Salary.sg Forums

Salary.sg Forums (https://forums.salary.sg/)
-   Income and Jobs (https://forums.salary.sg/income-jobs/)
-   -   Engineer Pay (https://forums.salary.sg/income-jobs/10542-engineer-pay.html)

Unregistered 25-09-2021 08:55 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Unregistered (Post 184089)
Y1: 3k
Y2: 3k
Y3: 3.2k
Y4: 3.2k
Y5: 3.5k

fuking engineer sucks

Want to try be CS engineer instead?

Unregistered 25-09-2021 11:00 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Unregistered (Post 184107)

seems normal. May i know the job role?

Unregistered 25-09-2021 11:00 AM

Quote:

fuking engineer sucks

what role?

Unregistered 25-09-2021 11:04 AM

Quote:

fuking engineer sucks

Diploma holder in SME? I think quite normal if that’s the case.

Unregistered 25-09-2021 12:00 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Unregistered (Post 184120)
Diploma holder in SME? I think quite normal if that’s the case.

cant be diploma at 3k. degree at sme probably. kena lowballed to 3k. Some worse kena till 2.8-2.9k

Unregistered 25-09-2021 04:12 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Unregistered (Post 184107)

for what? CS high pay means i want do CS? lol everyday pull hair, OT like dog, no thanks

i rather get paid peanuts than to work like a dog looking at PC screen 8 hours a day everyday

Unregistered 25-09-2021 06:42 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Unregistered (Post 184158)
for what? CS high pay means i want do CS? lol everyday pull hair, OT like dog, no thanks

i rather get paid peanuts than to work like a dog looking at PC screen 8 hours a day everyday

the well paid ones are actually pretty easy. and not much OT. its those poorly paid ones that are exploited

Jasper 24-10-2021 09:47 PM

Been study while working
1st year with nitce 1750
5th year completed higher nitec 2200
6th year change job 3k
7th year change job 4k
8th year change job 3.7k
(due to SG dept close down need move oversea)
11th year current completed diploma 4k.
(No increasement due to covid situation)

Unregistered 24-10-2021 10:08 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Jasper (Post 187831)
Been study while working
1st year with nitce 1750
5th year completed higher nitec 2200
6th year change job 3k
7th year change job 4k
8th year change job 3.7k
(due to SG dept close down need move oversea)
11th year current completed diploma 4k.
(No increasement due to covid situation)

4k for diploma damn good already bro, nice achievement. now most uni fresh grad also wont even hit 4k. generally start around 3.3k.

Unregistered 25-10-2021 05:11 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Unregistered (Post 187833)
4k for diploma damn good already bro, nice achievement. now most uni fresh grad also wont even hit 4k. generally start around 3.3k.

But he already have 11 year exp bro.. so $4k does look reasonable for 11 years exp with Diploma.

Jasper 25-10-2021 08:35 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Unregistered (Post 187833)

Hmm.. But I work 11year In that industry.
Not fresh grad.
Thanks for the encouragement ����
Haha.

Jasper 25-10-2021 08:41 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Unregistered (Post 187858)
But he already have 11 year exp bro.. so $4k does look reasonable for 11 years exp with Diploma.

Ya lo. 11 years now.
But got stuck due to covid after get diploma.
If got a 200, 300 increasement I happy already. 😂😂

Unregistered 25-10-2021 05:26 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Jasper (Post 187865)
Hmm.. But I work 11year In that industry.
Not fresh grad.
Thanks for the encouragement ����
Haha.

I started off with only 2.1K in a GLC after ORD and stayed for 2 years. Performed well and was promoted to another grade within the asst engineer level while another colleague who got a degree moved up to E5. He's a nice guy and we are still good friends even until today. He advised that the reason why he was promoted faster even he wasn't doing much work and acknowledged my stronger competence was because he has a degree regardless of its relevance. I was almost going to take a degree when someone from an MNC contacted me and asked me if I was interested in an Engineer's position. Went for 3 rounds of interview and got in. Fast forward, 12 years down the road, I changed employer once, I draw more than 6K basic excluding bonus as a staff engineer. Don't have a degree but I took several professional certificates along the way like six sigma green belt, ASQ and several ISO certification, spear headed the set up of a department of the same function in India and Poland. These 2 dept located overseas report to me now.

