Salary.sg Forums

Salary.sg Forums (https://forums.salary.sg/)
-   Income and Jobs (https://forums.salary.sg/income-jobs/)
-   -   Being an Expat in China (https://forums.salary.sg/income-jobs/10287-being-expat-china.html)

goaswind 19-03-2018 10:53 PM

Being an Expat in China

Anyone has any experience or knowledge on how much an expat in china will cost?

I am recently approached by an local healthcare MNC to join one of their facility in China.

What is the likely salary increment i should be looking at? Is 25% to 30% reasonable? How about other perks of being an expat in china?

goaswind 24-03-2018 09:25 PM

Anyone can help?

Unregistered 24-03-2018 11:19 PM

With expat package you live like a king if you are not in the major cities.

Unregistered 25-03-2018 11:31 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by goaswind (Post 105944)
Anyone has any experience or knowledge on how much an expat in china will cost?

I am recently approached by an local healthcare MNC to join one of their facility in China.

What is the likely salary increment i should be looking at? Is 25% to 30% reasonable? How about other perks of being an expat in china?

First things first, are you there as on expat or local T&C? What level and current salary are you at now?

Most global MNCs expat total package including all the perks and allowances for whole family should be at least 2-3x what you are getting now.

If you need to "negotiate" for a 25% increase then you are not an expat, but a foreigner hired to work in China on local package. China itself has hundreds of cities and living standards will defer widely depending on location and the lifestyle level expected of your rank.

Most companies these days only grant full expat packages to middle managers & above (i.e. appx at least S$300k basic salary) or else those with very special skills not found in the foreign country. If you are not at that level, most likely they will just offer you normal basic + general allowance without expat perks.

goaswind 25-03-2018 03:19 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Unregistered (Post 106144)
First things first, are you there as on expat or local T&C? What level and current salary are you at now?

Most global MNCs expat total package including all the perks and allowances for whole family should be at least 2-3x what you are getting now.

If you need to "negotiate" for a 25% increase then you are not an expat, but a foreigner hired to work in China on local package. China itself has hundreds of cities and living standards will defer widely depending on location and the lifestyle level expected of your rank.

Most companies these days only grant full expat packages to middle managers & above (i.e. appx at least S$300k basic salary) or else those with very special skills not found in the foreign country. If you are not at that level, most likely they will just offer you normal basic + general allowance without expat perks.

Thanks for the response. My current salary are at Mid $6k pm (before cpf contribution by employer). I am gg to a mid size city (7mil population) in China.

I am thinking of asking for 25% to 35% more than what i am getting now (including employer contribution). Employer contribution is 17% and capped at $1020 (because cpf contribution only up to $6k base pay). Therefore, I thinking this should be my minimum expectation

1.25 to 1.35 times current salary + $1020 + 1 monthly flight back home + accommodation allowance.

Sounds reasonable?

Unregistered 25-03-2018 03:57 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by goaswind (Post 106148)
Thanks for the response. My current salary are at Mid $6k pm (before cpf contribution by employer). I am gg to a mid size city (7mil population) in China.

I am thinking of asking for 25% to 35% more than what i am getting now (including employer contribution). Employer contribution is 17% and capped at $1020 (because cpf contribution only up to $6k base pay). Therefore, I thinking this should be my minimum expectation

1.25 to 1.35 times current salary + $1020 + 1 monthly flight back home + accommodation allowance.

Sounds reasonable?

Oh 6k-ish sort of level definitely won't be on expat terms. I think the 25% upside + 1020 is possible, but monthly flight back home is way too high liao. Even for real expats flights are only 2x - 4x a year. You will be very lucky to even get 2x a year, most local foreign postings I know of only provide flights 0-2x a year.

Accommodation is up to you to ask, I would say 50:50 chance of getting depending on how much the company need you. For your level most of the time it's budgeted at very basic level of living, so you will need to pay a bit more on your own if you want a better living condition. But if you are single male then I recommend just stick with the budget they give you, most tier 2 cities basic apartments though not fantastic is livable if you are not too fussy type.

You can start with 25% upside for nego, but company might not match because Tier 2/3 cities are generally much cheaper than Sg in living standards, I know of some locals who went China smaller cities on same or slight drop in salary. Depends on how much they value you.

In short, Singaporeans working in China on local packages should be able to maintain or slightly lower living standards compared to here, but potential to save more over long term. Just go in with realistic expectations, no such thing as live like king if you are not at the level of expatriation.

goaswind 26-03-2018 10:01 PM

Thank you.

Anyone else can share some insights?

Unregistered 20-03-2019 08:46 PM

Working in China Tier 2/3 city

Hello,

I would like to ask on being hired to work in China.

Average salaries isit 30k to 40k rmb per month for manager position?

I feel salaries in China are slightly low. I checked through glassdoor especially.

I have a offer however the salary offered is more or less similar to what i can draw in Sg right now.
Of course the china package include accomodation, transport, utility, mobile allowances etc.

any comments?

NotFlirt 21-03-2019 08:59 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by goaswind (Post 106148)

Sounds reasonable?

Then you are not an expat already. U are just local employee station to China only. Out station employee and expat is huge difference. My friend was station to BKK with no pay increment .ofcos everything is covered there and provide daily mail allowance as well. But good thing is a guarantee promotion after he comes back after a year

Unregistered 21-03-2019 09:17 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Unregistered (Post 115206)
Hello,

I would like to ask on being hired to work in China.

Average salaries isit 30k to 40k rmb per month for manager position?

I feel salaries in China are slightly low. I checked through glassdoor especially.

I have a offer however the salary offered is more or less similar to what i can draw in Sg right now.
Of course the china package include accomodation, transport, utility, mobile allowances etc.

any comments?

Been wondering about the same thing too
If compensation/salary package is v similar to what we get in SG,
Is the exposure to overseas markets worth the uprooting?

How valuable is overseas secondment/work exp for job progression?