OCBC Graduate Talent Programme 2019 (Previously Young Banker) - Page 27 - Salary.sg Forums
Salary.sg Forums  

Go Back   Salary.sg Forums > The Salary.sg Discussion Forums: > Income and Jobs

Income and Jobs Discuss jobs, career options and of course salaries




OCBC Graduate Talent Programme 2019 (Previously Young Banker)

Reply
 
Thread Tools
  #261 (permalink)  
Old 22-04-2020, 02:07 PM
Unregistered
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Unregistered View Post
Don't know where you got your source from regarding OCBC freezing headcount. Anyway, even without the three local banks promising not to cut jobs during this crisis, they already have a reputation of offering high job stability. Vis-a-vis most international banks and especially the bulge bracket, two things stand out. One, their much lower retrenchment rates and two, the much higher average tenure of their employees. This means great job stability, but that's just one side of the coin. The flip side is the much lower bonus payouts, generally inferior salaries and lack of dynamism. You cannot have your cake and eat it; if you pledge zero job cuts, that means even your bottom performers don't get cut and that means deadweight that you can't shed. While many companies are busy restructuring and retrenching to stay competitive and better position themselves for the eventual recovery, the three local banks have decided to take a different approach. This approach is reflective of the broader Asian boomer culture within the local banks, which is characterised by risk aversion, rigidity and resistance to change. When you join a local bank, you are choosing stability over dynamism.
stability is a nice way of saying, cannot jump out because no one wants you.
'stuck' is another perspective.



Primary School English Grammar and Vocabulary Drills
Primary School English Grammar and Vocabulary Drills


SG Bus Timing App
SG Bus Timing App - the best bus app - available on iOS and Android


SGX Stocks Android App - check share prices
SGX Stocks [Android] App - check latest share prices on the go


SGX Stocks for iPad - check latest Singapore share prices
SGX Stocks [iPad] app
| SGX Stocks [iPhone] app
Reply With Quote
  #262 (permalink)  
Old 23-04-2020, 07:05 AM
Unregistered
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Default

Whether one gets 'stuck' in a local bank largely depends on how long one has been there. Basically the longer one remains in a local bank, the more 'stuck' one becomes. However, a local banking job can be used as a stepping stone to more lucrative jobs elsewhere. Many fresh grads realise this and that is exactly what they do, especially through the programmes (e.g. DBS Graduate Associate Programme, OCBC Graduate Talent Programme etc.). Spending more than 5 years in a local bank is not ideal for the driven, aspiring local uni grad over the long term, in terms of career and salary progression. This is because these banks are less meritocratic than hierarchical. On one end of this spectrum, you have the purely performance-driven corporate culture typified by many big American firms, on the other the hierarchical one embodied in Japanese firms where the number of years worked counts more towards your progression than work performance. The local banks' corporate culture tends toward the latter. Also, the increment and bonus given for most functions within these banks are inferior to their counterparts in the likes of HSBC, Citibank, JPM etc. The only exception that I can think of would be retail banking RMs, because their salaries and bonuses are largely commission-based and the commission structure is broadly similar across all banks licensed to deal in retail banking products in Singapore. If you're in corporate banking, the gap between the local banks and big foreign banks is even wider. Firstly, the local banks mainly serve local SMEs. The needs of such companies and the financial services they require are nowhere near as sophisticated as that of MNCs. Secondly, the local banks lack a global presence. Most of their presence is concentrated in Asia, with only a few token branches outside of it. This means that they are not able to support truly global companies that operate across vast geographies as well as a global bank. Think of it like a gym membership. If you're a jet-setting executive who has to fly all over the world, you'll want to sign up to a gym that has outlets all over the world rather than one that only operates locally. So even the MNCs that the local banks service tend not to be the big boys. So if you're an AVP or above doing corporate banking in a local bank, you're quite stuck. Even if you've been servicing big corporates, your experience and exposure are pretty local. Worse if you're in SME banking.

