Salary.sg Forums

Salary.sg Forums (https://forums.salary.sg/)
-   Income and Jobs (https://forums.salary.sg/income-jobs/)
-   -   Changing industry (https://forums.salary.sg/income-jobs/11769-changing-industry.html)

Blueberry 24-06-2019 03:48 PM

Changing industry

Hi,

I am 43 years old working as a Legal admin at a local law firm.

I am tired of the jobscope and I do not have a legal diploma or degree to do anything other than a support staff.

Recently, I have the desire to change industry , preferably something more meaningful and I am looking at the healthcare industry after visiting my mum at a hospital and saw the nursing staffs taking care of the patients there.

I have the desire to study nursing but can't afford a 3-years full time study and there is no such thing as 'part-time nurse course'. So I will have to endure a 3-years no income if I have to go study nursing. Part-time jobs are out for me as well. At my age, it is really a high risk.

So perhaps, nursing career is out for me. But still, I have the desire to work in healthcare, even if it is super low-pay Clinical Admin/ Assistant kind of job.

Do you think it is not wise to make such a move ? Though it is not my 'burning desire' to be working in healthcare, but it is definately a meaningful industry.

Unregistered 26-06-2019 11:04 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Blueberry (Post 120825)
Hi,

I am 43 years old working as a Legal admin at a local law firm.

I am tired of the jobscope and I do not have a legal diploma or degree to do anything other than a support staff.

Recently, I have the desire to change industry , preferably something more meaningful and I am looking at the healthcare industry after visiting my mum at a hospital and saw the nursing staffs taking care of the patients there.

I have the desire to study nursing but can't afford a 3-years full time study and there is no such thing as 'part-time nurse course'. So I will have to endure a 3-years no income if I have to go study nursing. Part-time jobs are out for me as well. At my age, it is really a high risk.

So perhaps, nursing career is out for me. But still, I have the desire to work in healthcare, even if it is super low-pay Clinical Admin/ Assistant kind of job.

Do you think it is not wise to make such a move ? Though it is not my 'burning desire' to be working in healthcare, but it is definately a meaningful industry.

If you're going to pursue an educational certificate anyway, go get a part time SUSS Law Degree. You'll have better chances at getting a job considering your past experience and it will not require you to re-learn a completely new industry.

TBH, nursing is not an easy career. You should do more research before making a decision. For instance, what are the career options (job/pay/progression) like for nursing degree holders (NUS Alice Lee Center for Nursing) vs career options of diploma holders (job/pay/progression). Just like law, it's not as simple as taking a dip = automatically becoming a nurse.

A couple of years back, the govt launched several scholarships to aid mid-career professionals wishing to switch to nursing - i believe that some of these programs are still available (Google WSG PCP). This should help with the financial burden during the course of the full time dip/deg.