Salary.sg Forums

Salary.sg Forums (https://forums.salary.sg/)
-   Income and Jobs (https://forums.salary.sg/income-jobs/)
-   -   Choosing between 2 contract jobs from public and private sector (https://forums.salary.sg/income-jobs/10804-choosing-between-2-contract-jobs-public-private-sector.html)

okaio 17-09-2018 05:46 PM

Choosing between 2 contract jobs from public and private sector

Hi, I'm a fresh grad and I was recently offered a 6 month contract at a stat board, and a 2 year contract at a private institution. Pay difference is about $200 apart.

While of course the obvious choice would be to accept the latter, the industry that I hope to enter is definitely more related to what the stat board is doing, and might even want to pursue further studies in the area! If not for the short contract duration, and the lack of security of a 6 months contract job, I'd accept the offer... So am at a dilemma here, really.

Just wondering if anybody have any knowledge of contract jobs in the public sector? And what's the chance of conversion, extension, or whether there's a higher chance of getting hired at other positions?

Thank you!

Unregistered 17-09-2018 05:50 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by okaio (Post 110268)
Hi, I'm a fresh grad and I was recently offered a 6 month contract at a stat board, and a 2 year contract at a private institution. Pay difference is about $200 apart.

While of course the obvious choice would be to accept the latter, the industry that I hope to enter is definitely more related to what the stat board is doing, and might even want to pursue further studies in the area! If not for the short contract duration, and the lack of security of a 6 months contract job, I'd accept the offer... So am at a dilemma here, really.

Just wondering if anybody have any knowledge of contract jobs in the public sector? And what's the chance of conversion, extension, or whether there's a higher chance of getting hired at other positions?

Thank you!

did they mentioned 6 mth renewable or 6 mth fixed, if fixed means no chance.. after 6 mth jobless liao.. if 6 mth fixed, no use join, nothing to learn, they prob give u those admin work cos scared teach u so much also no use, up 6 mths u will be gone..

okaio 18-09-2018 12:04 AM

well, they said that it may be extended subject to the worker's performance and manpower needs. so it's not really fixed or renewable, they can't guarantee either.

Unregistered 18-09-2018 09:39 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by okaio (Post 110289)
well, they said that it may be extended subject to the worker's performance and manpower needs. so it's not really fixed or renewable, they can't guarantee either.

wah, like that danger, what if after 6 mths they no longer need, then u jobless liao… but on positive note and luck, if within that 6 months, someone perm resign, and u apply, u stand better chance to get... I have witness it before, join contact 1 yr role, suddenly 1 perm staff resign, she then apply and get the perm role... so depends I guess..