Salary.sg Forums  

Go Back   Salary.sg Forums > The Salary.sg Discussion Forums: > Income and Jobs

Income and Jobs Discuss jobs, career options and of course salaries

Project Manager in Construction Company

Old 06-10-2014, 03:03 PM
Humble bee

Smile PM pay

Hi,

There are 2 areas construction now; building and civil engineering.
Clients from building usually are not as selective as civil side.
As you know civil side projects are usually government😁. And the criteria are much higher, such as the Qualification of the PM , engineers need to be PE board recognized.
(If ur degree is from local spore, then u r safe).

So talking about pay and bonus. You should be looking at 8k plus 3-5 months bonus for a junior PM means (10 experience since graduation). And ranged to 15k plus 3-6 months of bonus for a more senior PM..

And seriously speaking if u go for around and ask how many local grad are there in the civil industry, I can only tell you.. It's really pathetic...coz most of them left this industry after several years of working in construction.

And what I can tell u is that I will see a whole change in terms of pay package by the SME contractors. Why? They will slow down hiring foreigners and really spend time to look for local grads and also to improve their image and pay package in order to attract local talents. This is due to the 20 years plan of the Singapore planning. Hence more government projects in the next 2 decades. And like what I say the criteria becomes very strict in the sense, they only accept people who are PE board qualified.... Hope that makes you understand more in this industry.

Old 06-10-2014, 03:08 PM
Unregistered

Default PM pay

What degree do u hold?

Old 06-10-2014, 03:09 PM
Unregistered

Quote:
Originally Posted by Unregistered View Post
Which UK university? Is it distance learning or did u really fly to UK to take the course?
Which degree u holding?

Old 06-10-2014, 03:11 PM
Unregistered

Quote:
Originally Posted by dNs View Post
Hi All..
I was offered a salary of $3300/monthly as a junior project manager. The core business of the company is cost& contract management, and management consultancy. Is this a proper amount for a project manager in Singapore?

I have Architecture background and worked for 2.5yrs as a designer in Architects firm. I just graduated and obtain my Master of Science degree in Construction Project Management from UK's university, however i don't have any proven experience in pm job.
I have Singapore PR, Does it make any difference to salary consideration?
Please advice.
Hi DS,

There are 2 areas in construction now; building and civil engineering.
As you know civil side projects are usually government😁. And the criteria are much higher, such as the Qualification of the PM , engineers need to be PE board recognized.

So talking about pay and bonus. You should be looking at 8k plus 3-5 months bonus for a junior PM means (10 experience since graduation). And ranged to 15k plus 3-6 months of bonus for a more senior PM..

And seriously speaking if u go for around and ask how many local grad are there in the civil industry, I can only tell you.. It's really pathetic...coz most of them left this industry after several years of working in construction.

And what I can tell u is that I will see a whole change in terms of pay package by the SME contractors. Why? They will slow down hiring foreigners and really spend time to look for local grads and also to improve their image and pay package in order to attract local talents. This is due to the 20 years plan of the Singapore planning. Hence more government projects in the next 2 decades. And like what I say the criteria becomes very strict in the sense, they only accept people who are PE board qualified.... Hope that makes you understand more in this industry.
Old 07-10-2014, 09:50 AM
slpinir

Quote:
Originally Posted by Unregistered View Post
Hi DS,

There are 2 areas in construction now; building and civil engineering.
As you know civil side projects are usually government��. And the criteria are much higher, such as the Qualification of the PM , engineers need to be PE board recognized.

While my brief experience in the construction industry corroborates your account in terms of pay and bonus for a project manager, there is a a very important context quite unique in the construction industry that is missing in above which can lead readers who are new to the industry to misunderstand.

Construction industry is one of those rare sectors that don't really care about career image and thus up to now hardly suffer any title inflation at all. While a project manager can indeed make 120k - 200k, this kind of "manager" is definitely not the same as other inflated titles you see in other industries.

In the construction sector, most of the project managers accounting for sizable work are at least in their mid to late 40s. They are more equivalent to "Directors" or "VP" in other companies, freshie or junior civil engineers should not join this industry thinking they are going to make 100k+ by being a project manager within a short time.

In most construction companies, being a manager is really a senior position requiring lots of experience and competency. Being a director usually means you are part of the executive leadership team entitled to profit sharing. This is very different from most companies whereby any grad that doesn't screw up is automatically promoted to a fake manager title in 4-5 years.