Reply With Quote
  #263 (permalink)  
Old 23-04-2020, 11:20 PM
Unregistered
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Unregistered View Post
Whether one gets 'stuck' in a local bank largely depends on how long one has been there. Basically the longer one remains in a local bank, the more 'stuck' one becomes. However, a local banking job can be used as a stepping stone to more lucrative jobs elsewhere. Many fresh grads realise this and that is exactly what they do, especially through the programmes (e.g. DBS Graduate Associate Programme, OCBC Graduate Talent Programme etc.). Spending more than 5 years in a local bank is not ideal for the driven, aspiring local uni grad over the long term, in terms of career and salary progression. This is because these banks are less meritocratic than hierarchical. On one end of this spectrum, you have the purely performance-driven corporate culture typified by many big American firms, on the other the hierarchical one embodied in Japanese firms where the number of years worked counts more towards your progression than work performance. The local banks' corporate culture tends toward the latter. Also, the increment and bonus given for most functions within these banks are inferior to their counterparts in the likes of HSBC, Citibank, JPM etc. The only exception that I can think of would be retail banking RMs, because their salaries and bonuses are largely commission-based and the commission structure is broadly similar across all banks licensed to deal in retail banking products in Singapore. If you're in corporate banking, the gap between the local banks and big foreign banks is even wider. Firstly, the local banks mainly serve local SMEs. The needs of such companies and the financial services they require are nowhere near as sophisticated as that of MNCs. Secondly, the local banks lack a global presence. Most of their presence is concentrated in Asia, with only a few token branches outside of it. This means that they are not able to support truly global companies that operate across vast geographies as well as a global bank. Think of it like a gym membership. If you're a jet-setting executive who has to fly all over the world, you'll want to sign up to a gym that has outlets all over the world rather than one that only operates locally. So even the MNCs that the local banks service tend not to be the big boys. So if you're an AVP or above doing corporate banking in a local bank, you're quite stuck. Even if you've been servicing big corporates, your experience and exposure are pretty local. Worse if you're in SME banking.
stepping stone is one way of looking at it.

another way is, it's nobody's first choice.

Reply With Quote
  #264 (permalink)  
Old 24-04-2020, 12:45 AM
Unregistered
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Unregistered View Post
stepping stone is one way of looking at it.

another way is, it's nobody's first choice.
From the way u reply, i suppose u are the same person who posted #261

Why do u need to be so spiteful and pour cold water on graduates who join local banks? Yes, local banks are not people’s first choice but so what? There are only xx number of slots in the foreign banks. Logically, what do u suggest then if they did not get offered? Obviously those that didnt manage to get these roles will apply to the local banks.

Is there really a need to make derogatory remarks about people in the local banks? Or are you making these remarks to feed ur ego of working in a foreign bank? Yes, we all know that foreign banks have a certain “prestige” over the local banks but aren’t these people still working a decent job? This is after all their first job upon graduation so let them explore along the way. Since you sound like you are knowledgeable in the banking field, maybe u could provide useful insights like what post #262 shared.

Good luck to everyone!
Reply With Quote
  #265 (permalink)  
Old 24-04-2020, 06:32 PM
Unregistered
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Default

in this environment, good ****ing luck to u if you are in a foreign bank
Reply With Quote
  #266 (permalink)  
Old 24-04-2020, 10:46 PM
Unregistered
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Unregistered View Post
From the way u reply, i suppose u are the same person who posted #261

Why do u need to be so spiteful and pour cold water on graduates who join local banks? Yes, local banks are not people’s first choice but so what? There are only xx number of slots in the foreign banks. Logically, what do u suggest then if they did not get offered? Obviously those that didnt manage to get these roles will apply to the local banks.

Is there really a need to make derogatory remarks about people in the local banks? Or are you making these remarks to feed ur ego of working in a foreign bank? Yes, we all know that foreign banks have a certain “prestige” over the local banks but aren’t these people still working a decent job? This is after all their first job upon graduation so let them explore along the way. Since you sound like you are knowledgeable in the banking field, maybe u could provide useful insights like what post #262 shared.

Good luck to everyone!

Whether I'm being spiteful or speaking the truth, it's up to you to decide. You feel that you want to feel. I don't need to feed my ego. No one is putting anyone's career down, just stating facts that's all.

You seem unable to take criticism. You probably work in local bank.

Heehee!


Primary School English Grammar and Vocabulary Drills
Primary School English Grammar and Vocabulary Drills


SG Bus Timing App
SG Bus Timing App - the best bus app - available on iOS and Android


SGX Stocks Android App - check share prices
SGX Stocks [Android] App - check latest share prices on the go


SGX Stocks for iPad - check latest Singapore share prices
SGX Stocks [iPad] app
| SGX Stocks [iPhone] app
Reply With Quote

  #267 (permalink)  
Old 24-04-2020, 10:47 PM
Unregistered
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Unregistered View Post
in this environment, good ****ing luck to u if you are in a foreign bank
Only poor performers are worried for their jobs.

