Salary.sg Forums  

Go Back   Salary.sg Forums > The Salary.sg Discussion Forums: > Income and Jobs

Income and Jobs Discuss jobs, career options and of course salaries

Engineer Pay

Old 26-06-2022, 09:14 PM
Unregistered

Quote:
Originally Posted by Unregistered View Post
Do you feel is there any career progression for FSE?
I would say yes and no. The career progression of FSE is Engineer -> lead Engineer (for a single process module) -> Manager or Principle Engineer depending on what route you want to take. As for how fast you can get promoted, it depends on performance and luck (i would say 70:30) which is probably the same for all other engineering role. The difference is that customer feedback plays a factor in your performance. If you customer feedback is good, then good for you. But if customers are bad and like to kpkb, then just suck thumb and continue doing what you are supposed to do. So sometimes you might find some people can feel stuck in a position for some time while others can get promoted faster than expected. But on the plus side, there are little to no office politics and if you do feel you are stuck, you could always give a customers a nudge and try to get a job on their side with a higher pay. Hope this helps

Old 27-06-2022, 04:09 AM
Unregistered

Quote:
I will usually take public transport as it saves a lot of my transport allowance and my customer sites are close to my home. I only cab if I am short of time and to work only becuz its expensive. For my company, the transport allowance is decent and also increases if I owned a car (which I do not becuz again, its expensive especially with the price of the COE now).

If you are tired of office bound jobs, you can try field service engineer. You get to travel to customers sites with no concern of transport fees and get a lot of hands on work inside their fab labs. You will also spend a lot of times interacting with customers to meet their needs and sometimes may need to travel to different sites so you probably wont feel bored. I also heard if you are v good at what you are doing, customers may try to 'snatch' you by offering higher paying jobs. But as I mentioned b4 this job is not for everyone, it can be v tiring and your experience may vary depending on the customers. On the other hand, you can also take process support engineer. You still interact with customers but you spend time clutching data and analyzing numbers for machines instead of hands on. But once again, the experience is depend on customers
What do you do as a field engineer? troubleshoot circuitry?

Old 27-06-2022, 08:47 AM
Unregistered

Quote:
posted today 4:09am lol

Old 27-06-2022, 08:59 PM
Unregistered

Quote:
Troubleshooting circuitry/parts of the machine is part of it (maintenance). There is also configuration (eg. adjust position of robot arm), calibration, replacement of damaged parts and upgrading parts (aka retrofitting) which are pretty much what you expect of a normal technician. Do take note that a single process module can have different version or models of the equipment like iPhone 13 and IPhone 13 Pro etc so as an FSE you need to know all of them

That's the first half of FSE. The other half is essentially customer management which I would say it is a more interesting part about this job. Essentially, when customers will request/enquire something such as additional stuff or enquire on why this particular machine keeps breaking down etc, as a FSE, you would need to provide results or explaination for their request or enquires. It may sounds easy but its not. There are a lot of things you do not know or have and hence, you need to ask people and sometimes even chase them just to get the answers for your customers. And when you take too long, you also need to tell them why you took so long. Also, some request can be ridiculous (eg. Customers can request a process to be done in 2 days where you know usually it takes 5 days) which means you probably need to spend overtime just to get things done (usually have ot pay thankfully). That being said, I do feel that you can really learn a lot from this because the skills you learn are transferable but it depends from person to person.

One thing I forget to mentioned is that customers have servicing contracts which are essentially FSE lifeline. It is the job of FSE to uphold and maintain these service contracts as it can drastically affect your performance (more than customers complaining to your boss). I heard there are cases service contract are lost due to poor competency from the FSE. When that happens, your own work performance is significantly affected in a bad way. So as a FSE, you need to maintain the contract by showing your competency to them

I think there are a lot more than what I said but I will stop here. As I mentioned before, this job you can either love it or hate it. Fortunately, if choose to do this, the first few years would be more chill as customers would prefer people who are experience than those do not. I would say you use these few years to decide whether or not you want this as a job. Hope this helps as also.
Old 27-06-2022, 09:00 PM
Unregistered

Quote:
Troubleshooting circuitry/parts of the machine is part of it (maintenance). There is also configuration (eg. adjust position of robot arm), calibration, replacement of damaged parts and upgrading parts (aka retrofitting) which are pretty much what you expect of a normal technician. Do take note that a single process module can have different version or models of the equipment like iPhone 13 and IPhone 13 Pro etc so as an FSE you need to know all of them

That's the first half of FSE. The other half is essentially customer management which I would say it is a more interesting part about this job. Essentially, when customers will request/enquire something such as additional stuff or enquire on why this particular machine keeps breaking down etc, as a FSE, you would need to provide results or explaination for their request or enquires. It may sounds easy but its not. There are a lot of things you do not know or have and hence, you need to ask people and sometimes even chase them just to get the answers for your customers. And when you take too long, you also need to tell them why you took so long. Also, some request can be ridiculous (eg. Customers can request a process to be done in 2 days where you know usually it takes 5 days) which means you probably need to spend overtime just to get things done (usually have ot pay thankfully). That being said, I do feel that you can really learn a lot from this because the skills you learn are transferable but it depends from person to person.

One thing I forget to mentioned is that customers have servicing contracts which are essentially FSE lifeline. It is the job of FSE to uphold and maintain these service contracts as it can drastically affect your performance (more than customers complaining to your boss). I heard there are cases service contract are lost due to poor competency from the FSE. When that happens, your own work performance is significantly affected in a bad way. So as a FSE, you need to maintain the contract by showing your competency to them

I think there are a lot more than what I said but I will stop here. As I mentioned before, this job you can either love it or hate it. Fortunately, if choose to do this, the first few years would be more chill as customers would prefer people who are experience than those do not. I would say you use these few years to decide whether or not you want this as a job. Hope this helps as well
Old 27-06-2022, 10:32 PM
Unregistered

What's your YOE and salary may I ask for FSE

Old 28-06-2022, 07:55 AM
Unregistered

Quote:

I think there are a lot more than what I said but I will stop here. As I mentioned before, this job you can either love it or hate it. Fortunately, if choose to do this, the first few years would be more chill as customers would prefer people who are experience than those do not. I would say you use these few years to decide whether or not you want this as a job. Hope this helps as well
What’s the difference between field service engineer and field process engineer
Old 28-06-2022, 09:05 PM
Unregistered

Quote:
What's your YOE and salary may I ask for FSE
Sorry, what is YOE? For salary wise, its quite average, around 3.8k starting base pay. Depending on the company, they will also give you transport allowance which is around 700 - 800. This allowance are excluding from CPF so you can get to keep them if not used.
Old 28-06-2022, 09:30 PM
Unregistered

Quote:
Sorry, what is YOE? For salary wise, its quite average, around 3.8k starting base pay. Depending on the company, they will also give you transport allowance which is around 700 - 800. This allowance are excluding from CPF so you can get to keep them if not used.
YOE == Years of Experience

dam, are u a degree holder? no offense but that package sounds rly quite shitty, hope u are doing well for yourself rn. cheers, thanks for the sharing anyways.
Old 28-06-2022, 10:49 PM
Unregistered

Quote:
YOE == Years of Experience

dam, are u a degree holder? no offense but that package sounds rly quite shitty, hope u are doing well for yourself rn. cheers, thanks for the sharing anyways.
I don't think is shitty. one of my friends earns around 6k(including transport & OT) at Tok*** Ele***** and he is just a diploma holder only.