How much can an actuary make? - Page 2 - Salary.sg Forums
Salary.sg Forums  

Go Back   Salary.sg Forums > The Salary.sg Discussion Forums: > Income and Jobs

Income and Jobs Discuss jobs, career options and of course salaries




How much can an actuary make?

Reply
 
Thread Tools
  #11 (permalink)  
Old 09-04-2011, 10:44 PM
Unregistered Lion
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Default

base pay is about $2,400 (if you do not have any actuarial exams, or if the company does not reimburse you straight up for your IOA/IAA exemptions)

end 2008: starting pay was $3,300 (i have passed Exam P/1 and Exam F/2 and am an overseas graduate)
2009: no promotion/increment (bad financial situation), remain at $3,300
passed Exam MLC/3L and MFE/3F: $3,600
2010: no promotion, token increment to $3,672
2011: passed FAP-IA: $4,122
no promotion, token increment to $4,251

doesn't look like i will be a millionaire any time soon, now, does it?

Reply With Quote
  #12 (permalink)  
Old 09-04-2011, 11:52 PM
Unregistered
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Unregistered Lion View Post
base pay is about $2,400 (if you do not have any actuarial exams, or if the company does not reimburse you straight up for your IOA/IAA exemptions)

end 2008: starting pay was $3,300 (i have passed Exam P/1 and Exam F/2 and am an overseas graduate)
2009: no promotion/increment (bad financial situation), remain at $3,300
passed Exam MLC/3L and MFE/3F: $3,600
2010: no promotion, token increment to $3,672
2011: passed FAP-IA: $4,122
no promotion, token increment to $4,251

doesn't look like i will be a millionaire any time soon, now, does it?
I would say, that's very good progression. You have gotten $900 increment in just a little over 2 years.

Reply With Quote
  #13 (permalink)  
Old 13-04-2011, 10:08 PM
Unregistered
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Default Co-Op ENGR STUDENT

I'm gonna go with the Engineering as highest paid, heck I'm only a co-op student and my base salary is 5K, I have another year left of schooling.

Reply With Quote
  #14 (permalink)  
Old 14-04-2011, 08:43 AM
Unregistered
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Unregistered View Post
I'm gonna go with the Engineering as highest paid, heck I'm only a co-op student and my base salary is 5K, I have another year left of schooling.
you most probably not from singapore!!!
Reply With Quote
  #15 (permalink)  
Old 15-12-2011, 07:38 AM
Unregistered
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Default qualified actuary experience

As a qualified actuary from the UK, I was offered a role in Singapore in 2010 with a salary in the region of 150k p.a. while this seemed a lot, once I had factored in things like accomodation and schooling for my kids, the salary swan't as inviting.

Actuaries, even fairly junior ones, can make significantly more money in the UK just now due to EU regulatory change. Once that dries up I'll look again at Singapore.
Reply With Quote
  #16 (permalink)  
Old 15-12-2011, 11:06 AM
Unregistered
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Unregistered View Post
As a qualified actuary from the UK, I was offered a role in Singapore in 2010 with a salary in the region of 150k p.a. while this seemed a lot, once I had factored in things like accomodation and schooling for my kids, the salary swan't as inviting.

Actuaries, even fairly junior ones, can make significantly more money in the UK just now due to EU regulatory change. Once that dries up I'll look again at Singapore.
150k pa for an expat is considered way too low. Remember that the spouse usually doesn't work and that the kids' education is relatively more expensive even if they attend local schools. Rental will be another major burden. I would say overall quality of life will be worse than that of a typical Singaporean family living in a 5-room HDB flat.
Reply With Quote

  #17 (permalink)  
Old 15-12-2011, 03:24 PM
Unregistered
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Default

