Local bank's practices on corporate title AVP/VP - Salary.sg Forums
Salary.sg Forums  

Go Back   Salary.sg Forums > The Salary.sg Discussion Forums: > Income and Jobs

Income and Jobs Discuss jobs, career options and of course salaries




Local bank's practices on corporate title AVP/VP

Reply
 
Thread Tools
  #1 (permalink)  
Old 15-09-2018, 07:02 PM
Verified Member
 
Join Date: Sep 2018
Posts: 12
rapdec87 is on a distinguished road
Default Local bank's practices on corporate title AVP/VP

Hi,

Sorry if its a noob question.

For someone without experience working in a bank and applying to a local bank (DBS) with close to 4 years of related exp (3 yrs 8 months), would that qualify for AVP rank? Is there a min number of years of related work experience to be considered for AVP rank or is it discretionary?

I understand also that bank HRs will do benchmarking, but assuming I do manage to be considered for the position, how will the benchmarking be done in consideration of bank title and pay? Glassdoor shows min pay for AVP level is 7k, but my last drawn was 4.4k - should I put 7k as min expected salary?

Thanks.

Reply With Quote
  #2 (permalink)  
Old 15-09-2018, 07:11 PM
Unregistered
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by rapdec87 View Post
Hi,

Sorry if its a noob question.

For someone without experience working in a bank and applying to a local bank (DBS) with close to 4 years of related exp (3 yrs 8 months), would that qualify for AVP rank? Is there a min number of years of related work experience to be considered for AVP rank or is it discretionary?

I understand also that bank HRs will do benchmarking, but assuming I do manage to be considered for the position, how will the benchmarking be done in consideration of bank title and pay? Glassdoor shows min pay for AVP level is 7k, but my last drawn was 4.4k - should I put 7k as min expected salary?

Thanks.
You will probably be an analyst or associate.

AVPs are inflated titles for some banks. If you are AVP with less than 5 years, it is inflated title.

My friend is also an AVP title in a US bank. 8 years exp and close to 10k.

Reply With Quote
  #3 (permalink)  
Old 15-09-2018, 07:14 PM
Verified Member
 
Join Date: Sep 2018
Posts: 12
rapdec87 is on a distinguished road
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Unregistered View Post
You will probably be an analyst or associate.

AVPs are inflated titles for some banks. If you are AVP with less than 5 years, it is inflated title.

My friend is also an AVP title in a US bank. 8 years exp and close to 10k.
I applied for, and being actively considered for a position advertised at AVP/VP level. So if I am offered the position, it will be at associate level at most?

Reply With Quote
  #4 (permalink)  
Old 15-09-2018, 07:18 PM
Verified Member
 
Join Date: Sep 2018
Posts: 12
rapdec87 is on a distinguished road
Default

On a related note, just curious - do local banks offer AVP titles for fresh grads?

Foreign banks like JPM offer AVP titles for top students straight out of school. Not sure if that is the case for local banks.
Reply With Quote
  #5 (permalink)  
Old 15-09-2018, 07:23 PM
Unregistered
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by rapdec87 View Post
I applied for, and being actively considered for a position advertised at AVP/VP level. So if I am offered the position, it will be at associate level at most?
This is definitely inflated title. An actual AVP requires at least 6 years and above. Your new salary should be in the 5k range which is a far cry from the actual AVP 8k and above.

Dont be distracted by these titles.

My title is analyst but I am getting 6k range. Not in banking btw.
Reply With Quote
  #6 (permalink)  
Old 15-09-2018, 07:27 PM
Verified Member
 
Join Date: Sep 2018
Posts: 12
rapdec87 is on a distinguished road
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Unregistered View Post
This is definitely inflated title. An actual AVP requires at least 6 years and above. Your new salary should be in the 5k range which is a far cry from the actual AVP 8k and above.

Dont be distracted by these titles.

My title is analyst but I am getting 6k range. Not in banking btw.
So even if they give the title, the salary will not be benchmarked to what other AVPs are making?
Reply With Quote

  #7 (permalink)  
Old 15-09-2018, 07:35 PM
Unregistered
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by rapdec87 View Post
So even if they give the title, the salary will not be benchmarked to what other AVPs are making?
You are right. Title is to make the person feels good. Everyone is an AVP in the banks.

If you can go for VP or SVP or directorship.

Most important thing is the compensation not title.

at most 5k range for your experience.
Reply With Quote
  #8 (permalink)  
Old 15-09-2018, 10:55 PM
Unregistered
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Default

Banks will always look at your last drawn (mostly on your fixed, a lot less consideration for your variable) when deciding on your offer. For local banks (middle/back office roles), there's always an internal equity and HR matrix they have to follow, and it's very rare to see increments of above 20% unless you're grossly underpaid for your level and experience. For foreign banks, there still are the elements I mentioned above but the range widely differs from bank to bank.

Some banks tag the corporate titles to your salary, and some tag it to your level of experience. For all banks, all positions come with some sort of range. For banks with pay structures that sometimes result in an overlap, they tend to do a combination of both when considering what to assign you.

Using myself as an example, I'm in Compliance (considered middle office in most banks) with about 5 years of banking exp, and my title at a Jap bank previously was AVP, drawing 5.5k. I'm now at a European bank where I'm classified as an associate drawing 7.5k. From what I know, I have a ex-colleague with 8 years of exp, in the same place I am currently, in a backoffice function, drawing the same amount as me but with an AVP title.

