Salary.sg Forums

Salary.sg Forums (https://forums.salary.sg/)
-   Income and Jobs (https://forums.salary.sg/income-jobs/)
-   -   Low salary for scholarship (https://forums.salary.sg/income-jobs/10460-low-salary-scholarship.html)

CSBoi 03-06-2018 12:40 AM

Low salary for scholarship

I am from NTU computer science and having a gpa of 4.99 fch, also i am bonded to a SME company for 2 years which i will be starting next year Jan.
I was given a lump sum of 30,000 for the mid term scholarship last year. But i have heard from the hr that the salary is very low even for scholar in the company, around 3500.

I would like to have some advice. Should i try to find other company or stick to this?
Assumming interest componeded is 10% pa. The current role that i am bonded is software engineer. I am open to data engineer/anaytic jobs as well.

Unregistered 04-06-2018 05:25 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by CSBoi (Post 107606)
I am from NTU computer science and having a gpa of 4.99 fch, also i am bonded to a SME company for 2 years which i will be starting next year Jan.
I was given a lump sum of 30,000 for the mid term scholarship last year. But i have heard from the hr that the salary is very low even for scholar in the company, around 3500.

I would like to have some advice. Should i try to find other company or stick to this?
Assumming interest componeded is 10% pa. The current role that i am bonded is software engineer. I am open to data engineer/anaytic jobs as well.

It is only 2 years, so i suggest you stick with it. And plan for your future exit.

Unregistered 05-06-2018 10:17 AM

That's a waste for just a mere 30k
Tech coys and startups are paying 6k+ for developers, not to mention the benefits, bonus stock options, but if you think this sme got potential can also go for it.

CSBoi 06-06-2018 03:21 PM

If i were to work 2 years in the SME, after that I apply for DSO/DSTA using my 2 years work experiences.
Will they pay me at least the pay of a fresh grad with first class honors? Or will they only look at my work experience that i have and my previous starting pay?

And what if I apply for another roles after 2 years, that is not related to my work experience? (In DSO/DSTA as data analytics engineer)
Is my first class honors useless after 2 years? (I studied really hard and felt abit not utilized)

Unregistered 06-06-2018 04:06 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by CSBoi (Post 107701)
If i were to work 2 years in the SME, after that I apply for DSO/DSTA using my 2 years work experiences.
Will they pay me at least the pay of a fresh grad with first class honors? Or will they only look at my work experience that i have and my previous starting pay?

And what if I apply for another roles after 2 years, that is not related to my work experience? (In DSO/DSTA as data analytics engineer)
Is my first class honors useless after 2 years? (I studied really hard and felt abit not utilized)

i believe so, so you get 4k starting for govt position just base on your first class. For pte company, ur initial pay is always a problem.

but u seem like a not very driven/ambitious kind. i would suggest break bond, go for start up. but to each his own.

CSBoi 06-06-2018 04:26 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Unregistered (Post 107702)
i believe so, so you get 4k starting for govt position just base on your first class. For pte company, ur initial pay is always a problem.

but u seem like a not very driven/ambitious kind. i would suggest break bond, go for start up. but to each his own.

Mmmmhmmm.

I wanted to break the bond and join DSO/DSTA with starting pay of 4.8k-5k for FCH, however the difference in the 2 years will not make much of a difference with the 3.5k base pay and 30k. Thus, my career coach and parents are convincing me not to break the bond and just work for the 2 years.

Yes, I may not be very ambitious. I prefer career stability, thus I am thinking of breaking bond and join DSO/DSTA or other good paying govt company for engineer (if i could get in).

Unregistered 06-06-2018 09:18 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by CSBoi (Post 107703)
Mmmmhmmm.

I wanted to break the bond and join DSO/DSTA with starting pay of 4.8k-5k for FCH, however the difference in the 2 years will not make much of a difference with the 3.5k base pay and 30k. Thus, my career coach and parents are convincing me not to break the bond and just work for the 2 years.

Yes, I may not be very ambitious. I prefer career stability, thus I am thinking of breaking bond and join DSO/DSTA or other good paying govt company for engineer (if i could get in).

I was in a similar situation few years back. I chose to break the bond and joined a stat board. Looking back, I never regretted that decision. Am happy to be a project manager now with a 120k yearly package and work life balance. Good luck bro!

CSBoi 07-06-2018 09:23 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Unregistered (Post 107713)
I was in a similar situation few years back. I chose to break the bond and joined a stat board. Looking back, I never regretted that decision. Am happy to be a project manager now with a 120k yearly package and work life balance. Good luck bro!

However in my case, the bond was provided by governement to boost SME, thus i am afraid that breaking the govt sponsored bond would affect my future employment in any governemnt linked company or public sector.

Unregistered 09-06-2018 03:17 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by CSBoi (Post 107724)
However in my case, the bond was provided by governement to boost SME, thus i am afraid that breaking the govt sponsored bond would affect my future employment in any governemnt linked company or public sector.

Then join private sector/tech startups. They are paying very good amount for CS grads.

CSBoi 09-06-2018 11:46 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Unregistered (Post 107795)
Then join private sector/tech startups. They are paying very good amount for CS grads.

I am look at long term.
I don't want to miss any opportunities in the public sector due to my broken bond in the future.