Perm to contract, increase > 2k basic. Should I take it? - Page 2 - Salary.sg Forums
Salary.sg Forums  

Go Back   Salary.sg Forums > The Salary.sg Discussion Forums: > Income and Jobs

Income and Jobs Discuss jobs, career options and of course salaries

Perm to contract, increase > 2k basic. Should I take it?

Old 10-09-2021, 01:40 PM
Unregistered

Quote:
Originally Posted by Unregistered View Post
Yes same as OP, currently on perm job, and getting 3rd party agency offer from gov agency that i am keen to join since last year.
Increment in basic salary, but overall the yearly package is only slightly more than what I am getting.
Do you like your current job? Contract seems to be more risky. I would suggest to remain at the current job.

Primary School English Grammar and Vocabulary Drills

SG Bus Timing App
SG Bus Timing App - the best bus app - available on iOS and Android

Bursa Stocks Android App - check share prices
Bursa Stocks [Android] App - check latest share prices on the go

SGX Stocks Android App - check share prices
SGX Stocks [Android] App - check latest share prices on the go

SGX Stocks for iPad - check latest Singapore share prices
SGX Stocks [iPad] app
| SGX Stocks [iPhone] app
Old 10-09-2021, 02:44 PM
Unregistered

Who the heck will take this lousy offer only to risk being out of job 1 year later?

Old 11-09-2021, 01:24 PM
Unregistered

Quote:
Who the heck will take this lousy offer only to risk being out of job 1 year later?
Agreed. The slight increment for a huge risk

Old 11-09-2021, 02:04 PM
Unregistered

If fresh grad going into workforce with a contract job, can. they gain experience to find a perm job. But you perm then going into contract, better not. If unhappy at current perm job, better to find other perm job. You can go into contract but best if you are retiring etc. But if you really want to get that contract, can also just that it is not advisable.
Old 11-09-2021, 06:33 PM
ItsMeAgainSE2021

Quote:
Hi Im the same guy from previous post.

Well actually for my existing pay, I have factored in everything, including variable bonus (if company performance is good) and stock options in best case scenario. (and I have just received increment recently, im using that in my calculation)

If I only calculate the base + allowance + target variable bonus, the new offer is 10% more.
Bonus and allowances are paid directly in my monthly salary, I dont have to serve full year to get them.
The hiring manager has also told that based on my future performance, they will be converting me to direct contract / perm eventually, as the project is going for long term. (My friend got it in a year, from same agency).

It's not that I don't like my current company, I received good comments from other departments, and good increments every year (>10% thrice but I dont think it will be the same in next few years).
Plus, my current employer is business driven, there are way too many steps / processes just to get simple things done (in tech team itself). I don't see good future for me as a Software Engineer.

While writing these, I feel that I have made up my mind.
still Im open to any comments, thanks guys!
Old 11-09-2021, 06:57 PM
ItsMeAgainSE2021

Wink

Quote:

Well actually for my existing pay, I have factored in everything, including variable bonus (if company performance is good) and stock options in best case scenario. (and I have just received increment recently, im using that in my calculation)

If I only calculate the base + allowance + target variable bonus, the new offer is 10% more.
Bonus and allowances are paid directly in my monthly salary, I dont have to serve full year to get them.
The hiring manager has also told that based on my future performance, they will be converting me to direct contract / perm eventually, as the project is going for long term. (My friend got it in a year, from same agency).

It's not that I don't like my current company, I received good comments from other departments, and good increments every year (>10% thrice but I dont think it will be the same in next few years).
Plus, my current employer is business driven, there are way too many steps / processes just to get simple things done (in tech team itself). I don't see good future for me as a Software Engineer.

SG Bus Timing App
SG Bus Timing App - the best bus app - available on iOS and Android

Bursa Stocks Android App - check share prices
Bursa Stocks [Android] App - check latest share prices on the go

SGX Stocks Android App - check share prices
SGX Stocks [Android] App - check latest share prices on the go

SGX Stocks for iPad - check latest Singapore share prices
SGX Stocks [iPad] app
| SGX Stocks [iPhone] app

Old 12-09-2021, 11:47 PM
Unregistered

Quote:
Originally Posted by jalan369 View Post
Hi

I am currently in a permanent job earning 5k basic x 16 (1mth aws and 3 mths bonus) + 2k (flexible benefits) == 82k per annum. I have 22 days of annual leave.

I got an offer for a 12 mths contract job., no. of annual leave is 14 days. Payroll is under recruitment firm but work at Govt Agency. There is chance to convert to perm at end of contract subject to performance of course. The package is 7.2k x 12 == 86.4k. There is no other additonal completion bonuses or benefits.This gives abount 4.4% increment solely base on annual package only.

Should I take up this offer? Is it much easier if maybe half a year later I try to find a permanent job base on my basic of 7.2K? Say I try to find something aroung 7-8k per mth with maybe 1 mths aws and 2 bonuses?

If the govt agency want to convert me to perm within the 1 year, am I going to get at least 7.2k per month base on when I joined them with payroll from recruitment firm? Or with them lower the monthly since this govt agency with give maybe around 1mth aws + 2mth bonuses?

Anybody with experience on this kind of things?

Thanks.
Wow! You must either really hate your current job very very much or are plain dumb to even consider the contract role. I mean what are you even considering? The prospect of taking the contract role that pays only $2.4k more p.a. with only 14 days annual leave and the prospect of being jobless after 12 months with no/very little benefit? Do they even offer medical? Wow. Just wow. Good luck.
Old 13-09-2021, 10:58 PM
Unregistered

Find another job not worth it.
Old 13-09-2021, 11:37 PM
Unregistered

Quote:
Originally Posted by ItsMeAgainSE2021 View Post

Let me tell you something... Dropping down to 14 day AL from 22 is going to be a big hit, the other negatives notwithstanding. To jump to a contract role I would need at least a 20% increment. 10% is the usual mkt rate for jumping to a full time role.
Old 14-09-2021, 08:29 AM
Unregistered

Quote:
Wow! You must either really hate your current job very very much or are plain dumb to even consider the contract role. I mean what are you even considering? The prospect of taking the contract role that pays only $2.4k more p.a. with only 14 days annual leave and the prospect of being jobless after 12 months with no/very little benefit? Do they even offer medical? Wow. Just wow. Good luck.
14 days of leave plain sucks... No 2 ways about it.

Guess he must really hate his current role, or there really aren't many opportunities in the market.