Career Advice for Comp Sci Grad: Banking or Public sector job? - Salary.sg Forums
Salary.sg Forums  

Go Back   Salary.sg Forums > The Salary.sg Discussion Forums: > Income and Jobs

Income and Jobs Discuss jobs, career options and of course salaries




Career Advice for Comp Sci Grad: Banking or Public sector job?

Reply
 
Thread Tools
  #1 (permalink)  
Old 20-11-2018, 02:28 AM
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2018
Posts: 6
sggirl is on a distinguished road
Smile Career Advice for Comp Sci Grad: Banking or Public sector job?

Hi there,

I am soon-to-be local university CS grad with a 2nd lower honours degree. I have received several offers from private banks and local banks, and now I've narrowed it down to a offer from a FB ( grad programme) with 4.6k start pay and a definite pay increment + promotion yearly for 2 years to manager position should I stay inside.

I am also trying out for public sectors like GovTech / DSTA and tech companies such as grab /honestbee. I would like to know if there is any career opportunities for me regarding these spots or should I just accept the offer given to me.

Thanks

Reply With Quote
  #2 (permalink)  
Old 21-11-2018, 10:32 PM
Unregistered
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by sggirl View Post
Hi there,

I am soon-to-be local university CS grad with a 2nd lower honours degree. I have received several offers from private banks and local banks, and now I've narrowed it down to a offer from a FB ( grad programme) with 4.6k start pay and a definite pay increment + promotion yearly for 2 years to manager position should I stay inside.

I am also trying out for public sectors like GovTech / DSTA and tech companies such as grab /honestbee. I would like to know if there is any career opportunities for me regarding these spots or should I just accept the offer given to me.

Thanks
If you in bank then you will be stuck in IT finance industry forever loh cause if you switch u will definitely take a significant paycut.

In terms of SG and you really want go technical path then tech company is the way to go =)...... GovTech is not bad too but also depends on which dept and proj u go to =)

In terms of pay all should be ard the one u stated but annual package not sure =)

But if u already gotten an offer from the bank, it is highly likely that the offer will expire before u get another offer. So tink wisely haha in terms of ur career path within the next 5 yrs...... if u only care abt $$ then u can accept the bank offer, career path wise bank does not offer much

Reply With Quote
  #3 (permalink)  
Old 30-11-2018, 04:36 AM
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2018
Posts: 6
sggirl is on a distinguished road
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Unregistered View Post
If you in bank then you will be stuck in IT finance industry forever loh cause if you switch u will definitely take a significant paycut.

In terms of SG and you really want go technical path then tech company is the way to go =)...... GovTech is not bad too but also depends on which dept and proj u go to =)

In terms of pay all should be ard the one u stated but annual package not sure =)

But if u already gotten an offer from the bank, it is highly likely that the offer will expire before u get another offer. So tink wisely haha in terms of ur career path within the next 5 yrs...... if u only care abt $$ then u can accept the bank offer, career path wise bank does not offer much
Hi hi thanks for replying!! May i know why you think that there will be a significant paycut if I switch in the future?? Isit because companies think you don't learn much tech stuff at banks or..?

I was thinking of gaining experiences in the fintech industry and switching to a IT consulting role in the future e.g Accenture, SAP



Primary School English Grammar and Vocabulary Drills
Primary School English Grammar and Vocabulary Drills


SG Bus Timing App
SG Bus Timing App - the best bus app - available on iOS and Android


SGX Stocks Android App - check share prices
SGX Stocks [Android] App - check latest share prices on the go


SGX Stocks for iPad - check latest Singapore share prices
SGX Stocks [iPad] app
| SGX Stocks [iPhone] app
Reply With Quote
  #4 (permalink)  
Old 30-11-2018, 08:59 AM
Unregistered
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by sggirl View Post
Hi there,

I am soon-to-be local university CS grad with a 2nd lower honours degree. I have received several offers from private banks and local banks, and now I've narrowed it down to a offer from a FB ( grad programme) with 4.6k start pay and a definite pay increment + promotion yearly for 2 years to manager position should I stay inside.

I am also trying out for public sectors like GovTech / DSTA and tech companies such as grab /honestbee. I would like to know if there is any career opportunities for me regarding these spots or should I just accept the offer given to me.

Thanks
lol look at that salary, I know its citibank. Actually you really need to think before joining. I kinda like gov sector but I strongly encourage you to go out to private sector before joining.
Reply With Quote
  #5 (permalink)  
Old 02-12-2018, 09:33 PM
Unregistered
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Default

Would suggest going to the bank, you'll be in better shape to make a leap to where you really want to be in the tech industry - Google, Facebook, Grab, etc. More possibilities if you're willing to expand globally. The salaries there, especially at the first two, are pretty insane.
Reply With Quote
  #6 (permalink)  
Old 02-12-2018, 11:53 PM
Unregistered
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by sggirl View Post
Hi hi thanks for replying!! May i know why you think that there will be a significant paycut if I switch in the future?? Isit because companies think you don't learn much tech stuff at banks or..?