I can only say, you need opportunities and be ready to grab them. I survived 2 retrenchments (Lehmans and Covid) by making myself more competitive and less dispensable and build your connections with the right people. Take initiative because the world won't cater to your competence. Must deliver results and know how to present your results to the right people to gain exposure. The competition globally is very tough so result delivery is critical.

I wish you the best.

Jasper 28-10-2021 07:51 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Unregistered (Post 187944)
I started off with only 2.1K in a GLC after ORD and stayed for 2 years. Performed well and was promoted to another grade within the asst engineer level while another colleague who got a degree moved up to E5. He's a nice guy and we are still good friends even until today. He advised that the reason why he was promoted faster even he wasn't doing much work and acknowledged my stronger competence was because he has a degree regardless of its relevance. I was almost going to take a degree when someone from an MNC contacted me and asked me if I was interested in an Engineer's position. Went for 3 rounds of interview and got in. Fast forward, 12 years down the road, I changed employer once, I draw more than 6K basic excluding bonus as a staff engineer. Don't have a degree but I took several professional certificates along the way like six sigma green belt, ASQ and several ISO certification, spear headed the set up of a department of the same function in India and Poland. These 2 dept located overseas report to me now.

I can only say, you need opportunities and be ready to grab them. I survived 2 retrenchments (Lehmans and Covid) by making myself more competitive and less dispensable and build your connections with the right people. Take initiative because the world won't cater to your competence. Must deliver results and know how to present your results to the right people to gain exposure. The competition globally is very tough so result delivery is critical.

I wish you the best.

Thanks for the encouragement bro.
11 years ago. My starting 1450 only. 😅😅
I understand. Although we not degree holder. But we don't stop there. Will still strive as much as we can.
All the best to u too!! 😁😁

Unregistered 28-10-2021 10:00 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Unregistered (Post 187944)

I wish you the best.

Stopped reading at 6K after 12 years

Unregistered 28-10-2021 10:20 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Jasper (Post 188249)
Thanks for the encouragement bro.
11 years ago. My starting 1450 only. 😅😅
I understand. Although we not degree holder. But we don't stop there. Will still strive as much as we can.
All the best to u too!! 😁😁

The problem is not with the degree. My teammate has a Masters and another has a Phd. We are all the same level due to the same amount of experience, saw their pay accidentally and found my pay higher than the phd holder but lower than the masters. My boss only has a bachelor but he has designs that helped us get patents before. Focus on value creation, some think you are already there with a degree. But it doesn't work that way.

Unregistered 28-10-2021 10:22 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Unregistered (Post 188258)
Stopped reading at 6K after 12 years

Did you check the official wage statistics before making that comment? :D

Unregistered 28-10-2021 12:32 PM

principal electrical engineer @ sg microsoft can earn how much salary??

Unregistered 28-10-2021 01:06 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Unregistered (Post 188277)
principal electrical engineer @ sg microsoft can earn how much salary??

Median wage 81K/year
Top 22% income bracket of tax paying residents in singapore.
Assuming 1 month bonus means 81k/13 about 6.2k per month

Unregistered 28-10-2021 11:14 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Unregistered (Post 188261)
Did you check the official wage statistics before making that comment? :D

Hitting slightly higher than the average income after 12 years is nothing to shout about lmao

I'm already at 6K after 2 YOE and it's pathetic, cannot even buy lowest end car or condo without overstretching.

Unregistered 29-10-2021 12:43 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Unregistered (Post 188359)
Hitting slightly higher than the average income after 12 years is nothing to shout about lmao

I'm already at 6K after 2 YOE and it's pathetic, cannot even buy lowest end car or condo without overstretching.

Working with 13 yr exp, NTU degree, only 94k/annum....I think I consider a loser

Unregistered 29-10-2021 08:41 AM

Quote:

I think that person is asking those who big cannon to do so with moderation. At least sound realistic lah. With reliable official statistics 'googleable', yet so many still don't have the idea to check it first before commenting. I have been working for 2 years only and I thought I was so poor but checking the stats someone linked to I saw I'm close to median already. So really true, too many big cannons here. Ask for pay level should always check official numbers not read forum.

