Salary.sg Forums

Salary.sg Forums (https://forums.salary.sg/)
-   Income and Jobs (https://forums.salary.sg/income-jobs/)
-   -   More education, better job opportunities? (https://forums.salary.sg/income-jobs/1141-more-education-better-job-opportunities.html)

curryrice 20-12-2010 11:13 AM

More education, better job opportunities?

Hi, I graduated with a local NTU degree in Electrical/Electronics engineering 4 years ago. There are many foreigners from China and India in my company.

I was wondering if getting a Masters degree (in engineering) would help to provide an "edge" for my career?

Opportunities for advancement are mostly provided to these guys, while locally born-and-bred guys like me are given supporting roles.

Not too sure if a Masters would help... I asking here 'cos I not too sure if it would be time and money well-spent on a Masters degree (in engineering).

Your advices would be very much appreciated.

Unregistered 20-12-2010 09:13 PM

sorry to say, the straight answer is no. it is more advisable to pursue a diploma or a post grad diploma.

firstly, singapore is not an engineering hub, companies would prefer to employ experienced engineers, preferably diploma holders because it is more cost efficient. in singapore, experience counts.

secondly, the demand for masters holder is low. look through job sites: mostly are looking for "degree or diploma preferred". Good luck in finding one which is specifically looking for masters.

if u want a masters, u can excel in ur career in countries like UK or US.

curryrice 21-12-2010 04:53 PM

in that case, there may be no need for SIT and SUTD... :)

Unregistered 21-12-2010 09:13 PM

u already said it

u already said it - u got no advancement in ur company ... why dont u change company ??

curryrice 22-12-2010 04:19 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Unregistered (Post 8340)
u already said it - u got no advancement in ur company ... why dont u change company ??

Facing a dilemma here, not too sure if being in a different company (but still doing engineering) will provide advancement opportunities or is it just an engineering line thing?

Please advise...

Unregistered 22-12-2010 07:33 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by curryrice (Post 8332)
in that case, there may be no need for SIT and SUTD... :)

yes, if u wan to continue to hear whining by poly grads on why they are still left out from uni admissions

curryrice 22-12-2010 10:10 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Unregistered (Post 8354)
yes, if u wan to continue to hear whining by poly grads on why they are still left out from uni admissions

OMG. It's like the opening of both SIT and SUTD is just for political reasons to silent the poly grads. After they graduate, they may be no real value in their degree?

Unregistered 02-01-2011 10:22 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by curryrice (Post 8316)
Hi, I graduated with a local NTU degree in Electrical/Electronics engineering 4 years ago. There are many foreigners from China and India in my company.

I was wondering if getting a Masters degree (in engineering) would help to provide an "edge" for my career?

Opportunities for advancement are mostly provided to these guys, while locally born-and-bred guys like me are given supporting roles.

Not too sure if a Masters would help... I asking here 'cos I not too sure if it would be time and money well-spent on a Masters degree (in engineering).

Your advices would be very much appreciated.

In most cases your role in the view of your boss is already fixed. Even if you get higher education or do self improvement course, it is unlikely to change the mindset or the mental mold of your manager on you. If he thinks you are not up to it, even if a position opens up, he will offer it to someone outside and not to you. Once you touch ****, it belongs to you forever. Most local managers are like that.

Best to leave and seek other opportunity.

curryrice 06-01-2011 10:56 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Unregistered (Post 8467)
In most cases your role in the view of your boss is already fixed. Even if you get higher education or do self improvement course, it is unlikely to change the mindset or the mental mold of your manager on you. If he thinks you are not up to it, even if a position opens up, he will offer it to someone outside and not to you. Once you touch ****, it belongs to you forever. Most local managers are like that.

Best to leave and seek other opportunity.

I guess you are right. Leaving for another company should be the better option. I will just keep joining and leaving until I find the right company with the right boss to work for.

Thank you so much for your insights. Keep them coming!

Unregistered 04-02-2011 12:22 AM

If BioEngineering grads further their studies by getting a Masters cert, they might be throwing away their money?