Engineer Pay - Page 54 - Salary.sg Forums
Salary.sg Forums  

Go Back   Salary.sg Forums > The Salary.sg Discussion Forums: > Income and Jobs

Income and Jobs Discuss jobs, career options and of course salaries




Engineer Pay

Reply
 
Thread Tools
  #531 (permalink)  
Old 05-02-2023, 12:58 PM
Unregistered
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by LeoV218 View Post
Hi yes i understand that Degree is the only option for higher salary, but honestly i m a lazy person, i am looking for easy and relax alternative to achieve my goal. Degree really very hard, i see my friends doing part time NTU and work, a 4 yrs programme if i am not wrong, wah lau i see their assignments i also sian ahhh. So i am thinking about just doing a Advanced Diploma programme and 骗吃 at least can earn above 4K then i am contented already 😄
Ok I understand your point. You're also in your 40s right? early 40s? or late 40s?

If you plan to work for the next 15+ years right? It's really more worth it to get a degree because your pay will scale higher with more experience.

With diploma / advanced diploma, it's capped so no matter how hard you work, it's still capped. That's how Singapore is anyway unless you join some American MNC or EU Company.

Reply With Quote
  #532 (permalink)  
Old 06-02-2023, 10:06 AM
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2023
Posts: 6
LeoV218 is on a distinguished road
Default

Early 40s. I see so Advanced Diploma is not worthy of my time n money lah. To study degree not easy, i see all those complicated calculus i really want to vomit blood ahhh. Grad from Poly till now so many years back all my engineering maths knowledge i already return back to my lecturer liao haha.

Reply With Quote
  #533 (permalink)  
Old 06-02-2023, 05:26 PM
Unregistered
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by LeoV218 View Post
Early 40s. I see so Advanced Diploma is not worthy of my time n money lah. To study degree not easy, i see all those complicated calculus i really want to vomit blood ahhh. Grad from Poly till now so many years back all my engineering maths knowledge i already return back to my lecturer liao haha.
It's ok bro, just do what you feel is good for you slowly at your own pace Use job hopping to up your pay. For engineers, I think experience matters much more. Your pay can get large jumps when you hop between MNCs.

Reply With Quote
  #534 (permalink)  
Old 06-02-2023, 08:12 PM
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2023
Posts: 6
LeoV218 is on a distinguished road
Default

Oh i see. Yah i know job hopping is one of the best alternative to up my pay, but i only hop between SME companies. Honestly i haven't ever tried MNC companies yet haha. Perhaps is time for me to shift in this year of rabbit ������
Reply With Quote
  #535 (permalink)  
Old 06-02-2023, 08:53 PM
Unregistered
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by LeoV218 View Post
Oh i see. Yah i know job hopping is one of the best alternative to up my pay, but i only hop between SME companies. Honestly i haven't ever tried MNC companies yet haha. Perhaps is time for me to shift in this year of rabbit ������
Haha it's ok, don't need to rush too. All the best!!
Reply With Quote
  #536 (permalink)  
Old 06-02-2023, 09:37 PM
Verified Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2021
Posts: 29
LeGozt is on a distinguished road
Default

Small update to my current situation as I have just changed jobs! Thought that my experience might be helpful to some.

A key question that I was asking at that time when I was considering changing jobs was whether taking up a contract role would diminish my negotioating power when moving on from that role, as it is known in the industry that contract roles pay slightly more in exchange for less job stability. I thought that when changing from company A contract to company B perm, I would at best get the same package as company A.

Happy to say that this was not the case. My new package after changing companies in a perm role S$124,500 as compared to my previous at S$103,600, which is approximately a 20% bump. Company medical and dental benefits is even more generous than before, which was surprising as I was previously in a large pharmaceutical company.

My job scope is still quality related, in an individual contributor role.

