Salary.sg Forums

Salary.sg Forums (https://forums.salary.sg/)
-   Income and Jobs (https://forums.salary.sg/income-jobs/)
-   -   Is IT an ok field? (https://forums.salary.sg/income-jobs/1022-ok-field.html)

dryden28 13-09-2010 01:19 AM

Is IT an ok field?

i read this thread about engineering field not as good as financial field. How about IT or inforcomm field? do we have a good carreer prospect here in sg?

Unregistered 13-09-2010 12:31 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by dryden28 (Post 7261)
i read this thread about engineering field not as good as financial field. How about IT or inforcomm field? do we have a good carreer prospect here in sg?

Yes, it's an ok field, but just ok only.

If you study IT, still you should aim to work in a bank. Otherwise, join one of the big names, and/or do sales.

laguna 13-09-2010 03:09 PM

it is just ok if u stay at the back operation or tech support. At times, it is much more stress at the solution integrater side or outsourcing company.
Be at the buyer side is easier
No matter how, so long as u stay at the operation, good job done is never appreicated, but system down/slow, u will have to take all the blame.
Never want to get back there again

loony 13-09-2010 03:19 PM

Vendor/SI - Growth, technology, learning and may be higher pay coupled with stress, overworking, impact of economy
Client/ Service Provider - processes, administrative stuff but I see more cons(no growth, you'd end up doing things which you don't know why you are doing)..

dryden28 13-09-2010 06:03 PM

Initially, i'm planning to do a Computer Science and Information system degree course either at informatics or Kaplan. Should i go for it or go for a finance degree? To be frank, i pretty scare that i can't cope because i have absolutely no clue or foundation in finance and econs. Any advice guys?

Unregistered 14-09-2010 03:20 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by dryden28 (Post 7269)
Initially, i'm planning to do a Computer Science and Information system degree course either at informatics or Kaplan. Should i go for it or go for a finance degree? To be frank, i pretty scare that i can't cope because i have absolutely no clue or foundation in finance and econs. Any advice guys?

You think Warren Buffet and Adam Smith are born with "clue or foundation in finance and econs"? Come on, it's not a problem if you have "absolutely no clue or foundation", but it's a problem if you have no confidence or willingness to work hard.

Unregistered 15-09-2010 08:37 AM

WELL SAID!

im going to sart my master in engineering soon.. after so long working in the industry..
its been so long since ive touch my mathematics! and im mediocre in it but as long as i take my precious time for studies, it will pay off..

Unregistered 15-09-2010 03:31 PM

It's your desire that drives your passion.

A man is not successful not because you has no dream; but because he has no burning desire to take action to achieve his goal.

So stop talking cock or dreaming or asking people what you should do.

If you have no burning desire & take action, you'll be Mr Average or salaryman-next-door.

Stop looking for answer to be successful, learned from those who have reached the top.

zara90210 15-09-2010 06:46 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by dryden28 (Post 7269)

Just go for it. Provided you graduated at a time when the native Singaporeans vs foreigners ratio is still ok, you should be fine.

Unregistered 16-09-2010 11:14 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Unregistered (Post 7280)
It's your desire that drives your passion.

A man is not successful not because you has no dream; but because he has no burning desire to take action to achieve his goal.

So stop talking cock or dreaming or asking people what you should do.

If you have no burning desire & take action, you'll be Mr Average or salaryman-next-door.

Stop looking for answer to be successful, learned from those who have reached the top.

If this site is not about asking advice, than what is itfor? A place for showing off?
He is young (i believe) and is at a cross road and don't know what to do. whats wrong about him asking for advice? shut up if you don't have anything to contibuted.