against hiring if you have a close relation to a major existing client, due to issues with conflict of interest. I think only boutiques (Evercore, Greenhill etc.) have leeway to work around those restrictions.

Personally, I'm a second year analyst a tier-1 BB bank - happy to answer any questions to clear up the mystery shrouding this sector.
Other than MM banks, what places gives undergrad a shot at BB?

Reply With Quote
  #1162 (permalink)  
Old 29-06-2022, 12:21 PM
Unregistered
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Default

Why would anyone want to join IB. Your life sux and your pay isn't that great on an hourly basis. If i was young again, i'd try to join a Venture firm instead. Waaaaaay better prospects, better lifestyle, more job satisfaction...

Reply With Quote
  #1163 (permalink)  
Old 29-06-2022, 12:54 PM
Unregistered
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Unregistered View Post
Why would anyone want to join IB. Your life sux and your pay isn't that great on an hourly basis. If i was young again, i'd try to join a Venture firm instead. Waaaaaay better prospects, better lifestyle, more job satisfaction...
i would choose cash management instead

Reply With Quote
  #1164 (permalink)  
Old 29-06-2022, 01:27 PM
Unregistered
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Unregistered View Post
Why would anyone want to join IB. Your life sux and your pay isn't that great on an hourly basis. If i was young again, i'd try to join a Venture firm instead. Waaaaaay better prospects, better lifestyle, more job satisfaction...
LOL VC is a joke. 0 technicals needed, ‘Entrepreneurship’ bros without the caliber. IB guys doing 1B deals or exit to MFPE doing buyouts while you stay at VC dealing with **** startups.
Reply With Quote
  #1165 (permalink)  
Old 29-06-2022, 03:00 PM
Unregistered
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Unregistered View Post
Why would anyone want to join IB. Your life sux and your pay isn't that great on an hourly basis. If i was young again, i'd try to join a Venture firm instead. Waaaaaay better prospects, better lifestyle, more job satisfaction...
You are an absolute joke, I don’t even need to deign to elaborate why
Reply With Quote
  #1166 (permalink)  
Old 29-06-2022, 03:07 PM
Unregistered
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Unregistered View Post
You are an absolute joke, I don’t even need to deign to elaborate why
Pretty sure rising up the ranks in ven cap is not easily happening, and that most entrants (who aren't connected or haven't made it big somewhere else already) are entry level saikang warriors
Reply With Quote

  #1167 (permalink)  
Old 29-06-2022, 07:22 PM
Unregistered
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Unregistered View Post
Pretty sure rising up the ranks in ven cap is not easily happening, and that most entrants (who aren't connected or haven't made it big somewhere else already) are entry level saikang warriors
Every job and industry needs saikang warriors so - is the saikang worse in VC?
Reply With Quote
  #1168 (permalink)  
Old 29-06-2022, 07:25 PM
Unregistered
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by notahardo View Post
hello, was browsing through this thread and saw there are couple of misconceptions around the IBD industry.

There was a comment about hard work trumping networking ability, I would say by and large this is right. Unless your parents are C-suite at a major corporate client, most people 'break in' through sheer grit, hard work (studying like crazy for interviews, racking up internships and the like), and of course a little bit of luck.

Even if your parents are hotshots, the major banks have very bureaucratic hiring systems which act as a filter against hiring if you have a close relation to a major existing client, due to issues with conflict of interest. I think only boutiques (Evercore, Greenhill etc.) have leeway to work around those restrictions.

Personally, I'm a second year analyst a tier-1 BB bank - happy to answer any questions to clear up the mystery shrouding this sector.
Qn: how hard did you have to work (internships, case competitions eg.) to get to where you are now?


Primary School English Grammar and Vocabulary Drills
Primary School English Grammar and Vocabulary Drills


SG Bus Timing App
SG Bus Timing App - the best bus app - available on iOS and Android


SGX Stocks Android App - check share prices
SGX Stocks [Android] App - check latest share prices on the go


SGX Stocks for iPad - check latest Singapore share prices
SGX Stocks [iPad] app
| SGX Stocks [iPhone] app
Reply With Quote
  #1169 (permalink)  
Old 29-06-2022, 11:35 PM
Unregistered
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Default

Always remember that economics and authority sit with who raised the capital. That's not 25 year old hot **** VC analysts. What skills do you bring to the table as a VC analyst anyway? There's some title inflation going on so some associates are even titled as Partners. But life is the same - you can source all you want, the managing partners make the call. A lot of the inflation happened in hot markets. Many entrepreneurs don't even give a **** about you, but are only polite because you are in between them and the capital they want to get. VC also sucks on a mgmt fee / invmt professional basis unless you're at a Sequoia or something.

There's probably 5 years of your life that you'll have to invest in learning (1) complexity (2) processes. Appreciating the complexity in businesses across industries and stages. Complexity in financial modelling, structuring, legal docs, diligence. Processes in running diligence processes, putting the right things up to committee internally. You can learn this in IB, PE, or even some serious VCs (for VC more so in a in a portfolio management stage, esp if you have significant influence on governance, not the investment stage and definitely not syndicate free-riders). Maybe consulting but those guys have 0 ownership over any asset and just churn pretty slides. FYI VC term sheets, financial analysis and memos do NOT constitute complexity.

After that, you start being valuable to other firms and will be hired into roles where you can take the lead on processes.