The most pathetic pay of all professional is enginering which is why nowadays fewer ppl choose engineering for their tertiary education ,u can see the trend now every youngsters jumping to finance and banking ..
Reply With Quote
  #18 (permalink)  
Old 15-12-2011, 04:21 PM
Unregistered
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Unregistered View Post
The most pathetic pay of all professional is enginering which is why nowadays fewer ppl choose engineering for their tertiary education ,u can see the trend now every youngsters jumping to finance and banking ..
Soon the whole world will be full of bankers and finance professionals, lending money to one another and investing money in each other's investment firms, which in turn invest money in banks and other financial firms. Finance will account for 100% of GDP. Everyone will be a billionaire.
Reply With Quote
  #19 (permalink)  
Old 16-12-2011, 06:41 PM
Unregistered
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Unregistered View Post
the best paying jobs are engineering jobs.
Junior Engineer: 5k
Senior Engineer: 8k
Staff Engineer: 10k
Principal Engineer: 12k
Engineering Manager: 16k
Engineering Director: 30k + shares benefits
The guy who posted this must be an engineer who has gone mad from poverty.... Ha, ha... either that or perharps the numbers are for annual income instead or monthly salary... Hilarious joke indeed!! ha, ha, ha......
Reply With Quote
  #20 (permalink)  
Old 16-12-2011, 11:52 PM
Unregistered
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Unregistered View Post
The guy who posted this must be an engineer who has gone mad from poverty.... Ha, ha... either that or perharps the numbers are for annual income instead or monthly salary... Hilarious joke indeed!! ha, ha, ha......
What's wrong with his post?
Reply With Quote
Reply

Bookmarks

Tags
actuarial science, actuary, finance, insurance

« Previous Thread | Next Thread »
Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are Off


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Tuition Teachers Make 20k Salary.sg Income and Jobs 7 24-09-2020 09:50 AM
Property Agents make A LOT of Money Salary.sg Income and Jobs 209 28-09-2017 12:38 PM
how to make it big in engineering? wulala Income and Jobs 6 12-04-2011 04:00 PM
SMU Fresh Grads Make $4k to $10k Salary.sg Income and Jobs 140 04-06-2010 06:42 PM

» 30 Recent Threads
Dsta ( 1 2 3... Last Page)
848 Replies, 583,685 Views
Lawyer Salary ( 1 2 3... Last Page)
9,738 Replies, 3,181,543 Views
Singtel Management Associate... ( 1 2 3... Last Page)
130 Replies, 92,758 Views
Civil Service Performance Bonus ( 1 2 3... Last Page)
1,676 Replies, 1,374,576 Views
Career as Teacher ( 1 2 3... Last Page)
2,963 Replies, 1,818,307 Views
MINDEF DXO (All FAQ on it) ( 1 2 3... Last Page)
3,473 Replies, 2,053,658 Views
How is life as a doctor in... ( 1 2 3... Last Page)
1,525 Replies, 1,005,840 Views
DBS Graduate Associate Program ( 1 2 3... Last Page)
749 Replies, 383,613 Views
UOB Management Associate Program ( 1 2 3... Last Page)
286 Replies, 187,009 Views
ST Electronics ( 1 2 3... Last Page)
1,059 Replies, 283,721 Views
MasterCard Graduate Developement... ( 1 2 3)
24 Replies, 7,103 Views
AML/Compliance/KYC professionals... ( 1 2 3... Last Page)
1,407 Replies, 597,010 Views
How Much Do You Need to Earn... ( 1 2 3... Last Page)
41 Replies, 18,962 Views
How much are you earning per annum? ( 1 2 3... Last Page)
12,111 Replies, 3,890,703 Views
Software developers salary outlier ( 1 2)
13 Replies, 2,884 Views
Work culture in CPF board ( 1 2 3)
23 Replies, 35,115 Views
Civil Svc/ Statboard - Typical... ( 1 2 3... Last Page)
2,803 Replies, 1,183,476 Views
Singapore LNG Pay
4 Replies, 1,427 Views
Ex-MOE Teachers ( 1 2 3... Last Page)
85 Replies, 123,706 Views
Compare civil service salary ( 1 2 3... Last Page)
10,916 Replies, 6,037,143 Views
Pay grade at CSA ( 1 2 3... Last Page)
150 Replies, 40,246 Views
Q: Big4 - Yearly salary increment ( 1 2 3... Last Page)
1,055 Replies, 836,203 Views
Any Kaplan students here can land... ( 1 2)
15 Replies, 2,352 Views
Part-time Higher NITEC in...
2 Replies, 1,995 Views
Allied educator scheme
2 Replies, 718 Views
Anyone jobless for a long time... ( 1 2 3... Last Page)
3,017 Replies, 1,161,356 Views
Advantages
3 Replies, 1,340 Views
DBS tech seed programme ( 1 2 3... Last Page)
168 Replies, 18,240 Views
Credit Suisse - IB Academy
0 Replies, 125 Views
Powered by vBadvanced CMPS v3.2.2



All times are GMT +8. The time now is 11:58 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.5
Copyright ©2000 - 2020, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Content Relevant URLs by vBSEO 3.3.2