should i accept a 2nd choice job offer? - Page 2 - Salary.sg Forums
Salary.sg Forums  

Go Back   Salary.sg Forums > The Salary.sg Discussion Forums: > Income and Jobs

Income and Jobs Discuss jobs, career options and of course salaries




should i accept a 2nd choice job offer?

 Citibank Cash Back Card - up to $350 cash back* - Click to Apply Now 
Reply
 
Thread Tools
  #11 (permalink)  
Old 31-08-2018, 09:44 PM
Verified Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2015
Posts: 24
wintrysun is on a distinguished road
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by kenzo View Post
Because I wasn't sure whether I will be able to get a better one (and having a huge gap is bad IMO) and the offer wasn't bad.
It was awkward because I was getting starting to get friendly with some of my colleague. My job was pretty flexible, lunch time etc, I also applied for leave.

You can drag longer before starting then go for more interviews.
i see good for you! turns out well in the end.. did you know your job will be flexible? when u joined the first job, do you already know that you want to quit? hence , the finding of the second job?

also, here;s a lame question :/, did you tell your boss face to face you want to quit and what reason you gave?

thanks!!!

Reply With Quote
  #12 (permalink)  
Old 31-08-2018, 09:46 PM
Verified Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2015
Posts: 24
wintrysun is on a distinguished road
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Unregistered View Post
It's a dilemma. It happened all the time, after you have accepted one offer and another better one come along. I always don't have the wisdom to choose the right one (banged head)!

mine's different . i dont have a better one in sight.. so if i joined, i have to go for interviews, which is the part that could detract me.

Reply With Quote
  #13 (permalink)  
Old 01-09-2018, 12:50 AM
Unregistered
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Unregistered View Post
It's a dilemma. It happened all the time, after you have accepted one offer and another better one come along. I always don't have the wisdom to choose the right one (banged head)!
Apart from the right one, the consideration time is usually very short! The HR usually don't give you enough time to consider. The situation is worse when it's from recruitment agency! So it's a stressful time to think carefully for the right job.

Reply With Quote
  #14 (permalink)  
Old 07-09-2018, 06:19 PM
Unregistered
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Default

I received an offer that is actually quite higher than I expected for a 2nd choice in which I need to give response by Monday, but I have been waiting for the 1st choice in which the final interview will be on Monday. What should I do to delay the decision of the offer? Should I tell the interviewer of the 1st choice that I have received an offer or just accept the 2nd choice?

Anyone who experienced this situation can provide advice? Thank in advance
Reply With Quote
  #15 (permalink)  
Old 08-09-2018, 08:58 PM
Unregistered
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Default

I would suggest letting 1st choice know that you've been offered with deadline. If they want you enough, they might make counter offer.

If they do, then it's kinda obligatory to take up their offer, since they are essentially foregoing other potent applicants for you. If they don't (or can't); well, maybe it's just as well you go with the second choice, then?


Quote:
Originally Posted by Unregistered View Post
I received an offer that is actually quite higher than I expected for a 2nd choice in which I need to give response by Monday, but I have been waiting for the 1st choice in which the final interview will be on Monday. What should I do to delay the decision of the offer? Should I tell the interviewer of the 1st choice that I have received an offer or just accept the 2nd choice?

Anyone who experienced this situation can provide advice? Thank in advance
Reply With Quote
  #16 (permalink)  
Old 08-09-2018, 09:34 PM
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2017
Posts: 8
kenzo is on a distinguished road
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Unregistered View Post
I received an offer that is actually quite higher than I expected for a 2nd choice in which I need to give response by Monday, but I have been waiting for the 1st choice in which the final interview will be on Monday. What should I do to delay the decision of the offer? Should I tell the interviewer of the 1st choice that I have received an offer or just accept the 2nd choice?

Anyone who experienced this situation can provide advice? Thank in advance
I have experienced this as well. I would accept the 2nd choice first. This may not be ethical, but as long as you haven't sign anything, it will only be considered a unofficial verbal agreement. Also push forward the other interview
Reply With Quote

  #17 (permalink)  
Old 08-09-2018, 11:33 PM
Unregistered
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Default

Thank you both for the suggestion. I having both final interview for 1st choice and the offer response for 2nd choice on the same day, upcoming Monday. So I think i will take up the suggestion to share my situation to the 1st choice interviewer first, before making any decision on the 2nd choice offer.

