Salary.sg Forums  

Go Back   Salary.sg Forums > The Salary.sg Discussion Forums: > Income and Jobs

Income and Jobs Discuss jobs, career options and of course salaries

Advice: new job don't turn out as expected

Old 23-05-2019, 10:16 PM

positivethinker is on a distinguished road
Default Advice: new job don't turn out as expected

Would like to seek some advice...

If say someone has started out in a new job not too long ago, but realized the job did not turn as what he/she expected for many possible reasons, could be due to miscommunication of role or no clear definition of role or what was communicated did not turn out to be the same as reality or lack of proper on-boarding training, mismatch in skills although it was clearly communicated about the skills gap (be it either during interview or on the cv), etc.

Roughly how long one should stay on before leaving? Because sometimes it might be due to 'timing' issue, like perhaps need a while more before those gaps in expectations will eventually be closed.

Understand it definitely will not look nice on the person to leave so soon after starting out in the job (the person is not a serial quitter, has worked for many years in previous jobs), hence when would be a "responsible" or "reasonable" period to quit after realizing that it is impossible to patch up those expectation gaps?

Because think it is neither good to hang on for too long if one realize it is not a good fit (it is not good for the employee nor for the employer, as no one will want to retain a disconnected staff anyway).

Primary School English Grammar and Vocabulary Drills

SG Bus Timing App
SG Bus Timing App - the best bus app - available on iOS and Android

Bursa Stocks Android App - check share prices
Bursa Stocks [Android] App - check latest share prices on the go

SGX Stocks Android App - check share prices
SGX Stocks [Android] App - check latest share prices on the go

SGX Stocks for iPad - check latest Singapore share prices
SGX Stocks [iPad] app
| SGX Stocks [iPhone] app
Old 23-05-2019, 11:25 PM
Unregistered

Quote:
Originally Posted by positivethinker View Post

If say someone has started out in a new job not too long ago, but realized the job did not turn as what he/she expected for many possible reasons, could be due to miscommunication of role or no clear definition of role or what was communicated did not turn out to be the same as reality or lack of proper on-boarding training, mismatch in skills although it was clearly communicated about the skills gap (be it either during interview or on the cv), etc.

Roughly how long one should stay on before leaving? Because sometimes it might be due to 'timing' issue, like perhaps need a while more before those gaps in expectations will eventually be closed.

Understand it definitely will not look nice on the person to leave so soon after starting out in the job (the person is not a serial quitter, has worked for many years in previous jobs), hence when would be a "responsible" or "reasonable" period to quit after realizing that it is impossible to patch up those expectation gaps?

Because think it is neither good to hang on for too long if one realize it is not a good fit (it is not good for the employee nor for the employer, as no one will want to retain a disconnected staff anyway).
Leave immediately. If not serve 1 yr.
1 yr is a appropriate period before moving on

Old 24-05-2019, 01:03 PM
Unregistered

Smile

Quote:
Originally Posted by positivethinker View Post

Is this your first job? If it is maybe it wouldn't matter but in future it's good if you clarify clearly on what jobscope it is and what is it that you are really looking for.

If you're already a professional, I would say stay for at least 2y before job hopping cos it defo wouldnt look good on your resume.
Unless well you wanna just stay for 3-6M and not indicated in your resume

Old 24-05-2019, 03:09 PM
Unregistered

I suggest quit asap and don't include in CV. Small gap easy to explain. But job market seems slow now. So assess the jobless risk too.
Old 24-05-2019, 05:37 PM
Unregistered

Do not force yourself in the role you are in currently if you really can’t see your future with your company . Just quickly find a new job via job site and quit asap. Do not even include in your resume if you have worked less than 3 months .
Old 24-05-2019, 08:39 PM
Unregistered

i tendered 5 weeks into the job. cut loss. if they confirm me, my notice period is 3 months being a member of senior management. recruiter was not happy but my sanity was more important. i went for interview and got a job immediately even though they asked me why I was interviewing there when I just got a new job.
I am now 5 years in the company, and am very happy.
in short, just move forward and be honest on your reasons to move, a poor fit is a very good reason in my opinion.

Old 25-05-2019, 02:44 AM
Unregistered

Quote:
Originally Posted by Unregistered View Post
i tendered 5 weeks into the job. cut loss. if they confirm me, my notice period is 3 months being a member of senior management. recruiter was not happy but my sanity was more important. i went for interview and got a job immediately even though they asked me why I was interviewing there when I just got a new job.
I am now 5 years in the company, and am very happy.
in short, just move forward and be honest on your reasons to move, a poor fit is a very good reason in my opinion.
Dun mind me asking. If you told them of the reason of poor fit in your new job, how do you answer if you they ask you how do you know u will be a good fit in their company?
Old 25-05-2019, 09:58 AM
Unregistered

Quote:
Dun mind me asking. If you told them of the reason of poor fit in your new job, how do you answer if you they ask you how do you know u will be a good fit in their company?
good question. they asked me the same thing. one of the key questions i asked them was their culture and turnover vis a vis the industry.
i told them i cannot know for sure and they also have to take a risk with me by asking me about the things they need to know to make that decision. they also do not want to make a wrong hiring decision so we were very open. the senior staff says i will tell u everything that is helpful for you to know so I asked everything that I prepared beforehand. He ended "I think I have told you everything so would you like to join us?". I was a little taken aback before I clarified if they were making an offer, they replied they have to get all the due diligence done but as it stands, yes. long story short, i joined them, and was given a lot of opportunities to use my strengths. wld probably retire here.

SG Bus Timing App
SG Bus Timing App - the best bus app - available on iOS and Android

Bursa Stocks Android App - check share prices
Bursa Stocks [Android] App - check latest share prices on the go

SGX Stocks Android App - check share prices
SGX Stocks [Android] App - check latest share prices on the go

SGX Stocks for iPad - check latest Singapore share prices
SGX Stocks [iPad] app
| SGX Stocks [iPhone] app
Old 25-05-2019, 01:55 PM
Unregistered

Quote:
good question. they asked me the same thing. one of the key questions i asked them was their culture and turnover vis a vis the industry.
i told them i cannot know for sure and they also have to take a risk with me by asking me about the things they need to know to make that decision. they also do not want to make a wrong hiring decision so we were very open. the senior staff says i will tell u everything that is helpful for you to know so I asked everything that I prepared beforehand. He ended "I think I have told you everything so would you like to join us?". I was a little taken aback before I clarified if they were making an offer, they replied they have to get all the due diligence done but as it stands, yes. long story short, i joined them, and was given a lot of opportunities to use my strengths. wld probably retire here.
Yea. Figure that question would be ask by the interviewers. Anyway happy for you in your new job.
Old 03-06-2019, 01:12 AM
Unregistered

Same person as the original poster....

Mentioning about the "gap" in original expextation for the role versa the actual, did anyone encountered situations that no training was given at all, and you are immediately thrown into the job and expected to reply questions for the job?

Like what I have mentioned in my original post, I have made it explicitly clear in both verbal and written format about my complete lack of experience in a particular skillset and did highlighted my request during interview on the availability of on job training to get familiar with the process of the organisation and the tools used... Unfortunately none of that was provided.
This is getting abit crazy as I am now expected to answer questions on job even though I am completely clueless about the process and tools.

By the way, responding to some of the earlier replies, no this is not my first job, have been in the workforce for many years. But this is the first time I have encountered such a "messed up" newcomer's on boarding.

In short, I just felt they have hired the wrong person (probably because they couldn't find anyone).