High flyers will always be in demand. They will always have doors open for them
Reply With Quote
  #268 (permalink)  
Old 24-04-2020, 11:39 PM
Unregistered
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Unregistered View Post
in this environment, good ****ing luck to u if you are in a foreign bank
agree but pledging no retrenchments like dbs, ocbc and uob means they cant use this period to restructure and emerge stronger and more competitive. end of the day, it's the duds in these 3 banks who will profit from this crisis and make no mistake, there are more of them in the local banks than in any other bank. this crisis aint going to affect them since they cant get retrenched and whatever bonus these banks can cut from them is already small to start with.
Reply With Quote
  #269 (permalink)  
Old 25-04-2020, 06:20 PM
Unregistered
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Unregistered View Post
Only poor performers are worried for their jobs.

High flyers will always be in demand. They will always have doors open for them
Extremely well-said. There are more foreign banks than local ones here. Everyone knows the fastest way up the ladder in foreign banks is to play musical chairs and make D/MD and then move to the local banks. Majority of the senior management in the 3 local banks are hired from foreign banks.
Reply With Quote
  #270 (permalink)  
Old 06-05-2020, 04:54 PM
Unregistered
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Default

hi anyone knows what's the average pay for a second lower grad student in one of the local unis?
Reply With Quote
Reply

Bookmarks

« Previous Thread | Next Thread »
Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are Off


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
OCBC Young Bankers Programme ricecake Income and Jobs 101 16-03-2020 05:10 PM
ocbc associate/fresh talent programme (ops & tech) janlin Income and Jobs 41 14-05-2015 08:05 PM
OCBC Young Bankers Programme hashbrowntime Income and Jobs 0 16-01-2015 05:07 AM
OCBC Young Banker Programs (Group Tech) FreshGraduate Income and Jobs 1 19-03-2014 08:41 AM
OCBC Young Banker Programs FreshGraduate Income and Jobs 1 25-02-2014 07:57 AM

» 30 Recent Threads
MINDEF DXO (All FAQ on it) ( 1 2 3... Last Page)
4,081 Replies, 2,528,372 Views
Maybank ( 1 2 3)
21 Replies, 6,822 Views
How is HTX Associate Programme... ( 1 2 3)
21 Replies, 6,785 Views
Compare civil service salary ( 1 2 3... Last Page)
12,606 Replies, 7,352,313 Views
Q: Big4 - Yearly salary increment ( 1 2 3... Last Page)
2,686 Replies, 1,285,589 Views
Lawyer Salary ( 1 2 3... Last Page)
13,740 Replies, 4,622,407 Views
Work culture in IHiS ( 1 2 3... Last Page)
148 Replies, 137,698 Views
MAS for Mid Career Professionals ( 1 2 3... Last Page)
482 Replies, 273,647 Views
Roles in accenture singapore ( 1 2 3... Last Page)
2,018 Replies, 523,477 Views
Starting Pay for CS/Ministries... ( 1 2 3... Last Page)
243 Replies, 110,076 Views
Queries about Cpib application ( 1 2 3... Last Page)
1,269 Replies, 642,186 Views
UOB Management Associate Program ( 1 2 3... Last Page)
447 Replies, 276,482 Views
IMDA (under MCI) ( 1 2 3... Last Page)
119 Replies, 58,070 Views
ST Electronics ( 1 2 3... Last Page)
2,335 Replies, 575,163 Views
Career as Teacher ( 1 2 3... Last Page)
4,009 Replies, 2,505,058 Views
How is life as a doctor in... ( 1 2 3... Last Page)
2,753 Replies, 1,414,051 Views
How much are you earning per annum? ( 1 2 3... Last Page)
12,699 Replies, 4,357,741 Views
If you can't find a company here... ( 1 2)
12 Replies, 1,553 Views
GIC (Government of Singapore... ( 1 2 3... Last Page)
329 Replies, 453,717 Views
Asset Management Salary ( 1 2 3... Last Page)
33 Replies, 4,040 Views
DBS tech seed programme ( 1 2 3... Last Page)
869 Replies, 224,138 Views
Pacific Century CyberWorks (PCCW)
1 Replies, 60 Views
Working Culture in IRAS ( 1 2 3... Last Page)
56 Replies, 86,546 Views
All about Home Affairs Senior... ( 1 2 3... Last Page)
182 Replies, 208,384 Views
Hospital (Private or Public)... ( 1 2 3... Last Page)
87 Replies, 23,186 Views
Visa Inc
0 Replies, 52 Views
Shopee
0 Replies, 85 Views
Food Panda
1 Replies, 68 Views
Powered by vBadvanced CMPS v3.2.2



All times are GMT +8. The time now is 08:13 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.5
Copyright ©2000 - 2021, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Content Relevant URLs by vBSEO 3.3.2