I was thinking of gaining experiences in the fintech industry and switching to a IT consulting role in the future e.g Accenture, SAP
Fintech is typically very specialized and pay higher compared to other counterpart in tech industry(exception of google,facebook, visa all those)

If you jump to another sector in tech like for example non finance(lots of your experience would be redundant and the only relevant one are those transferable basic skills, hence you will be taking a pay cut due to skill mismatch and the industry not paying as much for same lvl role in bank)...
why skill mismatch? because the technology you used is most likely product based which is not very good for progressing your technical skills, it is good for improving your bizness skill as it is very process base.

So if you intend to go like SAP, go join a company that have project in SAP and willing to groom you in that domain, you would have a high chance of getting your role in SAP.
For finance you are pretty much limited to fintech and non-tech role like business analyst etc unless you are a google standard developer which you can jump to almost anywhere.
And rmb bank really like to offshore if they can for things like programming.
Reply With Quote

Reply

Bookmarks

« Previous Thread | Next Thread »
Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are Off


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
is public sector good for fresh grad? wintrysun Income and Jobs 20 05-07-2016 02:25 PM
Career advice for fresh grad bookwormm Income and Jobs 17 05-07-2015 02:47 PM
Seeking advise on a banking career from an overseas grad Rwolf Income and Jobs 45 14-05-2015 12:12 PM
Advice needed: Public or Private sector for Fresh Grad? clouds Income and Jobs 9 17-02-2015 02:27 PM
Importance of Education level between Private Sector and Public Sector mshappy Income and Jobs 3 09-10-2013 06:24 PM

» 30 Recent Threads
How is life as a doctor in... ( 1 2 3... Last Page)
2,912 Replies, 1,460,901 Views
Anyone jobless for a long time... ( 1 2 3... Last Page)
3,103 Replies, 1,329,795 Views
Q: Big4 - Yearly salary increment ( 1 2 3... Last Page)
3,386 Replies, 1,391,233 Views
Civil Svc/ Statboard - Typical... ( 1 2 3... Last Page)
3,952 Replies, 1,810,279 Views
If you can't find a company here... ( 1 2 3)
23 Replies, 2,672 Views
Relocation to the US or stay in SG? ( 1 2 3)
21 Replies, 855 Views
Queries about Cpib application ( 1 2 3... Last Page)
1,285 Replies, 651,923 Views
Compare civil service salary ( 1 2 3... Last Page)
12,727 Replies, 7,485,876 Views
Getting MBA worth? ( 1 2 3... Last Page)
134 Replies, 101,061 Views
Lawyer Salary ( 1 2 3... Last Page)
14,347 Replies, 4,827,166 Views
GovTech ( 1 2 3... Last Page)
487 Replies, 345,430 Views
DBS tech seed programme ( 1 2 3... Last Page)
1,093 Replies, 269,923 Views
How much to ask for starting pay... ( 1 2 3... Last Page)
201 Replies, 68,578 Views
SIM-UOL fresh grad starting pay ( 1 2 3... Last Page)
6,152 Replies, 1,719,627 Views
GovTech Tech Associate Program... ( 1 2 3... Last Page)
115 Replies, 44,693 Views
Anyone working in Recruit express? ( 1 2 3)
29 Replies, 39,077 Views
Compilation of MAs/Analysts Gross... ( 1 2 3... Last Page)
823 Replies, 221,934 Views
Anyone work in JPM/GS/Morgan... ( 1 2 3... Last Page)
64 Replies, 10,387 Views
High Finance Thread ( 1 2 3... Last Page)
347 Replies, 111,346 Views
NCS (SingTel subsidiary) ( 1 2 3... Last Page)
575 Replies, 458,255 Views
Top paying companies in SG for... ( 1 2 3... Last Page)
97 Replies, 138,512 Views
Hospital (Private or Public)... ( 1 2 3... Last Page)
91 Replies, 27,037 Views
MINDEF DXO (All FAQ on it) ( 1 2 3... Last Page)
4,204 Replies, 2,594,208 Views
Mnc jobs - a must in life ?? ( 1 2 3... Last Page)
168 Replies, 68,683 Views
Officer Role in Bank of Tokyo -... ( 1 2 3... Last Page)
208 Replies, 172,206 Views
Working 2 FT (remote) jobs?...
2 Replies, 160 Views
Luxoft
0 Replies, 43 Views
DBS Graduate Associate Program ( 1 2 3... Last Page)
2,065 Replies, 567,113 Views
Grab Finance Graduate Programme... ( 1 2)
16 Replies, 2,037 Views
Powered by vBadvanced CMPS v3.2.2



All times are GMT +8. The time now is 06:16 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.5
Copyright ©2000 - 2021, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Content Relevant URLs by vBSEO 3.3.2