Salary.sg Forums

Salary.sg Forums (https://forums.salary.sg/)
-   Income and Jobs (https://forums.salary.sg/income-jobs/)
-   -   Hospital (Private or Public) Designation and Salary Range (https://forums.salary.sg/income-jobs/10265-hospital-private-public-designation-salary-range.html)

Unregistered 11-03-2021 05:01 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Unregistered (Post 158367)
Appreciate your kind words, as much as I love to make a difference in patient's life through rehabilitative interventions. Money is not the most important thing in life but I do hope to earn enough to provide my loved ones with a comfortable life. I heard the salary progression is really bad, as well as the workload. Hence the high turnover rate of healthcare professionals going into private.

I presume your are a scholar since you are bonded, in this case, you don't have to worry too much about your career progression as scholars are given more opportunities/portfolio to shine, promotion should also be faster.

In any case, only join the healthcare industry if you have the passion. Pay wise, it is nothing fantastic, our annual package is only about 15 to 16 months for average performers (including AWS/PB etc). You will earn enough to get by, and it is a iron rice bowl.

My only hope is that the government will give us due recognition (not the clapping kind please), appreciate the pay raise coming this year but it is way overdue. Also, the salary gap between non-medical and medical staff is too wide. The last time AHP (allied health professionals) had a pay revision was in 2016. I started off at $3750 (got below market rate though I have a Masters), and 5 years later, my pay has only gone up by a $1000, and that is after a pay revision in 2016, plus 2 years A performance. The pay increment is way too little, even the recent one announced is only 3% to 7%, our yearly increment is already at 3+% too. That being said, it doesn't mean that private sector is definitely better, perhaps better work-life balance? Though they may not get the pay increment revision that public healthcare sector receives.

And don't get me started on why the turnover rate in public healthcare is so high..
- Crazy amount of workload, on top of your clinical work, seeing patient etc, you have to do admin stuff, quality improvement etc, no time to do during office hours cos you need to see patients, so the only time to do is after working hours, cannot bring work home to do cos you need to access the hospital systems.
- Roster planning/shift work, hard to take long leave or ad hoc leave, need to plan leave one year in advance. If your department is facing shortage of staff, be prepared to work more days to cover the manpower shortage.
- Have to deal with difficult patients.
- Management, bosses etc.
- Mistakes are not tolerable as any mistakes make could potentially be a life and death matter. Imagine the mental pressure HCW faces every day at work..:(

Unregistered 14-03-2021 04:37 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Unregistered (Post 158683)
I presume your are a scholar since you are bonded, in this case, you don't have to worry too much about your career progression as scholars are given more opportunities/portfolio to shine, promotion should also be faster.

In any case, only join the healthcare industry if you have the passion. Pay wise, it is nothing fantastic, our annual package is only about 15 to 16 months for average performers (including AWS/PB etc). You will earn enough to get by, and it is a iron rice bowl.

My only hope is that the government will give us due recognition (not the clapping kind please), appreciate the pay raise coming this year but it is way overdue. Also, the salary gap between non-medical and medical staff is too wide. The last time AHP (allied health professionals) had a pay revision was in 2016. I started off at $3750 (got below market rate though I have a Masters), and 5 years later, my pay has only gone up by a $1000, and that is after a pay revision in 2016, plus 2 years A performance. The pay increment is way too little, even the recent one announced is only 3% to 7%, our yearly increment is already at 3+% too. That being said, it doesn't mean that private sector is definitely better, perhaps better work-life balance? Though they may not get the pay increment revision that public healthcare sector receives.

