Need some opinion - Salary.sg Forums
Salary.sg Forums  

Go Back   Salary.sg Forums > The Salary.sg Discussion Forums: > Income and Jobs

Income and Jobs Discuss jobs, career options and of course salaries




Need some opinion

Reply
 
Thread Tools
  #1 (permalink)  
Old 17-03-2019, 12:11 AM
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2019
Posts: 1
supermannn is on a distinguished road
Default Need some opinion

I just graduated from NUS (with 2nd upper). Working in a MNC with 2.9K monthly. I think I am underpaid. and i am considering to look for other job.
would like to ask for some opinion on this. and also curious about the pay range for a fresh grad - both private and public sector?

Reply With Quote
  #2 (permalink)  
Old 17-03-2019, 01:28 AM
Unregistered
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by supermannn View Post
I just graduated from NUS (with 2nd upper). Working in a MNC with 2.9K monthly. I think I am underpaid. and i am considering to look for other job.
would like to ask for some opinion on this. and also curious about the pay range for a fresh grad - both private and public sector?
It depends on which industry you're in.

Most public sector pay is usually in the 4-4.5k range. Of course this differs based the govt enterprise/stat board you enter. i.e. GIC vs MTI

For private sector ranges are wide. Highest pay can be up to almost 8-10k for IBD/S&T/PB and big 4 grads get around 2.8k+. MA programs are around 4-5k, varying across the different industries.

Reply With Quote
  #3 (permalink)  
Old 17-03-2019, 01:31 AM
Unregistered
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Default

progression in pvt is faster compared to public sector.
Even though your starting salary will be higher in public sector due to your class of honours, but subsequently, your increments will be lower.

Reply With Quote
  #4 (permalink)  
Old 17-03-2019, 07:44 AM
Unregistered
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Default

My suggestion is to stay put and gain some experience as a fresh graduate. You have to give explanation if you leave without a job or leave a job with short tenure.

I started with 2900 back in 2012 and I got the job prior to graduation. Back then my main priority is to get employed and start repayment my study loan. Some of my peers who got first class honours or double degree took close to 1 year to get a desired job.

Another important factor is to meet a good boss/mentor who can teach you the ropes.

Many non monetary factors come into play when you consider whether you like your job.
Reply With Quote
  #5 (permalink)  
Old 17-03-2019, 07:55 PM
Junior Member
 
Join Date: May 2016
Posts: 7
tiredv is on a distinguished road
Default

which industry and role are you in TS, maybe that can shed some light whether you are really underpaid.
Reply With Quote
  #6 (permalink)  
Old 19-03-2019, 06:46 PM
Unregistered
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Thumbs down

yesterday i joined a new job thru capita as a cso but pay is low 1800 pm. I am a degree grad took this job bcos couldnt stand myself sitting at home. yesterday i joined but the location was different from the contract i have signed. Initially, they told me this location is for time being but later manager said i am working here permanently. i spoke to my manager about this and he said im working perm at a different location (that was not stated in the contract), and if i have a problem with that i should talk to my capita agent. i spoke to my agent and she said i am complaining and im the first one to complain about :/ . what she doesnt know that is i could press charges for breaching the contract as the working location is different. I was so ready to work in the designated location that was stated in the contract (e.g work attire, attitude etc) and the location that im being posted for is so slow paced and dull. I decided not to go work and my agent said i have to give 1 month notice period but I don't wish to work for a location that is forcing me to work when I did not sign for this assignment. Could I be blacklisted for future jobs? And what shall I do to my agent? This is so sickening guys please help me it is my first ever job and I hate it. I have spoken to my friend who is a marine lawyer and he said that the contract is already been breached since they told you to work in a different location which I did not signed up for. He told me to write this in an email and send it to my agent. I have written the email and have sent it to her but until now no reply.

