Relocating to Singapore with 7XXX/month ? - Salary.sg Forums
Salary.sg Forums  

Go Back   Salary.sg Forums > The Salary.sg Discussion Forums: > Income and Jobs

Income and Jobs Discuss jobs, career options and of course salaries

Relocating to Singapore with 7XXX/month ?

Old 15-03-2018, 12:39 AM

alexshr is on a distinguished road
Default Relocating to Singapore with 7XXX/month ?

Hi guys,

I have got offer from the company in Singapore. The company is offereing me S$ 7XXX monthly without any accomodation.

Currently, I am the only one working so I will have to take care for both of us.

Do you guys think this amount is enough for the family of two people?

Here are my initial findings:

1) Rent : HBD 2500 - 3000
2) Electricity - 220
3) Meal : 20 * 30 days = 600
4) internet : 75
6) telephone, phone bills : 12

So far looks like rent is the highest expense:

I also want to save some savings, but looking at the current expense it looks like I won't be able to save any

Can you guys please share your experiences and suggest me whether I should consider relocating or not?

Thanks in Advance,
Alex

Old 15-03-2018, 08:49 AM
Unregistered

if you are not Singaporean, please don't come to our country and compete with the unemployed here. You are not welcome!

Old 15-03-2018, 08:53 AM
Unregistered

now I understand why Australians accused us of stealing their jobs when I was studying there..

Old 15-03-2018, 10:39 AM
Paxie

Quote:
Originally Posted by alexshr View Post
Hi guys,

I have got offer from the company in Singapore. The company is offereing me S$ 7XXX monthly without any accomodation.

Currently, I am the only one working so I will have to take care for both of us.

2) Electricity - 220

I also want to save some savings, but looking at the current expense it looks like I won't be able to save any

Can you guys please share your experiences and suggest me whether I should consider relocating or not?

Thanks in Advance,
Alex
Alex

Some of your numbers are quite off and you are also missing out some important items.

Your meal cost at $10 for 3 meals per head per day can only work if you & your wife live like low income families and only eat the cheapest food item in the hawker centre or coffee shop every single day.

For normal middle class lifestyle combination of coffee shop, food court, cafe and the occasional restaurant, you will need to at least double that. FYI a simple meal & drink in food court for 2 costs ~$12-$15 whereas a low to mid end cafe burns $40-$50 for 2 pax.

Meal : 40 * 30 days = $1200

Your telephone bill also not very realistic. Assuming you and your wife both get lower end mobile plans with data, that's going to be ~$40 per subscription.

telephone, phone bills : 40 x 2 lines = $80

Also you are missing out transport, which can cost quite a bit depending on your options. If both of you choose the cheapest public transport, you will need ~$150 and maybe your wife travel less ~$100. If you are targeting taxis everywhere, then generally you need $1-1.2k. For the more expensive option of leasing cars, the cheapest car lease is $1500 per month plus expense so maybe $2000 a month.

Transport: $250 (public), $1000-$1200 (taxi), $2000 (car). For normal middle class lifestyle combination of mainly public plus occasional taxi I would say $400 is realistic.

Also you need to budget for all the daily nity gritty household expenses besides just utilities, conservatively I would say you should put aside at least $200 monthly.

Household miscellaneous: $200

Then on a more personal note, I hope you are not expecting your wife to simply stay at home for 365 days a year. Looking at your income, I don't think she will be able to mix around with the expat spousal community, so I would just assume some normal middle class local recreation.

Wife Outing/Recreation: $300-$500 (this is more personal choice).

Don't forget tax either. As a foreigner, most likely the only income tax deductible you are going to qualify is a general $1k line. On the basis of $90k income, that will will incur an approximate tax bill of $4400.

Tax: $365 monthly

I am assuming in terms of medical & insurance your company covers everything for both you and your spouse. Otherwise you need to set aside some money as well since medical services ain't cheap in Singapore either. Especially if your company never cover major medical for spouse, must buy something for wife. Otherwise one emergency stay in a Singapore hospital without local subsidy can costs 5 or even 6 figure amounts.

In summary, on a household income basis, $7k+ is considered below median (low-middle income) by Singapore standards. However because you incur additional expenses as a foreigner, chances are your income after deducting for necessities will likely be at the end of low income family.

I just lay down the numbers, it's up to you to decide whether this lifestyle is suitable for you and your wife.

Primary School English Grammar and Vocabulary Drills

SG Bus Timing App
SG Bus Timing App - the best bus app - available on iOS and Android

Bursa Stocks Android App - check share prices
Bursa Stocks [Android] App - check latest share prices on the go

SGX Stocks Android App - check share prices
SGX Stocks [Android] App - check latest share prices on the go

SGX Stocks for iPad - check latest Singapore share prices
SGX Stocks [iPad] app
| SGX Stocks [iPhone] app
Old 15-03-2018, 02:13 PM

Default Thank you for detailed reply

Hi Paxie,

Thank you for the very detailed breakdown. Also, thank you for pointing out the bits that I missed in my initial research:

Here are the list of things that are likely to remain same throughout every month. Other than that some household expense, utilities might fluctuate.