Unregistered 29-10-2021 12:56 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Unregistered (Post 188379)
I think that person is asking those who big cannon to do so with moderation. At least sound realistic lah. With reliable official statistics 'googleable', yet so many still don't have the idea to check it first before commenting. I have been working for 2 years only and I thought I was so poor but checking the stats someone linked to I saw I'm close to median already. So really true, too many big cannons here. Ask for pay level should always check official numbers not read forum.

I agree, here comment all big cannons, like me also small fry.. that y salary less then $5k... Haha.. bit ok la, not so bad

Unregistered 03-11-2021 08:40 AM

Ya digital tech and design automation with same c+s low pay who want to do. Might as well jump to tech industry earn 2-3x!

Quote:

Originally Posted by Unregistered (Post 184003)
Y1-Y4: Researcher Student= 2-4k overseas
Y5: $5k
Y6: $6k [snr engineer]
Y7: $6.5k
Y8: $7.5k
Y9: $9.5k +share option [promotion] - Associate Director
Y10: $10k+share option
Y11: $10.5k+share option
Y12: $12k+share option [promotion]
Y13: $13.5k+share option
Y14: $16.5k+share option [promotion]

A C+S engineering can be a rewarding career financially but I really have a lot of career luck and angels. Share option / company ownership is a key part of the remuneration for me. It is true about long hours, challenging tasks, high risk, stressful (when things don't work).

Unfortunately, engineering in SG is getting really bad rep with some SME paying poorly and exploiting foreign engineering talents. It is pretty depressing to read some of you are struggling with $3-5k for years with bad bosses and experience. Thought i will share my journey to add a positive data point.

The industry is changing though. There is a significant move towards digital technology and design automation - especially in the MNC and SG orgs. I have a lot of joy and pride being able to point to various buildings and tell my children that I am the designer.

Unregistered 30-11-2021 10:04 PM

Hey guys,

Does any know those big C&S consultant firms, which one offers higher salary and better career progression? Such as Surbana Jurong, Aecom, T. Y. Lin, KTP, CPG, Merinhardt, WSP, KCL, Mott Mcdonald and etc.

I'm a design engineer from SME looking to join a bigger consulting firm. 2 years experience in main con + 3 years experience in consulting firm. How much should I expect for those big firm?

Thanks.

Unregistered 01-12-2021 09:44 AM

Quote:

2 YOE @ 6k definitely cannot let your buy car or condo la! the issue is not about 6k pay, is your cash savings and CPF not enough because you only have 2 YOE. today with 2 YOE give your 10k also may not let you buy a condo. 6k is enough to let you own a condo unit provided you have worked and saved enough to pay the 25%. because I owned my 1st 2 bedder with a 6k monthly salary

Unregistered 01-12-2021 11:25 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Unregistered (Post 192086)
2 YOE @ 6k definitely cannot let your buy car or condo la! the issue is not about 6k pay, is your cash savings and CPF not enough because you only have 2 YOE. today with 2 YOE give your 10k also may not let you buy a condo. 6k is enough to let you own a condo unit provided you have worked and saved enough to pay the 25%. because I owned my 1st 2 bedder with a 6k monthly salary

whao. actualy your saving is impt

Unregistered 01-12-2021 11:29 AM

Just jumped ship a few months ago to JnJ senior QA engineer. Getting 100k pa

Unregistered 01-12-2021 12:10 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Unregistered (Post 192099)
whao. actualy your saving is impt

yes, initially i am able to get my unit at roughly the 8th-year mark, however, because I went to spend some $$ to get a post-grad, so i got my unit at the 10th-year mark. starting pay wasn't high so i took a few years to save and also build my cpf funds.

Unregistered 01-12-2021 01:15 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Unregistered (Post 192100)
Just jumped ship a few months ago to JnJ senior QA engineer. Getting 100k pa

Wa big cannon. How many YOE?

Unregistered 02-12-2021 12:15 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Unregistered (Post 192103)
yes, initially i am able to get my unit at roughly the 8th-year mark, however, because I went to spend some $$ to get a post-grad, so i got my unit at the 10th-year mark. starting pay wasn't high so i took a few years to save and also build my cpf funds.