Just to note the working locations are all under same company

How do I prevent myself from getting blacklisted?
Reply With Quote

  #7 (permalink)  
Old 19-03-2019, 06:58 PM
Unregistered
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Question

Quote:
Originally Posted by Unregistered View Post
yesterday i joined a new job thru capita as a cso but pay is low 1800 pm. I am a degree grad took this job bcos couldnt stand myself sitting at home. yesterday i joined but the location was different from the contract i have signed. Initially, they told me this location is for time being but later manager said i am working here permanently. i spoke to my manager about this and he said im working perm at a different location (that was not stated in the contract), and if i have a problem with that i should talk to my capita agent. i spoke to my agent and she said i am complaining and im the first one to complain about :/ . what she doesnt know that is i could press charges for breaching the contract as the working location is different. I was so ready to work in the designated location that was stated in the contract (e.g work attire, attitude etc) and the location that im being posted for is so slow paced and dull. I decided not to go work and my agent said i have to give 1 month notice period but I don't wish to work for a location that is forcing me to work when I did not sign for this assignment. Could I be blacklisted for future jobs? And what shall I do to my agent? This is so sickening guys please help me it is my first ever job and I hate it. I have spoken to my friend who is a marine lawyer and he said that the contract is already been breached since they told you to work in a different location which I did not signed up for. He told me to write this in an email and send it to my agent. I have written the email and have sent it to her but until now no reply.

Just to note the working locations are all under same company

How do I prevent myself from getting blacklisted?
Did the contract state that the company is allowed to deploy you at any location when needed?

You have nothing to lose by stating to agent on the contract clauses.
Reply With Quote
  #8 (permalink)  
Old 20-03-2019, 09:22 AM
Unregistered
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Unregistered View Post
yesterday i joined a new job thru capita as a cso but pay is low 1800 pm. I am a degree grad took this job bcos couldnt stand myself sitting at home. yesterday i joined but the location was different from the contract i have signed. Initially, they told me this location is for time being but later manager said i am working here permanently. i spoke to my manager about this and he said im working perm at a different location (that was not stated in the contract), and if i have a problem with that i should talk to my capita agent. i spoke to my agent and she said i am complaining and im the first one to complain about :/ . what she doesnt know that is i could press charges for breaching the contract as the working location is different. I was so ready to work in the designated location that was stated in the contract (e.g work attire, attitude etc) and the location that im being posted for is so slow paced and dull. I decided not to go work and my agent said i have to give 1 month notice period but I don't wish to work for a location that is forcing me to work when I did not sign for this assignment. Could I be blacklisted for future jobs? And what shall I do to my agent? This is so sickening guys please help me it is my first ever job and I hate it. I have spoken to my friend who is a marine lawyer and he said that the contract is already been breached since they told you to work in a different location which I did not signed up for. He told me to write this in an email and send it to my agent. I have written the email and have sent it to her but until now no reply.

Just to note the working locations are all under same company

How do I prevent myself from getting blacklisted?
I think you should know the answer yourself whether you will be blacklist not. By not turning up for work and also not giving 1 month notice and writing email to HR. Do you think they will pretend everything did not happen and arrange for you your second job? Since there are so many job agency around, just go to others..
Reply With Quote
  #9 (permalink)  
Old 22-03-2019, 02:16 PM
Unregistered
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Unregistered View Post
Did the contract state that the company is allowed to deploy you at any location when needed?

You have nothing to lose by stating to agent on the contract clauses.
The contract that i signed for was agreed to work in X place but was put to work in Y place and when I started to ask questions about both my manager and agent said i was complaining. So i contacted my friend who is a lawyer ans he told me to draft an email to the agent that the contract has already been breached and if I continue to work in a different assignment that i did not agreed upon it, it is like forcing me to work. The agent had agreed to come my way and decided to terminate my contract. I think she scaredy cat lol when she made me sign a breached contract. First job first agent some more. I dont think i could be blacklist for this reason if agent understood my terms right


FYI agency is capita. I suggest u should always ask extra questions about the workplace and have a copy for yourself of whatever u signed up for.
Reply With Quote
  #10 (permalink)  
Old 22-03-2019, 02:22 PM
Unregistered
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Unregistered View Post
Did the contract state that the company is allowed to deploy you at any location when needed?