2) Electricity : 220
3) Meal : 40 * 30 = 1200
6) telephone, phone bills : 40 * 2 = 80
7) Transportation : 150 (public)
8) Household : 200
9) Wife outfit : 500 (optional)

= (7XXX - tax)-(3000 + 220 + 1200 + 75 + 80 + 150 + 200 + 500)

Given that I also have to send money back home to support my family, it looks like I won't be able to save enough for myself.

Is there any other things that I need to worry about other than the things listed above ?

@unregistered

Quote:
if you are not Singaporean, please don't come to our country and compete with the unemployed here. You are not welcome!
No hard feelings, I completely understand you. I pity myself that I have to leave my own country for newer opportunities. It's a very hard choice to make but at the end of the day, we all have to meet our daily needs. You can imagine living as expat where you won't be able to enjoy the privileges that we all enjoy back home.

Thank you,
Alex
Old 15-03-2018, 02:21 PM

Hi Paxie,

Thank you for the very detailed breakdown. Also, thank you for pointing out the bits that I missed in my initial research:

Here are the list of things that are likely to remain same throughout every month. Other than that some household expense, utilities might fluctuate.

Given that I also have to send money back home to support my family, it looks like I won't be able to keep enough for myself. I will be struggling on it.

Is there any other things that I need to take care about other than the ones listed above?

@unregistered
Quote:
No hard feelings, I completely understand you. I pity myself that I have to leave my own country for newer opportunities. It's a very hard choice to make but at the end of the day, we all have to meet our daily needs.

Thank you,
Alex

SG Bus Timing App
SG Bus Timing App - the best bus app - available on iOS and Android

Bursa Stocks Android App - check share prices
Bursa Stocks [Android] App - check latest share prices on the go

SGX Stocks Android App - check share prices
SGX Stocks [Android] App - check latest share prices on the go

SGX Stocks for iPad - check latest Singapore share prices
SGX Stocks [iPad] app
| SGX Stocks [iPhone] app

Old 16-03-2018, 09:24 PM
Unregistered

$7000 pm for two persons is more than sufficient.

Why stay in a HDB flat?
You can rent a small condo in Woodlands for less than $2k pm.
You can enjoy the many facilities in the condo.
If you take public transport and eat at hawker centres or food court,
you can live well.

Wish you the best in your new job.

Quote:
Hi guys,

2) Electricity - 220

Thanks in Advance,
Alex
Old 17-03-2018, 10:50 AM
Unregistered

Quote:
Hi Paxie,

Given that I also have to send money back home to support my family, it looks like I won't be able to save enough for myself.

Is there any other things that I need to worry about other than the things listed above ?

@unregistered

No hard feelings, I completely understand you. I pity myself that I have to leave my own country for newer opportunities. It's a very hard choice to make but at the end of the day, we all have to meet our daily needs. You can imagine living as expat where you won't be able to enjoy the privileges that we all enjoy back home.

Thank you,
Alex
Hi Alex,

Ignore that idiot.

Anyway, some of your numbers seem a tad off. Mobile phone bills would at least be SGD60 each (assuming both you and your partner are going for a standard data plan);

Electricity might not be that high, SGD150 - 180 / month for two, assuming you guys don't turn on your water heater and AC unit the 3/4 of the day...

Household = 200.. this seems way understated. I'm not sure what would be both of your lifestyles like.. but assuming your wife is going to cook 3/4 of the week and taking care of the household.. realistically, the figure will more be around 500/month at least (food, cooking stuffs, cleaning, general household supplies, etc.)

Meal = 40/day for two? You may want to elaborate more? Breakfast, lunch or dinner? What is your preference? Cost for eating out in SG varies wildly. Locals / asians would eat out at foodcourts / hawker centres (google them - there is where the good stuffs are).. but i know for a fact most Caucasians (female generally) don't like those places... smelly(?), hot, noisy, etc.

Lastly, do you know where is your office at or any preferred area you want to stay at? Your monthly cost of upkeep is also critically dependent on these two factors. If you stay in a 'posh' area, do expect the cost of amenities nearby to be expensive. If you stay in the 'heartland' area as with 70% of people, for the same amenities you can perhaps halve the cost compared to the former.
Old 17-03-2018, 12:08 PM
Unregistered

It is better to live in the suburban areas such as Jurong, Yishun, Woodlands.
You can get cheap rents for condos and can buy cheap food from hawker centres.
If you stay in posh areas, things are not cheap.
Old 17-03-2018, 05:40 PM
Unregistered

Generally speaking, I don't encourage a foreigner with only 7k income for 2 adults to stay in Singapore unless you are really here to live like a pauper and squeeze every single cent into savings for a better future back home.

You never say where you are from. If you are from a developed country and expect to maintain similar decent lifestyle then I can more or less guarantee 7k will never work out for both of you. If you are from a developing country with much lower living standards compared to Singapore, in theory you can push down your lifestyles to the lowest possible and still have some savings to send home.

But I reckon there won't be much left, maybe S$2k at max every month. However this will literally require both of you to just eat cheap, work and sleep every day. Not sure how long most people can last like that.