In summary,


1st year: part time role in a startup, S$1,000/mth working 50%
2nd year: converted to contract role in same startup, S$3,200/mth
3rd year: promotion, contract S$3,650/mth
4th year: moved to MNC, perm S$4,400/mth
5th year: no change, S$4,400/mth
6th year: moved to another MNC, S$6,750/mth contract role
7th year: 10% increment to S$7,450, still contract role
8th year: moved to different industry (F&B), S$9,400 perm role

Granted every situation is different but this might be a useful datapoint for those who might find themselves in a similar situation.

Last edited by LeGozt; 06-02-2023 at 09:41 PM.
Reply With Quote

  #537 (permalink)  
Old 07-02-2023, 01:49 PM
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2023
Posts: 6
LeoV218 is on a distinguished road
Default

Hi just curious to know. If i m a Degree holder. Join a MNC company. Work performance normal normal average average only. Manager assign me some tasks, i slowly do, but still can complete d tasks s given. Will i still be able to get my pay increment consistently every year??
Reply With Quote
  #538 (permalink)  
Old 07-02-2023, 05:04 PM
Unregistered
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by LeoV218 View Post
Hi just curious to know. If i m a Degree holder. Join a MNC company. Work performance normal normal average average only. Manager assign me some tasks, i slowly do, but still can complete d tasks s given. Will i still be able to get my pay increment consistently every year??
Without promotion expect the % ranging from 3-7% from my past experience with 3 MNCs. Unless layoff happens, hiring and increment freeze.

Best performers will get some more % but not very significant. The major difference btw performers and normal normal performers are in bonus either cash or stock and how fast they get promoted.
Reply With Quote
  #539 (permalink)  
Old 07-02-2023, 09:08 PM
Unregistered
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by LeGozt View Post
Small update to my current situation as I have just changed jobs! Thought that my experience might be helpful to some.

A key question that I was asking at that time when I was considering changing jobs was whether taking up a contract role would diminish my negotioating power when moving on from that role, as it is known in the industry that contract roles pay slightly more in exchange for less job stability. I thought that when changing from company A contract to company B perm, I would at best get the same package as company A.

Happy to say that this was not the case. My new package after changing companies in a perm role S$124,500 as compared to my previous at S$103,600, which is approximately a 20% bump. Company medical and dental benefits is even more generous than before, which was surprising as I was previously in a large pharmaceutical company.

My job scope is still quality related, in an individual contributor role.

In summary,


1st year: part time role in a startup, S$1,000/mth working 50%
2nd year: converted to contract role in same startup, S$3,200/mth
3rd year: promotion, contract S$3,650/mth
4th year: moved to MNC, perm S$4,400/mth
5th year: no change, S$4,400/mth
6th year: moved to another MNC, S$6,750/mth contract role
7th year: 10% increment to S$7,450, still contract role
8th year: moved to different industry (F&B), S$9,400 perm role

Granted every situation is different but this might be a useful datapoint for those who might find themselves in a similar situation.
which engineering sector are you working in
Reply With Quote
  #540 (permalink)  
Old 07-02-2023, 09:17 PM
Unregistered
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by LeGozt View Post
Small update to my current situation as I have just changed jobs! Thought that my experience might be helpful to some.

A key question that I was asking at that time when I was considering changing jobs was whether taking up a contract role would diminish my negotioating power when moving on from that role, as it is known in the industry that contract roles pay slightly more in exchange for less job stability. I thought that when changing from company A contract to company B perm, I would at best get the same package as company A.

Happy to say that this was not the case. My new package after changing companies in a perm role S$124,500 as compared to my previous at S$103,600, which is approximately a 20% bump. Company medical and dental benefits is even more generous than before, which was surprising as I was previously in a large pharmaceutical company.

My job scope is still quality related, in an individual contributor role.

