Salary.sg Forums  

Go Back   Salary.sg Forums > The Salary.sg Discussion Forums: > Income and Jobs

Income and Jobs Discuss jobs, career options and of course salaries

Prospects for Investment Banking graduates

Old 07-05-2017, 01:46 PM

johnson is on a distinguished road
Default Prospects for Investment Banking graduates

Hello all,

I am looking to join the investment banking industry in Singapore after I complete my university education. Currently, I have been offered a place at Wharton Business School of University of Pennsylvania, and am facing difficulties deciding whether I should take up a scholarship bond. To all those experienced in this sector, I wish to better understand the options available for me, especially since a US education could easily cost up to 100k/year without scholarships and financial aid.

I mainly want to know more about the career progression and options in both the private sector as well as the government entities like GIC. Funny coming from someone interested in IB, but I don't just want a job with high economic returns, more so one that is both viable and fulfilling in the long run without having me burning out few years into my career. Thank you!

Old 07-05-2017, 11:54 PM
Unregistered

wrong forum friend, this is the epitome of first world problems. anw it's obvious you're in it for the money, and there is absolutely nothing wrong with that. it's just that there's no point asking us for advice on a career which you which 'is viable, fulfilling, and does not burn you out' because no one knows you better than yourself.

investment banking is a great career choice because you can go to anywhere after that. anywhere. and it's funny that people always vilify bankers because the world would suck without bankers. wharton is full of people like you, high-achieving young kids out to make a quick buck. and being in the number one feeder school to high finance you have nothing to worry about if you do semi-well in school, and aren't socially awkward enough for all the financial institutions out there to deny you employment.

only take a scholarship to overseas studies if you can get the GIC one. barring that, just finance the overseas education. it's short term pain for a life time of gain. and just remember to treat your parents well once you're in ibd.

Old 19-05-2017, 02:35 PM
Unregistered

Quote:
Originally Posted by johnson View Post
Hello all,

I am looking to join the investment banking industry in Singapore after I complete my university education. Currently, I have been offered a place at Wharton Business School of University of Pennsylvania, and am facing difficulties deciding whether I should take up a scholarship bond. To all those experienced in this sector, I wish to better understand the options available for me, especially since a US education could easily cost up to 100k/year without scholarships and financial aid.

I mainly want to know more about the career progression and options in both the private sector as well as the government entities like GIC. Funny coming from someone interested in IB, but I don't just want a job with high economic returns, more so one that is both viable and fulfilling in the long run without having me burning out few years into my career. Thank you!

It really depends on which part of the investment bank you would be working in, whether is it a more deals (M&A) oriented role or a public markets role (S&T).

On the more deals oriented role, you can either work your way up to MD level within IBD, move out to the buyside in PE or go into corporate development (internal M&A).

On the more public markets oriented role, beside moving upwards within the firm, exit options include going to mutual funds, asset management or hedge funds.

Government entities like GIC and Temasek Holdings have roles for both deals/alternative investment and public markets investment arms.

Burnout occurs really fast in IBD, as such people tend to work only work there for about 2 years before moving on to the buy-side or corporate.

Old 19-05-2017, 02:40 PM
Unregistered

Quote:
Originally Posted by Unregistered View Post
wrong forum friend, this is the epitome of first world problems. anw it's obvious you're in it for the money, and there is absolutely nothing wrong with that. it's just that there's no point asking us for advice on a career which you which 'is viable, fulfilling, and does not burn you out' because no one knows you better than yourself.

investment banking is a great career choice because you can go to anywhere after that. anywhere. and it's funny that people always vilify bankers because the world would suck without bankers. wharton is full of people like you, high-achieving young kids out to make a quick buck. and being in the number one feeder school to high finance you have nothing to worry about if you do semi-well in school, and aren't socially awkward enough for all the financial institutions out there to deny you employment.

only take a scholarship to overseas studies if you can get the GIC one. barring that, just finance the overseas education. it's short term pain for a life time of gain. and just remember to treat your parents well once you're in ibd.
You are a waste of space on this forum you piece of ****. Shut up if you have nothing to say.
Old 19-05-2017, 07:00 PM
Unregistered

Quote:
You are a waste of space on this forum you piece of ****. Shut up if you have nothing to say.
The irony of this post. Dumb cunt
Old 29-05-2017, 01:41 AM
Unregistered

Quote:

This is gold

Old 29-05-2017, 01:52 AM
Unregistered

Quote:

People like you make this forum trash.
Old 03-06-2017, 08:36 AM
Unregistered

Getting into Wharton does not mean you are only suited to be an investment banker. You can always work in a Fortune 500 company. But if you are going there, you should be making plans to stay in the US after you graduate for a few years at least. The prospects in SG are slim, unless you are already in a graduate program and your study is already sponsored.

Quote:
Originally Posted by johnson View Post
Hello all,

Old 20-06-2017, 05:09 PM
Unregistered

Good luck getting visa pwned in 4 years.
Old 09-01-2019, 10:33 PM
Unregistered

Smile Free IB interview guide

Hey guys, I just come across this investment banking interview guide. Check it out!" ://everythingaboutib.com/