Salary.sg Forums

Salary.sg Forums (https://forums.salary.sg/)
-   Income and Jobs (https://forums.salary.sg/income-jobs/)
-   -   What can a fresh phd in public policy do in SG? is research fellow easy to get? (https://forums.salary.sg/income-jobs/10481-what-can-fresh-phd-public-policy-do-sg-research-fellow-easy-get.html)

jjason 08-06-2018 10:45 PM

What can a fresh phd in public policy do in SG? is research fellow easy to get?

hey guys,

just wondering what the prospects are for fresh phd in public policy? are research fellows (5k) easy to get and do they last long term or are they short term?

its kind hopeless getting an TT asst prof job.

if the phd goes to work in the airport or smrt doing policy related work or asst mger type jobs, does he start at a higher scale due to phd?:confused:

Unregistered 09-06-2018 01:42 AM

Forget about it

Work.as.road sweeper, cleaner, all in demand...

Yawnnz

Lazycat 09-06-2018 10:33 PM

Woah a PhD - great perseverance! I can never have the patience to complete such a looong programme.

I think it's a lot more common to have PhDs nowadays, but most jobs don't require such a high qualification. That means you may not start at a 'higher scale' unless you already have work experience. It also mean getting a research fellowship will be competitive.

That said, your doctorate may be useful in the public sector. Have you consider working for the government? And what's your reasons for PhD studies?

jjason 09-06-2018 11:57 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Lazycat (Post 107827)
Woah a PhD - great perseverance! I can never have the patience to complete such a looong programme.

I think it's a lot more common to have PhDs nowadays, but most jobs don't require such a high qualification. That means you may not start at a 'higher scale' unless you already have work experience. It also mean getting a research fellowship will be competitive.

That said, your doctorate may be useful in the public sector. Have you consider working for the government? And what's your reasons for PhD studies?

if i go work in public sector/quasi public do i get to start a grade higher or higher salary? i am supposed a world class expert at my field (published 3 papers) cant be i start same level as fresh bachelors grad right?

reasons? love public policy, wanna make the world a better place, like writing, crazy, hate routine jobs?:confused::confused:

Unregistered 10-06-2018 03:58 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by jjason (Post 107829)
if i go work in public sector/quasi public do i get to start a grade higher or higher salary? i am supposed a world class expert at my field (published 3 papers) cant be i start same level as fresh bachelors grad right?

reasons? love public policy, wanna make the world a better place, like writing, crazy, hate routine jobs?:confused::confused:

Dude u world class expert plus published in damn high impact journal, now come and ask us the fake PhD (poly halfway dropout) abt job prospects a bit wrong?

Post doc all 4-5k.. public policy think tanks also. Essentially PhD or bachelor is just a piece of paper, don't hold your hopes too high.

jjason 10-06-2018 05:03 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Unregistered (Post 107844)
Dude u world class expert plus published in damn high impact journal, now come and ask us the fake PhD (poly halfway dropout) abt job prospects a bit wrong?

Post doc all 4-5k.. public policy think tanks also. Essentially PhD or bachelor is just a piece of paper, don't hold your hopes too high.

ur right post doc is 4-5k. research fellow is 5k ish.

just wondering if i go for govt/semi govt jobs will i get paid 4-5k as well (one grade above fresh grads)?

u guys have more industry experience than me.

i beg to differ its not just a peice of paper its knowledge. some bachelors can unlock fulfilling decent careers which is what i am trying to do here. a friend who graduate from hk last year joined a consulting firm doing public policy consulting and started at 8-10k, i lack her network though.

Unregistered 11-06-2018 01:46 PM

If you're not a scholar, pls don't waste your time getting a PhD. I have seen many forner colleages in the public sector who have a PhD but are not scholars becoming disillusioned with how low they're being paid even with the years of study exp. There is practically no difference between that and just getting a Bachelor's and using those years to build up relevant working experience instead. Unless you get having a kick out of having a Dr in front of your name or if you're really passionate about public service and policy, I would urge you to reconsider.

Unregistered 11-06-2018 05:34 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Unregistered (Post 107864)
If you're not a scholar, pls don't waste your time getting a PhD. I have seen many forner colleages in the public sector who have a PhD but are not scholars becoming disillusioned with how low they're being paid even with the years of study exp. There is practically no difference between that and just getting a Bachelor's and using those years to build up relevant working experience instead. Unless you get having a kick out of having a Dr in front of your name or if you're really passionate about public service and policy, I would urge you to reconsider.

the painful truth...

jjason 12-06-2018 01:25 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Unregistered (Post 107864)

i guess this depends on ur major, a phd in english or philosophy will not transfer over to industry well. however, that is not the case for applied phds such as public policy, business, psychology.

ur definition of 'scholar' is based on ur flawed understanding of it as a bachelors holder or diploma holder. at the phd level, most ppl dont care about ur grades, we dont care if u can memorise formulas (which we can google in 5 mins), we are interested in creativity, original content, furthering human knowledge.

actually i realised post docs already make 5k+ not 4.5. a phd in public policy open doors to research, teaching, consulting, and to some extent senior positions in policy agencies worldwide which to me is what i wanna do with my life.

its not for everyone, going into the cubicle daily and maxing out at 7-8k and retiring at 60+ is the default route which u are taking. i made a choice not to take that path 3-4 years ago.

duhduhduh 12-06-2018 10:15 PM

I think like you mentioned, it is all based on your network. And you amass it it from your undergraduate to postgraduate levels by networking with our Professors, and also colleagues and hopefully someone can intro you a good job.

TBH, there are plenty of PHDs in PP out there, it is not as if that just because it is your interest - it means you can get it.

Let's narro the focus back to landing a job in SG with your major in PP. Will local g hire you? The answer is likely a no since you are not a scholar. Then will private consulting sector hire you? Maybe, but why don't they hire a ex-scholar who had plenty of experience in civil service?

So no matter what, you are a bit too late for this.

But that, it is hard to say for overseas though.