I am not some boomer who thinks there's only 1 way to earn your rank or pay. Pay is a function of demand and supply and you can be paid anywhere from $50k to $200k p.a. as a VC analyst for all I care. But some things you have to get competent at, and that's not from deploying easy money in a hot market and attending DeFi conferences with fellow apes.
Reply With Quote
  #1170 (permalink)  
Old 30-06-2022, 01:13 AM
Unregistered
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Unregistered View Post
Always remember that economics and authority sit with who raised the capital. That's not 25 year old hot **** VC analysts. What skills do you bring to the table as a VC analyst anyway? There's some title inflation going on so some associates are even titled as Partners. But life is the same - you can source all you want, the managing partners make the call. A lot of the inflation happened in hot markets. Many entrepreneurs don't even give a **** about you, but are only polite because you are in between them and the capital they want to get. VC also sucks on a mgmt fee / invmt professional basis unless you're at a Sequoia or something.

There's probably 5 years of your life that you'll have to invest in learning (1) complexity (2) processes. Appreciating the complexity in businesses across industries and stages. Complexity in financial modelling, structuring, legal docs, diligence. Processes in running diligence processes, putting the right things up to committee internally. You can learn this in IB, PE, or even some serious VCs (for VC more so in a in a portfolio management stage, esp if you have significant influence on governance, not the investment stage and definitely not syndicate free-riders). Maybe consulting but those guys have 0 ownership over any asset and just churn pretty slides. FYI VC term sheets, financial analysis and memos do NOT constitute complexity.

After that, you start being valuable to other firms and will be hired into roles where you can take the lead on processes.

I am not some boomer who thinks there's only 1 way to earn your rank or pay. Pay is a function of demand and supply and you can be paid anywhere from $50k to $200k p.a. as a VC analyst for all I care. But some things you have to get competent at, and that's not from deploying easy money in a hot market and attending DeFi conferences with fellow apes.
VC analysts will cry over this post when they realise they’re not hot ****. TDLR: Do IB (the real hot ****)
Reply With Quote
Reply

Bookmarks

Tags
finance, fund management, ibd, m&a, pevc

« Previous Thread | Next Thread »
Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are Off


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Official Lasik/ Relexsmile Thread shirlyn General Discussions 1 18-06-2016 06:33 PM
Household Expenses Breakdown Thread mugster Income and Jobs 10 21-10-2015 09:01 AM
The Gem of UK property (High yield, High Growth, Positive cash flow) newsgprop Market Talk 4 12-01-2015 12:03 PM
UNISIM Alumni thread Gradsoon Income and Jobs 3 25-02-2014 04:38 AM
SIM-UOL Degree in Econs/Finance or Accounting/Finance Shenanigans Income and Jobs 3 07-07-2012 12:41 PM

» 30 Recent Threads
Lawyer Salary ( 1 2 3... Last Page)
18,848 Replies, 7,982,369 Views
GovTech ( 1 2 3... Last Page)
3,520 Replies, 1,205,893 Views
Civil Svc/ Statboard - Typical... ( 1 2 3... Last Page)
5,032 Replies, 2,798,021 Views
How much are you earning per annum? ( 1 2 3... Last Page)
13,563 Replies, 5,660,811 Views
UOB Management Associate Program ( 1 2 3... Last Page)
1,055 Replies, 539,405 Views
ST Electronics ( 1 2 3... Last Page)
3,251 Replies, 1,063,251 Views
Career as Teacher ( 1 2 3... Last Page)
7,051 Replies, 4,472,329 Views
DBS tech seed programme ( 1 2 3... Last Page)
2,828 Replies, 923,558 Views
MOH Holdings ( 1 2)
13 Replies, 13,906 Views
Digital Academy Program at ST...
2 Replies, 145 Views
Roles in accenture singapore ( 1 2 3... Last Page)
5,672 Replies, 1,417,501 Views
ST engineering starting pay ( 1 2 3... Last Page)
118 Replies, 83,701 Views
Compare civil service salary ( 1 2 3... Last Page)
15,142 Replies, 10,306,260 Views
Compare Your Annual Income ( 1 2 3... Last Page)
35 Replies, 10,465 Views
DSTA (under Mindef) ( 1 2 3... Last Page)
1,264 Replies, 1,026,984 Views
SIA AO grades ( 1 2 3... Last Page)
111 Replies, 54,142 Views
MINDEF DXO (All FAQ on it) ( 1 2 3... Last Page)
5,038 Replies, 3,608,281 Views
DBS ACE Programme ( 1 2 3... Last Page)
79 Replies, 24,687 Views
Singtel Management Associate... ( 1 2 3... Last Page)
1,184 Replies, 409,726 Views
IMDA (under MCI) ( 1 2 3... Last Page)
475 Replies, 232,062 Views
BCA (Building and Construction...
1 Replies, 174 Views
MOH (Ministry of Health) ( 1 2 3... Last Page)
33 Replies, 43,844 Views
Micron starting pay ( 1 2 3... Last Page)
663 Replies, 272,833 Views
How much CPF do u have? ( 1 2 3... Last Page)
66 Replies, 37,773 Views
Singapore Power EDGE Program ( 1 2 3... Last Page)
30 Replies, 7,425 Views
NCS (SingTel subsidiary) ( 1 2 3... Last Page)
1,127 Replies, 802,456 Views
Shopee fresh grad pay ( 1 2 3... Last Page)
884 Replies, 272,157 Views
Singapore Examination and...
2 Replies, 4,212 Views
Singapore LNG Pay
7 Replies, 4,117 Views
Powered by vBadvanced CMPS v3.2.2



All times are GMT +8. The time now is 07:21 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.5
Copyright ©2000 - 2023, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Content Relevant URLs by vBSEO 3.3.2