So take that how you will..
Reply With Quote
  #9 (permalink)  
Old 15-09-2018, 11:00 PM
Verified Member
 
Join Date: Sep 2018
Posts: 12
rapdec87 is on a distinguished road
Default

Does HR have the final say in assigning salary, or does the EVP/ED have an input to what you can/should be drawing since he/she is the head of the department and its logical that they have better sense of the ability of the candidate to contribute to the team?

Thanks.
Reply With Quote
  #10 (permalink)  
Old 15-09-2018, 11:13 PM
Unregistered
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Unregistered View Post
Banks will always look at your last drawn (mostly on your fixed, a lot less consideration for your variable) when deciding on your offer. For local banks (middle/back office roles), there's always an internal equity and HR matrix they have to follow, and it's very rare to see increments of above 20% unless you're grossly underpaid for your level and experience. For foreign banks, there still are the elements I mentioned above but the range widely differs from bank to bank.

Some banks tag the corporate titles to your salary, and some tag it to your level of experience. For all banks, all positions come with some sort of range. For banks with pay structures that sometimes result in an overlap, they tend to do a combination of both when considering what to assign you.

Using myself as an example, I'm in Compliance (considered middle office in most banks) with about 5 years of banking exp, and my title at a Jap bank previously was AVP, drawing 5.5k. I'm now at a European bank where I'm classified as an associate drawing 7.5k. From what I know, I have a ex-colleague with 8 years of exp, in the same place I am currently, in a backoffice function, drawing the same amount as me but with an AVP title.

So take that how you will..

Is your annual salary including bonus better in the European Bank now as compared to the Jap Bank?

Heard that European bank bonuses are lower.
Reply With Quote
Reply

Bookmarks

« Previous Thread | Next Thread »

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are Off


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Factual Local Bank Salaries - DBS , UOB , OCBC (A commoner climbing up the ranks) sgproptrader Income and Jobs 13 28-10-2018 03:37 PM
how much shall I expect for a vp role in a local bank? mangos47 Income and Jobs 40 15-02-2018 09:54 PM
Local Vs Foreign Bank Jobs Income and Jobs 18 01-02-2018 07:34 PM
jump from foreign bank to local bank arrownarrow Income and Jobs 4 30-07-2017 07:35 PM
$3.5K for an IT role in a local bank unknown Income and Jobs 11 14-03-2014 03:13 PM

» 30 Recent Threads
Compare civil service salary ( 1 2 3... Last Page)
7,450 Replies, 4,313,421 Views
DBS Management Associate Program... ( 1 2 3... Last Page)
217 Replies, 66,829 Views
Civil Service Performance Bonus ( 1 2 3... Last Page)
961 Replies, 759,301 Views
Anyone jobless for a long time... ( 1 2 3... Last Page)
1,908 Replies, 724,606 Views
Career as Teacher ( 1 2 3... Last Page)
1,319 Replies, 978,643 Views
Lawyer Salary ( 1 2 3... Last Page)
4,073 Replies, 1,398,465 Views
MINDEF DXO (All FAQ on it) ( 1 2 3... Last Page)
2,079 Replies, 1,353,494 Views
SIM-UOL fresh grad starting pay ( 1 2 3... Last Page)
2,249 Replies, 1,070,979 Views
DBS Graduate Associate Program ( 1 2 3... Last Page)
499 Replies, 245,356 Views
Q: Big4 - Yearly salary increment ( 1 2 3... Last Page)
782 Replies, 556,813 Views
UBS Graduate Talent Program ( 1 2 3)
21 Replies, 12,348 Views
How is life as a doctor in... ( 1 2 3... Last Page)
511 Replies, 602,389 Views
Associate in DBS ( 1 2 3... Last Page)
145 Replies, 189,982 Views
Salaries of Professors in SG ( 1 2 3... Last Page)
127 Replies, 193,591 Views
Constituency Manager (People... ( 1 2 3... Last Page)
679 Replies, 330,612 Views
Top paying companies in SG for... ( 1 2 3... Last Page)
70 Replies, 56,668 Views
UOB Management Associate Program ( 1 2 3... Last Page)
190 Replies, 107,124 Views
Queries about Cpib application ( 1 2 3... Last Page)
915 Replies, 366,641 Views
Exxon Mobil Equipment tech or... ( 1 2 3... Last Page)
1,400 Replies, 354,255 Views
Really that bad for engineers? ( 1 2 3... Last Page)
1,213 Replies, 798,230 Views
AML/Compliance/KYC professionals... ( 1 2 3... Last Page)
1,255 Replies, 431,336 Views
Exxonmobil ( 1 2)
14 Replies, 11,658 Views
GIC career ( 1 2 3... Last Page)
185 Replies, 242,715 Views
Commercial Affairs Officer ( 1 2 3... Last Page)
79 Replies, 46,255 Views
Foreigner in Banking Industry
4 Replies, 453 Views
Govtech bonus ( 1 2 3)
22 Replies, 2,669 Views
Enterprise Singapore hiriing... ( 1 2)
15 Replies, 3,649 Views
Asset Management Salary and... ( 1 2 3)
20 Replies, 6,597 Views
Civil Svc/ Statboard - Typical... ( 1 2 3... Last Page)
1,170 Replies, 571,280 Views
anyone working at NCS ? ( 1 2 3... Last Page)
269 Replies, 202,586 Views
Powered by vBadvanced CMPS v3.2.2



All times are GMT +8. The time now is 09:04 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.5
Copyright ©2000 - 2019, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Content Relevant URLs by vBSEO 3.3.2