How much should I be getting after 2 year (accounting/audit)? - Salary.sg Forums
Salary.sg Forums  

Go Back   Salary.sg Forums > The Salary.sg Discussion Forums: > Income and Jobs

Income and Jobs Discuss jobs, career options and of course salaries




How much should I be getting after 2 year (accounting/audit)?

Reply
 
Thread Tools
  #1 (permalink)  
Old 28-05-2019, 10:30 AM
Junior Member
 
Join Date: May 2019
Posts: 5
pikachu is on a distinguished road
Default How much should I be getting after 2 year (accounting/audit)?

Hi all,

In the accounting/finance industry.

In 2017, i started out in an SME audit firm getting 2.5K.
6 months later, I was promoted and drawing 2.8k.
This Feb, not promoted but pay increment to 3.1K.
I decided to leave for industry accounting, I requested for 3.9k.

Was wondering if it is too low.
Especially since I'm seeing "fresh grad median salary" at 3.5K.

Not from SMU, NTU or NUS.
Second Upper Honors Degree.
No CA.

p.s. any tips to improve my earning power etc ?
Thanks a lot.

Reply With Quote
  #2 (permalink)  
Old 28-05-2019, 12:28 PM
Unregistered
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Cool

Lol U do know salary guides are not accurate right?

Reply With Quote
  #3 (permalink)  
Old 28-05-2019, 07:47 PM
Unregistered
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by pikachu View Post
Hi all,

In the accounting/finance industry.

In 2017, i started out in an SME audit firm getting 2.5K.
6 months later, I was promoted and drawing 2.8k.
This Feb, not promoted but pay increment to 3.1K.
I decided to leave for industry accounting, I requested for 3.9k.

Was wondering if it is too low.
Especially since I'm seeing "fresh grad median salary" at 3.5K.

Not from SMU, NTU or NUS.
Second Upper Honors Degree.
No CA.

p.s. any tips to improve my earning power etc ?
Thanks a lot.
Please la youíre from SIM. How much do you expect?

Reply With Quote
  #4 (permalink)  
Old 28-05-2019, 08:30 PM
Unregistered
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Thumbs up

Quote:
Originally Posted by Unregistered View Post
Please la youíre from SIM. How much do you expect?
More than your you lo .
Reply With Quote
  #5 (permalink)  
Old 28-05-2019, 09:39 PM
Junior Member
 
Join Date: May 2019
Posts: 5
pikachu is on a distinguished road
Default

Iím the OP.

not from SIM.
Came back after overseas studies from UK in 2016.
(Hence the honors classification)
Just curious cause Iím unsure about overseas degrees.

For local and private unis, Iíve got a rough idea so I wouldnít even ask.
LOL.

P.S.
whatís with the mean comments.
Calm down lol.
Reply With Quote
  #6 (permalink)  
Old 28-05-2019, 11:27 PM
Unregistered
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Default

Hey, why didnít you try the big 4 since you returned from the UK?
Or the big 4 in the UK?
Reply With Quote

  #7 (permalink)  
Old 29-05-2019, 12:02 AM
Unregistered
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Default

The company you are applying to makes a HUGE difference in the salary. The range can be huge. So it is very difficult to answer that part of the qn if 3.9 is ok or not. You probably need to give some background of the company(ies) you are applying to so we can help you here.

As to how to increase earning power, erm... make yourself employable in an area that is more urgently in need of talents? Your qn is very wide... I mean you need to sit down and think through what you really want.

What is your interests? What is your career plan? You want to increase earning power through what and where? Is it still by doing accounting? If so, for long term accounting, please go get a CA. If not necessary in accounting, which area you want to venture into? Do you have the skills in that area? If no, are you willing and prepare to acquire skills in that area? Otherwise, are you able to enter as junior roles in that area? You know auditing/accounting industry is evolving also, right? May be try to make yourself employable in the new area it will evolve to?


SG Bus Timing App
SG Bus Timing App - the best bus app - available on iOS and Android


SGX Stocks Android App - check share prices
SGX Stocks [Android] App - check latest share prices on the go


SGX Stocks for iPad - check latest Singapore share prices
SGX Stocks [iPad] app
| SGX Stocks [iPhone] app
Reply With Quote
  #8 (permalink)  
Old 29-05-2019, 12:42 AM
Junior Member
 
Join Date: May 2019
Posts: 5
pikachu is on a distinguished road
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Unregistered View Post
The company you are applying to makes a HUGE difference in the salary. The range can be huge. So it is very difficult to answer that part of the qn if 3.9 is ok or not. You probably need to give some background of the company(ies) you are applying to so we can help you here.

As to how to increase earning power, erm... make yourself employable in an area that is more urgently in need of talents? Your qn is very wide... I mean you need to sit down and think through what you really want.

What is your interests? What is your career plan? You want to increase earning power through what and where? Is it still by doing accounting? If so, for long term accounting, please go get a CA. If not necessary in accounting, which area you want to venture into? Do you have the skills in that area? If no, are you willing and prepare to acquire skills in that area? Otherwise, are you able to enter as junior roles in that area? You know auditing/accounting industry is evolving also, right? May be try to make yourself employable in the new area it will evolve to?
Thanks a lot.
I applied to an huge MNC (Allianz) as a financial accountant.
Yea, Iím planning to take my ACA since there are more exemptions granted with a UK degree.