And don't get me started on why the turnover rate in public healthcare is so high..
- Crazy amount of workload, on top of your clinical work, seeing patient etc, you have to do admin stuff, quality improvement etc, no time to do during office hours cos you need to see patients, so the only time to do is after working hours, cannot bring work home to do cos you need to access the hospital systems.
- Roster planning/shift work, hard to take long leave or ad hoc leave, need to plan leave one year in advance. If your department is facing shortage of staff, be prepared to work more days to cover the manpower shortage.
- Have to deal with difficult patients.
- Management, bosses etc.
- Mistakes are not tolerable as any mistakes make could potentially be a life and death matter. Imagine the mental pressure HCW faces every day at work..:(

Hi, thanks for the insight, yes, I am a scholar, will be bonded for quite a number of years. you hit the nail on the head exactly. I have seniors who have been working quite awhile in the public sector (they are former scholars as well). I think it's a clear consensus about the workload and the pay. Personally, I don't see myself progressing far in the public sector even if i take up courses using my own money and etc. Also, i feel that healthcare workers are just treated as if they are like a tool in a clockwork, being replaceable and not valued added or treasured by the organisation. I dont think its the kind of job where "hard work" = more monetary incentive/promotion, especially where there is bureaucracy and politics involved.

The recent pay increment is a joke, imo, its just compensating for the inflation that's happening.

Unregistered 27-06-2021 05:35 AM

Question on salary

Hi everyone,

I have slightly over a year of experience at working in the government.

Moving on to the healthcare industry for several reasons and I left my position while still searching for another one (left on a good note). I didn’t push for a salary increment (I know, my mistake for not knowing my worth. Lesson learnt).

Just wanted to check what’s the salary range for private healthcare for my background (executive position, 1.2 years of experience working in the gvt (not healthcare) and not related to my previous role (though there are soft skills that are relevant). I took the offer at around ~$3500. :’) I did my research previously but I’m not absolutely certain of it’s accuracy.

Does anyone also know many years does it take to progress from designation to the next?

My aim is to learn and pick up more skills during my next role, and I’m not upset about the exact salary. I just also want to learnt how to negotiate my worth and my pay again for future. Thank you!

Unregistered 18-07-2021 10:00 AM

Anyone gotten any news about salary enhancement? Heard some cluster got it again..

Unregistered 21-07-2021 08:10 PM

Got my salary enhancement.. $200 plus only, equivalent to 5% lol..

Unregistered 21-07-2021 10:35 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Unregistered (Post 178178)
Got my salary enhancement.. $200 plus only, equivalent to 5% lol..

5%= 200
105% =4200

How many singaporeans earn more than 4200?

You need to be grateful

Unregistered 21-07-2021 10:37 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Unregistered (Post 178184)
5%= 200
105% =4200

How many singaporeans earn more than 4200?

You need to be grateful

FYI I have been working more than 10 years and with a Masters. Seriously underpaid in the healthcare sector.

Unregistered 23-07-2021 03:24 AM

How do they decide the range for 3-7% increment?

I've heard most people are getting 5%, with 7% of high performers and 3% for poorer performers. Is that right?

Unregistered 23-07-2021 01:39 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Unregistered (Post 159172)
Hi, thanks for the insight, yes, I am a scholar, will be bonded for quite a number of years. you hit the nail on the head exactly. I have seniors who have been working quite awhile in the public sector (they are former scholars as well). I think it's a clear consensus about the workload and the pay. Personally, I don't see myself progressing far in the public sector even if i take up courses using my own money and etc. Also, i feel that healthcare workers are just treated as if they are like a tool in a clockwork, being replaceable and not valued added or treasured by the organisation. I dont think its the kind of job where "hard work" = more monetary incentive/promotion, especially where there is bureaucracy and politics involved.

The recent pay increment is a joke, imo, its just compensating for the inflation that's happening.

Actually don think about it as a scholar.. just think about it as a sponsorship award to study and have an iron bowl job for 6 years..

most of my friend who gotten the MOHH award or scholarship is no diff after working in the hospitals... only a few lucky one went to HPB to work

Unregistered 25-07-2021 11:49 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Unregistered (Post 178274)
How do they decide the range for 3-7% increment?

I've heard most people are getting 5%, with 7% of high performers and 3% for poorer performers. Is that right?

Most I heard got 5%, I only know of one person getting 6%, that person has a higher job grade and about 20 years of working experience in that hospital department.