Salary.sg Forums

Salary.sg Forums (https://forums.salary.sg/)
-   Income and Jobs (https://forums.salary.sg/income-jobs/)
-   -   How much can an actuary make? (https://forums.salary.sg/income-jobs/1105-how-much-can-actuary-make.html)

Unregistered Lion 09-04-2011 10:44 PM

base pay is about $2,400 (if you do not have any actuarial exams, or if the company does not reimburse you straight up for your IOA/IAA exemptions)

end 2008: starting pay was $3,300 (i have passed Exam P/1 and Exam F/2 and am an overseas graduate)
2009: no promotion/increment (bad financial situation), remain at $3,300
passed Exam MLC/3L and MFE/3F: $3,600
2010: no promotion, token increment to $3,672
2011: passed FAP-IA: $4,122
no promotion, token increment to $4,251

doesn't look like i will be a millionaire any time soon, now, does it?

Unregistered 09-04-2011 11:52 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Unregistered Lion (Post 11127)
base pay is about $2,400 (if you do not have any actuarial exams, or if the company does not reimburse you straight up for your IOA/IAA exemptions)

end 2008: starting pay was $3,300 (i have passed Exam P/1 and Exam F/2 and am an overseas graduate)
2009: no promotion/increment (bad financial situation), remain at $3,300
passed Exam MLC/3L and MFE/3F: $3,600
2010: no promotion, token increment to $3,672
2011: passed FAP-IA: $4,122
no promotion, token increment to $4,251

doesn't look like i will be a millionaire any time soon, now, does it?

I would say, that's very good progression. You have gotten $900 increment in just a little over 2 years.

Unregistered 13-04-2011 10:08 PM

Co-Op ENGR STUDENT

I'm gonna go with the Engineering as highest paid, heck I'm only a co-op student and my base salary is 5K, I have another year left of schooling.

Unregistered 14-04-2011 08:43 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Unregistered (Post 11275)
I'm gonna go with the Engineering as highest paid, heck I'm only a co-op student and my base salary is 5K, I have another year left of schooling.

you most probably not from singapore!!!

Unregistered 15-12-2011 07:38 AM

qualified actuary experience

As a qualified actuary from the UK, I was offered a role in Singapore in 2010 with a salary in the region of 150k p.a. while this seemed a lot, once I had factored in things like accomodation and schooling for my kids, the salary swan't as inviting.

Actuaries, even fairly junior ones, can make significantly more money in the UK just now due to EU regulatory change. Once that dries up I'll look again at Singapore.

Unregistered 15-12-2011 11:06 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Unregistered (Post 18867)
As a qualified actuary from the UK, I was offered a role in Singapore in 2010 with a salary in the region of 150k p.a. while this seemed a lot, once I had factored in things like accomodation and schooling for my kids, the salary swan't as inviting.

Actuaries, even fairly junior ones, can make significantly more money in the UK just now due to EU regulatory change. Once that dries up I'll look again at Singapore.

150k pa for an expat is considered way too low. Remember that the spouse usually doesn't work and that the kids' education is relatively more expensive even if they attend local schools. Rental will be another major burden. I would say overall quality of life will be worse than that of a typical Singaporean family living in a 5-room HDB flat.

Unregistered 15-12-2011 03:24 PM

The most pathetic pay of all professional is enginering which is why nowadays fewer ppl choose engineering for their tertiary education ,u can see the trend now every youngsters jumping to finance and banking ..

Unregistered 15-12-2011 04:21 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Unregistered (Post 18881)
The most pathetic pay of all professional is enginering which is why nowadays fewer ppl choose engineering for their tertiary education ,u can see the trend now every youngsters jumping to finance and banking ..

Soon the whole world will be full of bankers and finance professionals, lending money to one another and investing money in each other's investment firms, which in turn invest money in banks and other financial firms. Finance will account for 100% of GDP. Everyone will be a billionaire.

Unregistered 16-12-2011 06:41 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Unregistered (Post 7927)
the best paying jobs are engineering jobs.
Junior Engineer: 5k
Senior Engineer: 8k
Staff Engineer: 10k
Principal Engineer: 12k
Engineering Manager: 16k
Engineering Director: 30k + shares benefits

The guy who posted this must be an engineer who has gone mad from poverty.... Ha, ha... either that or perharps the numbers are for annual income instead or monthly salary... Hilarious joke indeed!! ha, ha, ha......

Unregistered 16-12-2011 11:52 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Unregistered (Post 18898)
The guy who posted this must be an engineer who has gone mad from poverty.... Ha, ha... either that or perharps the numbers are for annual income instead or monthly salary... Hilarious joke indeed!! ha, ha, ha......

What's wrong with his post?