Interests: analysis, (thinking roles) but preferably not at the expense of too many hours..
Planning to stay in accounting or finance industry, but sector will probably be revolving around the above company (similar types throughout my life I guess).

For the increasing earning power part, I need to think more about it
Reply With Quote
  #9 (permalink)  
Old 29-05-2019, 10:27 AM
Unregistered
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by pikachu View Post
Hi all,

In the accounting/finance industry.

In 2017, i started out in an SME audit firm getting 2.5K.
6 months later, I was promoted and drawing 2.8k.
This Feb, not promoted but pay increment to 3.1K.
I decided to leave for industry accounting, I requested for 3.9k.

Was wondering if it is too low.
Especially since I'm seeing "fresh grad median salary" at 3.5K.

Not from SMU, NTU or NUS.
Second Upper Honors Degree.
No CA.

p.s. any tips to improve my earning power etc ?
Thanks a lot.
I have no idea why youíre comparing your salary to the local uni graduate median salary given that youíre a distance learning graduate of a vastly lower calibre.

Itís not a fair comparison.
Reply With Quote
  #10 (permalink)  
Old 29-05-2019, 10:42 AM
Unregistered
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Default

No comments about the education
Just wondering why the OP didnít stay till 3 years and get the CA certification once and for all first
Then head to the big 4 and have the big 4 on the resume (albeit minus one rank)

Vastly more opportunities instead of going into industry with neither a CA nor strong audit experience
Reply With Quote
Reply

Bookmarks

« Previous Thread | Next Thread »
Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are Off


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Audit in Big 4 babaking Income and Jobs 0 02-07-2016 08:39 PM
IT Audit FreshGraduate Income and Jobs 5 22-02-2014 04:10 PM
Banks VS Big 4 Audit Jobs Income and Jobs 5 09-11-2013 12:02 AM
job as audit/accts assistant klein Income and Jobs 2 12-05-2011 11:47 AM
7 years accounting, tax and audit; how much should I be paid? queenie Income and Jobs 5 17-02-2010 09:00 PM

» 30 Recent Threads
Dsta ( 1 2 3... Last Page)
852 Replies, 584,107 Views
Lawyer Salary ( 1 2 3... Last Page)
9,744 Replies, 3,182,971 Views
Whats your net worth ( 1 2 3... Last Page)
2,773 Replies, 839,127 Views
MINDEF DXO (All FAQ on it) ( 1 2 3... Last Page)
3,474 Replies, 2,054,326 Views
Compare civil service salary ( 1 2 3... Last Page)
10,917 Replies, 6,038,584 Views
Working in HDB ( 1 2 3... Last Page)
352 Replies, 285,793 Views
UOB Management Associate Program ( 1 2 3... Last Page)
287 Replies, 187,190 Views
MasterCard Graduate Developement... ( 1 2 3)
25 Replies, 7,206 Views
Singtel Management Associate... ( 1 2 3... Last Page)
130 Replies, 92,986 Views
Civil Service Performance Bonus ( 1 2 3... Last Page)
1,676 Replies, 1,375,104 Views
Career as Teacher ( 1 2 3... Last Page)
2,963 Replies, 1,819,025 Views
How is life as a doctor in... ( 1 2 3... Last Page)
1,525 Replies, 1,006,192 Views
DBS Graduate Associate Program ( 1 2 3... Last Page)
749 Replies, 383,746 Views
ST Electronics ( 1 2 3... Last Page)
1,059 Replies, 283,931 Views
AML/Compliance/KYC professionals... ( 1 2 3... Last Page)
1,407 Replies, 597,123 Views
How Much Do You Need to Earn... ( 1 2 3... Last Page)
41 Replies, 19,061 Views
How much are you earning per annum? ( 1 2 3... Last Page)
12,111 Replies, 3,891,354 Views
Software developers salary outlier ( 1 2)
13 Replies, 2,965 Views
Work culture in CPF board ( 1 2 3)
23 Replies, 35,174 Views
Civil Svc/ Statboard - Typical... ( 1 2 3... Last Page)
2,803 Replies, 1,184,164 Views
Singapore LNG Pay
4 Replies, 1,447 Views
Ex-MOE Teachers ( 1 2 3... Last Page)
85 Replies, 123,756 Views
Pay grade at CSA ( 1 2 3... Last Page)
150 Replies, 40,285 Views
Q: Big4 - Yearly salary increment ( 1 2 3... Last Page)
1,055 Replies, 836,391 Views
Any Kaplan students here can land... ( 1 2)
15 Replies, 2,392 Views
Part-time Higher NITEC in...
2 Replies, 2,009 Views
Allied educator scheme
2 Replies, 720 Views
Anyone jobless for a long time... ( 1 2 3... Last Page)
3,017 Replies, 1,161,672 Views
Advantages
3 Replies, 1,344 Views
Powered by vBadvanced CMPS v3.2.2



All times are GMT +8. The time now is 09:16 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.5
Copyright ©2000 - 2020, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Content Relevant URLs by vBSEO 3.3.2