Cold calls/emails to HR - Salary.sg Forums
Salary.sg Forums  

Go Back   Salary.sg Forums > The Salary.sg Discussion Forums: > Income and Jobs

Income and Jobs Discuss jobs, career options and of course salaries

Cold calls/emails to HR

Old 08-04-2019, 08:06 PM

positivethinker is on a distinguished road
Default Cold calls/emails to HR

Wondering if anyone here has tried cold-calling or cold-emailing the HR or hiring manager (if you happened to know) to follow up on the status, when you received no response for your online applications?

Read many online career advice, one of which said cold-calling/emailing HR may work. But is that really the case in SG? Any HR here would like to share your view on this, that is would you get irritated when you received such cold-calls/emails?

Old 08-04-2019, 08:57 PM
Unregistered

Quote:
Originally Posted by positivethinker View Post
Wondering if anyone here has tried cold-calling or cold-emailing the HR or hiring manager (if you happened to know) to follow up on the status, when you received no response for your online applications?

Read many online career advice, one of which said cold-calling/emailing HR may work. But is that really the case in SG? Any HR here would like to share your view on this, that is would you get irritated when you received such cold-calls/emails?
If you call once a week it's fine. It's called hungry for the job. If u call everyday its called harassing.

Old 23-04-2019, 10:24 PM
Unregistered

Quote:

Chasing HR for interview/job application status is normal in Western countries but if you do it here in singapore, they would find you "too desperate" for job. Which in my opinion, should not be looked at that way at all. It should show hunger for ones' candidate rather than being perceived "she is too desperate for the job". I would suggest emailing once a week. It is the attitude mindset that counts. Private companies would love to hear from candidates calling back in but in my case, public sectors are always not so happy on the phone or rather sound so harsh about job status. Good luck.

Old 28-05-2020, 05:09 PM
Unregistered

what to say if i'm trying to cold-call / cold-email HR to followup on my application, without sounding demanding, desperate or annoying?
Old 28-05-2020, 05:46 PM
Unregistered

i emailed hr for the status of my application 1 month after my interview. one replied me the next day to apologise for the long wait and that I was rejected. the other did not reply me at all and I didn't follow up as I took the hint I guess.
Old 28-05-2020, 06:54 PM
Unregistered

Quote:
Originally Posted by Unregistered View Post
i emailed hr for the status of my application 1 month after my interview. one replied me the next day to apologise for the long wait and that I was rejected. the other did not reply me at all and I didn't follow up as I took the hint I guess.
Hmmmmm thought govt HR got some SQC, ISO or quality service thing? never close loop will minus some sort of points for them right? but possibly no implications so cant be bothered - paper paper play only

Old 28-05-2020, 09:44 PM
Unregistered

Quote:
Originally Posted by Unregistered View Post
Hmmmmm thought govt HR got some SQC, ISO or quality service thing? never close loop will minus some sort of points for them right? but possibly no implications so cant be bothered - paper paper play only
Wrong. These days, if you do not hear anything after 1 month, you may consider your application to he unsuccessful. Too many people fighting over 1 job.
Old 29-05-2020, 03:10 AM
Unregistered

Oh please. I'm from HR and I hate my existence. Everyday just entertain all this people asking for higher pay etc. The thing people don't understand is.... HR is not the approving party. We are not the one who decides "let's wait for a few weeks for a better candidate"

The one who decide is the one who interview you. No sorry that's also not true cause they only fill up the form then it need to be approved by the hiring manager then the cost center manaherr. Nerd the boss to approval from finance.

When you ask for 7.5k because you believe you deserve it. Its not HR who decide you should get 7k instead. Rather, the amount have already been decided before hand. Hiring process need to be approved.

So if the department put up a hiring order for someone at 4k...our job as HR is just find out and select the candidate who best match this 4k requirement. If we can get a 7.5k candidate to agree to this 4k. Even better for us.

And on top of that remember... We as HR personnel, we ourselves get admin salary in the range of 3k to 5k
So excuse me if you think a nobody who asking 7.5k want to know whether he got the job... Well... Wait long long or better... Get the hint.
We don't have the energy or resources to call up every single one of the candidate to thank them for their interest but unfortunately we find that you might not be suitable for this role.
Old 29-05-2020, 08:17 AM
Unregistered

I think calling to follow up on status post interview is not cold calling and is perfectly acceptable.

Otherwise a cold email to enquire opportunities is perfectly acceptable. I have done that before and gotten some meaningful replies on both internship and employment. However these need to be targeted at certain companies or roles. If you mass send you everyone without knowing what their business is into then of course cannot work.
Old 29-05-2020, 09:48 PM
Unregistered

Quote:

yeah it's fine to just follow up once if you've been waiting for say 2-3 weeks without any response for the application, though usually they have this practice where no response = unsuccessful application. I'd say just follow up and shoot your shot, no harm trying and it may even catch HR's attention in the process. I've done this a few times and actually got them to reply me so it's worth the attempt. However, as some people mentioned, don't overdo it (calling many times in just a few days) because that's harassment and desperation.

Also, interesting that you mentioned cold calls/mails. If you are bold enough, try dropping HR your resume and ask if they would consider you for any job openings. I've done this ONCE in my hundreds of applications and you'd be surprised to know HR bothered to reply lol.