You have nothing to lose by stating to agent on the contract clauses.
The contract that i signed for was agreed to work in X place but was put to work in Y place and when I started to ask questions about both my manager and agent said i was complaining. So i contacted my friend who is a lawyer ans he told me to draft an email to the agent that the contract has already been breached and if I continue to work in a different assignment that i did not agreed upon it, it is like forcing me to work. The agent had agreed to come my way and decided to terminate my contract. I think she scaredy cat lol when she made me sign a breached contract. First job first agent some more. I dont think i could be blacklist for this reason if agent understood my terms right


FYI agency is capita. I suggest u should always ask extra questions about the workplace and have a copy for yourself of whatever u signed up for.
Reply With Quote
Reply

Bookmarks

Tags
fresh graduates, opinion, underpaid

« Previous Thread | Next Thread »

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are Off


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Your opinion on 1-year MBA from Amity Global Business Schooll yck621 Income and Jobs 3 21-01-2015 08:11 PM
need opinion agsani18 Income and Jobs 2 18-03-2012 07:34 PM

» 30 Recent Threads
Mid-Year Civil Servant Bonus 2018 ( 1 2 3... Last Page)
37 Replies, 55,187 Views
Need career advice : quit 9 month... ( 1 2)
12 Replies, 1,006 Views
Compare civil service salary ( 1 2 3... Last Page)
8,081 Replies, 4,533,984 Views
Lawyer Salary ( 1 2 3... Last Page)
4,287 Replies, 1,527,005 Views
DBS Management Associate Program... ( 1 2 3... Last Page)
1,015 Replies, 136,801 Views
SIM-UOL fresh grad starting pay ( 1 2 3... Last Page)
2,344 Replies, 1,108,848 Views
How is life as a doctor in... ( 1 2 3... Last Page)
602 Replies, 649,432 Views
Anyone jobless for a long time... ( 1 2 3... Last Page)
2,147 Replies, 788,211 Views
Constituency Manager (People... ( 1 2 3... Last Page)
687 Replies, 346,593 Views
Exxon Mobil Equipment tech or... ( 1 2 3... Last Page)
1,518 Replies, 390,006 Views
Working in HDB ( 1 2 3... Last Page)
285 Replies, 208,188 Views
How to get into Banking industry? ( 1 2)
12 Replies, 797 Views
NUS working environment and pay... ( 1 2 3... Last Page)
61 Replies, 44,994 Views
AML/Compliance/KYC professionals... ( 1 2 3... Last Page)
1,322 Replies, 463,588 Views
GovTech career grade ( 1 2 3... Last Page)
63 Replies, 67,765 Views
Civil Svc/ Statboard - Typical... ( 1 2 3... Last Page)
1,504 Replies, 631,751 Views
Whats your net worth ( 1 2 3... Last Page)
2,667 Replies, 699,120 Views
Advice needed!! SPF Senior police... ( 1 2 3... Last Page)
64 Replies, 122,523 Views
How much are you earning per annum? ( 1 2 3... Last Page)
11,674 Replies, 3,364,138 Views
Anyone working in NTU... ( 1 2 3... Last Page)
82 Replies, 78,580 Views
Career as Teacher ( 1 2 3... Last Page)
1,637 Replies, 1,098,620 Views
MINDEF DXO (All FAQ on it) ( 1 2 3... Last Page)
2,381 Replies, 1,438,837 Views
Private Banking Client Services...
8 Replies, 4,345 Views
Private Banking Salaries ( 1 2 3... Last Page)
76 Replies, 93,794 Views
Civil Service Performance Bonus ( 1 2 3... Last Page)
1,175 Replies, 888,405 Views
share your instant death at... ( 1 2 3... Last Page)
31 Replies, 12,371 Views
Pharmacy or Chemical Engineering ( 1 2 3)
28 Replies, 7,377 Views
ST Electronics ( 1 2 3... Last Page)
271 Replies, 113,626 Views
New EC at Sumang Walk
0 Replies, 96 Views
Interested in Position of VP... ( 1 2)
16 Replies, 16,939 Views
Powered by vBadvanced CMPS v3.2.2



All times are GMT +8. The time now is 04:26 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.5
Copyright ©2000 - 2019, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Content Relevant URLs by vBSEO 3.3.2