In summary,


1st year: part time role in a startup, S$1,000/mth working 50%
2nd year: converted to contract role in same startup, S$3,200/mth
3rd year: promotion, contract S$3,650/mth
4th year: moved to MNC, perm S$4,400/mth
5th year: no change, S$4,400/mth
6th year: moved to another MNC, S$6,750/mth contract role
7th year: 10% increment to S$7,450, still contract role
8th year: moved to different industry (F&B), S$9,400 perm role

Granted every situation is different but this might be a useful datapoint for those who might find themselves in a similar situation.
Doesnt seems to be from electrical/mechanical engineering. software engineering?
Reply With Quote
Reply

Bookmarks

« Previous Thread | Next Thread »
Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are Off


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Engineer in PUB telaviv10 Income and Jobs 54 07-04-2024 01:04 PM
Engineer in SMRT allstar Income and Jobs 3 13-02-2014 07:40 PM
Graduate Engineer kahchonggoh Income and Jobs 9 08-02-2013 09:01 PM
Sales engineer Or shipyard engineer? godfred Education and Personal Growth 4 05-11-2012 12:16 PM
Engineer graduating soon starchild Income and Jobs 14 02-09-2011 02:36 PM

» 30 Recent Threads
Lawyer Salary ( 1 2 3... Last Page)
21,270 Replies, 10,640,341 Views
How is life as a doctor in... ( 1 2 3... Last Page)
7,477 Replies, 3,544,230 Views
Q: Big4 - Yearly salary increment ( 1 2 3... Last Page)
17,023 Replies, 5,279,090 Views
Ex-MOE Teachers ( 1 2 3... Last Page)
429 Replies, 515,355 Views
HTX (Home Team Science and... ( 1 2 3... Last Page)
891 Replies, 422,309 Views
Compare civil service salary ( 1 2 3... Last Page)
16,477 Replies, 12,751,268 Views
Roles in accenture singapore ( 1 2 3... Last Page)
7,829 Replies, 2,470,396 Views
DBS tech seed programme ( 1 2 3... Last Page)
3,862 Replies, 1,548,016 Views
Factual Local Bank Salaries - DBS... ( 1 2 3... Last Page)
1,885 Replies, 1,497,112 Views
GovTech ( 1 2 3... Last Page)
6,489 Replies, 2,480,055 Views
MINDEF DXO (All FAQ on it) ( 1 2 3... Last Page)
5,983 Replies, 4,813,362 Views
IMDA (under MCI) ( 1 2 3... Last Page)
1,314 Replies, 670,181 Views
MAS for Mid Career Professionals ( 1 2 3... Last Page)
2,179 Replies, 1,124,987 Views
Changi Airport Group ( 1 2 3... Last Page)
473 Replies, 640,970 Views
DSTA (under Mindef) ( 1 2 3... Last Page)
1,600 Replies, 1,437,921 Views
CAD (Commercial Affairs Department) ( 1 2 3... Last Page)
231 Replies, 261,943 Views
Career as Teacher ( 1 2 3... Last Page)
11,419 Replies, 6,996,287 Views
NCS (SingTel subsidiary) ( 1 2 3... Last Page)
1,372 Replies, 1,193,660 Views
Hospital (Private or Public)... ( 1 2 3... Last Page)
773 Replies, 450,624 Views
CIMB Apprentice 2024
4 Replies, 193 Views
Civil Servant Bonus Mid-2023 ( 1 2 3... Last Page)
162 Replies, 163,589 Views
Enterprise Singapore hiriing... ( 1 2 3... Last Page)
183 Replies, 235,657 Views
LTA (Land Transport Authority) ( 1 2 3... Last Page)
834 Replies, 442,655 Views
Civil Service Current Estimated... ( 1 2 3... Last Page)
189 Replies, 322,930 Views
CSA (Cyber Security Agency) ( 1 2 3... Last Page)
939 Replies, 547,470 Views
Civil Svc/ Statboard - Typical... ( 1 2 3... Last Page)
6,230 Replies, 3,887,513 Views
Dillema: University of Melbourne... ( 1 2 3... Last Page)
65 Replies, 67,287 Views
ST Electronics ( 1 2 3... Last Page)
3,866 Replies, 1,618,802 Views
Work in SMU ( 1 2 3)
23 Replies, 7,053 Views
Anyone from Ministry of Social and... ( 1 2)
15 Replies, 19,070 Views
Powered by vBadvanced CMPS v3.2.2



All times are GMT +8. The time now is 02:21 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.5
Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Content Relevant URLs by vBSEO 3.3.2