Salary.sg Forums

Salary.sg Forums (https://forums.salary.sg/)
-   Income and Jobs (https://forums.salary.sg/income-jobs/)
-   -   How to get into Banking industry? (https://forums.salary.sg/income-jobs/11656-how-get-into-banking-industry.html)

coolcat25 10-05-2019 10:46 PM

How to get into Banking industry?

Does anyone know how to get into Banking sector? I am interested to work in entry-level like Operations assistant and Administrative role. I have not worked in banking corporate companies before. I am a fresh psychology grad interested to work in growth-oriented sector where I can develop my skills. I do not have friends or family network that works in a bank. Have a few direct contacts who are recruiters in the banking sector but they are more inclined to move the hiring process with internal transfers rather than oustider applications. I have exhausted my options here. Is someone willing to share a few pointers to land on a bank job? Heartfull thanks.

Unregistered 10-05-2019 11:24 PM

whats ur background?

coolcat25 10-05-2019 11:40 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Unregistered (Post 118565)
whats ur background?

psychology bsc hons degree. have some intern experience as a research assistant. thats it.

Unregistered 11-05-2019 02:15 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by coolcat25 (Post 118566)
psychology bsc hons degree. have some intern experience as a research assistant. thats it.

are you a girl or guy?

if guy forget it. Girl can try wear short skirt. increase chance

heracles 11-05-2019 02:21 AM

Quote:

Try contract admin, usually data entry roles doesnt require any experience, you just have to make yourself presentable and make it known that you will put in the effort and hardwork.

Unregistered 11-05-2019 02:22 AM

Can try applying for contract roles with chances of conversion if you really want to go into banking:

Unregistered 11-05-2019 08:47 AM

Quote:

You're missing important information. Which school? Any internship experience? Any working experience at all?

Unregistered 11-05-2019 03:39 PM

I break into the Banking industry a couple of years ago. It is not easy to enter the industry if you do not have connections or relevant skill sets. This is a very closed industry and people basically musical chair from bank to bank. Only those already working in the industry will have the relevant experience to move upwards. Therefore, you need to find a foot in. Once you are inside, it is very easy to move. From Operations to Compliance, Finance to Product Control, Project Management to Front Office Support.

For someone with no experience or connection... You can either apply the grad positions of respective banks and hopefully get a foot in. If not, taking up contract role helps alot. Many people working in the industry started out as contractor. Lastly, the longer way is to obtain the relevant experience. Banks love to hire people from MAS, Big 4, Technology Firms, Consulting Firms etc depends on your interest.

Hope this helps.

coolcat25 11-05-2019 06:41 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Unregistered (Post 118579)
You're missing important information. Which school? Any internship experience? Any working experience at all?

coventry uni psych bsc hons. intern for a research assistant. food counter attendant fam biz for 8 years. now trying to set a foot in banking industry.

Unregistered 11-05-2019 08:36 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by coolcat25 (Post 118609)
coventry uni psych bsc hons. intern for a research assistant. food counter attendant fam biz for 8 years. now trying to set a foot in banking industry.

you went overseas for study?

your internship might not be a good match for the banking industry. you might need to start from entry level contract jobs.