I am the guy with the 6K basic pay. If need to wait until 8 - 10 years might as well buy HDB resale since already (or near) 35 years old. I mentioned condo because not eligible for single HDB in my 20s.

Unregistered 02-12-2021 01:49 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Unregistered (Post 192217)
I am the guy with the 6K basic pay. If need to wait until 8 - 10 years might as well buy HDB resale since already (or near) 35 years old. I mentioned condo because not eligible for single HDB in my 20s.

Initially that's what i thought, but then, you will find a resale is never worth it at the end. A resale condo still better. I took this long because i paid for all my school fees for myself. And i didnt get a 6k at my 2 YOE mark. Imo, i feel you dont need 8 years. My friend got it at around 6th year after she graduated and working. You need to have a saving plan. It will surely work out with 6k basic pay.

Unregistered 02-12-2021 02:16 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Unregistered (Post 192217)

OP here, also, resale hdb is cheaper only based on estates and to renovate a whole unit will likely cost you a bomb. You can googled on qanvast to take a look. I would suggest you research on which area you potentially wants to move, look at both resale condo and new launch prices and decide on your budget (e.g. 900k) and how big you want your condo to be. With your budget, calculate how much is the 25% (5% must be cash) + BSD + lawyer fee you need to fork out. Draw out a monthly saving plan (must really set your mind to save). You will then be able to do some math to decide based on your saving plans + cumulative CPF contributions, roughly at which year you can save that 25% + BSD. Definitely, if u want to get it faster, you have to save more.

Nearer to that x year, starting looking out at the market to see if there is any new launch that is worth buying. New launch will be cheaper and sure save alot of your reno fee just that u have to wait till it's completion. Who knows maybe you lucky able to spot something you like and is less than your budget hence your savings on hand for sure is enough.

Another is to look at resale condo that TOP 1- 2 years back, the condition likely is still good and also can save your reno fee.

Unregistered 11-12-2021 12:17 AM

Sharing basic salary (excluding bonus) progression as local degree holder in engineering

Y1 = 3.0k
Y2 = 3.1k
Y3 = 3.3k
Y4 = 4.3k
Y5 = 4.6k
Y6 = 5.0k

Unregistered 11-12-2021 12:21 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Unregistered (Post 193315)
Sharing basic salary (excluding bonus) progression as local degree holder in engineering

Y1 = 3.0k
Y2 = 3.1k
Y3 = 3.3k
Y4 = 4.3k
Y5 = 4.6k
Y6 = 5.0k

looks like from 15 years go

Unregistered 29-12-2021 01:44 PM

Doing sales at a Swiss MNC, 30 yrs old base pay 5.2k w/ AWS with 500 transport allowance 500 petrol allowance. Is this considered ok ?

Another company offering $5.8k w/o AWS , $1k transport allowance. Overall package almost no difference, but prospect slightly better.

Unregistered 29-12-2021 06:21 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Unregistered (Post 195586)
Doing sales at a Swiss MNC, 30 yrs old base pay 5.2k w/ AWS with 500 transport allowance 500 petrol allowance. Is this considered ok ?

Another company offering $5.8k w/o AWS , $1k transport allowance. Overall package almost no difference, but prospect slightly better.

go for commission based sales if u want to earn big

Unregistered 29-12-2021 10:06 PM

Advice pls and thanks

Hi
Currently I am shift process technician in O&G consider major? (300-400 staff) company , yearly about 8xk due to shift allowance bonus and ot , ot no consider much mainly is bonus , but after I done turnaround of plant I realise that this job I might not be cope when I get ageing , ot pay money is good but physical Xiong currently exp about 4 years (senior role)

So I decide to take part time nus BTech mechanical engineering , enrol next year

Kindly advise me , is it my technician exp able to help me secure a job or act as plus point for salary nego in maybe oil major or Pharma? I prefer do technical role also , but after read so many comment I think salary engineer in Sg really a bit pathetic so Is it reasonable expect 100k PA able to achieve in 3-5 year after graduate ?

Thanks for answer !

Unregistered 30-12-2021 01:47 AM

y1: 5.6
y2: 7.2
y3: 8.5

Unregistered 30-12-2021 01:31 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Unregistered (Post 195763)
y1: 5.6
y2: 7.2
y3: 8.5

Simi engineer job, every jump 20-30%