Hopefully the 1st choice interviewer does not find my action any aggressive or desperate.
Reply With Quote
  #18 (permalink)  
Old 03-05-2019, 05:58 PM
Unregistered
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by kenzo View Post
I have experienced this as well. I would accept the 2nd choice first. This may not be ethical, but as long as you haven't sign anything, it will only be considered a unofficial verbal agreement. Also push forward the other interview

Wonder how did it go?
Reply With Quote
  #19 (permalink)  
Old 08-05-2019, 05:19 PM
Unregistered
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Unregistered View Post
Wonder how did it go?
Ended up I got my first choice back then , but regretted after one month when they simply changed the job description after I had signed the contract. I looked for another job and had a better job fast enough to jump. So never 100 percent trust the interviewer and job descriptions posted online. Should have agreed with the second choice
Reply With Quote
Reply

Bookmarks

« Previous Thread | Next Thread »
Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are Off


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
If accepted a job offer, can accept another offer which comes before the start? dreamzknight Income and Jobs 5 01-04-2018 05:44 PM
Should I accept a new job with 11% base salary increase? tchen003 Income and Jobs 3 30-09-2017 01:22 PM
Should I accept the offer? bean13 Income and Jobs 21 28-10-2016 08:09 PM
Dilemma - accept job offer or further studies stonehallow Income and Jobs 30 26-11-2014 04:12 AM
Advice needed from fresh grad: accept offer or wait? kitdia Income and Jobs 21 14-12-2013 02:38 PM

» 30 Recent Threads
Lawyer Salary ( 1 2 3... Last Page)
8,978 Replies, 2,911,896 Views
ST Electronics ( 1 2 3... Last Page)
776 Replies, 234,016 Views
Whats your net worth ( 1 2 3... Last Page)
2,758 Replies, 818,222 Views
How to know you are not fit for...
2 Replies, 250 Views
Compare civil service salary ( 1 2 3... Last Page)
10,576 Replies, 5,800,334 Views
How to avoid giving pass salary...
7 Replies, 422 Views
MINDEF DXO (All FAQ on it) ( 1 2 3... Last Page)
3,374 Replies, 1,972,736 Views
DBS Graduate Associate Program ( 1 2 3... Last Page)
720 Replies, 361,154 Views
Ex-MOE Teachers ( 1 2 3... Last Page)
78 Replies, 117,390 Views
Job Application with MOE... ( 1 2 3... Last Page)
218 Replies, 215,988 Views
Civil/Public Sector -... ( 1 2 3... Last Page)
401 Replies, 216,619 Views
Civil Svc/ Statboard - Typical... ( 1 2 3... Last Page)
2,515 Replies, 1,069,032 Views
How is life as a doctor in... ( 1 2 3... Last Page)
1,376 Replies, 950,943 Views
Compilation of MAs/Analysts Gross... ( 1 2 3... Last Page)
120 Replies, 28,172 Views
How much are you earning per annum? ( 1 2 3... Last Page)
11,992 Replies, 3,801,118 Views
How much to ask for starting pay... ( 1 2 3... Last Page)
76 Replies, 5,876 Views
SIM-UOL fresh grad starting pay ( 1 2 3... Last Page)
3,090 Replies, 1,311,335 Views
How much do you earn and save? ( 1 2 3... Last Page)
128 Replies, 22,591 Views
Career as Teacher ( 1 2 3... Last Page)
2,817 Replies, 1,701,281 Views
Queries about Cpib application ( 1 2 3... Last Page)
1,119 Replies, 520,671 Views
Software developers salary outlier
9 Replies, 1,698 Views
technical role in pharmaceutical...
8 Replies, 2,311 Views
UOB Management Associate Program ( 1 2 3... Last Page)
264 Replies, 172,653 Views
Roles in accenture singapore ( 1 2 3... Last Page)
397 Replies, 261,573 Views
Civil Service Performance Bonus ( 1 2 3... Last Page)
1,625 Replies, 1,325,040 Views
ITE lecturer ( 1 2 3... Last Page)
137 Replies, 128,431 Views
Anyone jobless for a long time... ( 1 2 3... Last Page)
2,984 Replies, 1,126,690 Views
Finding freelance web developer...
2 Replies, 404 Views
need some info on CNB ( 1 2)
18 Replies, 1,836 Views
UBS Financial Services Industry... ( 1 2 3... Last Page)
151 Replies, 18,233 Views
Powered by vBadvanced CMPS v3.2.2



All times are GMT +8. The time now is 05:19 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.5
Copyright ©2000 - 2020, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Content Relevant URLs by vBSEO 3.3.2