is it crazy to give up a 100k P.A salary to become a property agent? - Page 2 - Salary.sg Forums
Salary.sg Forums  

Go Back   Salary.sg Forums > The Salary.sg Discussion Forums: > Income and Jobs

Income and Jobs Discuss jobs, career options and of course salaries

is it crazy to give up a 100k P.A salary to become a property agent?

Old 29-11-2018, 10:12 AM
Unregistered

Don't be silly. A property agent is a saleman. And like most other jobs in retail, well on the path of being made obsolete by changing times. If you are earning 100K as a civil servant or in a GLC, you are probably already mid-career. It's very risky to be starting from scratch again. In fact, the only way to earn a steady invome is to be a "mentor" and have lots of disciples, then you can take a cut from all the deals your disciple make.

Old 29-11-2018, 06:10 PM
Unregistered

Quote:
Originally Posted by TypicalFarmer View Post
i'm currently holding a government-related job, earning 100k p.a all in. is it crazy to want to switch to selling property? are there any stats on median annual commission rates?

How can I gain access to selling landed property or do all agents need to start from selling smaller HDB flats?

I have a wealth of experience in sales, digital marketing, photography, videography and thought it'd be a good fit for the industry.

comments welcome!
If the job you are holding is not harming your health, just stay on.

Being experienced in skills does not necessarily mean you will be well fitted in the property industry.

Many factors come into play. Word of mouth, trust and commitment come a long way.

I bought a house from an agent not because of his knowledge. In fact he has no big photography or videography skills. He is just a simple down to earth person serving his clients.

Old 09-04-2019, 10:00 PM
Active Real Estate Agent

Hi. I found this thread when doing my research. I am an active agent in one of the Largest Real Estate Company. I have been in this line for the past 6 years and I have seen a lot of agents joining this business and left without earning much commission. The hard truth is that top 20% are earning the 80% market share. I believe many people will be asking you not worth to try it because they don't see themselves belong to that top 20%.
In order to become the top 20%, You mustn't see yourself as salesperson and we are running it as a business. I would say I learnt a lot through this career and I still enjoy it everyday.

Regards
Alex
.AlexAgent.com

Old 23-12-2019, 06:33 PM
Verified Member

chancellor is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by TypicalFarmer View Post
i'm currently holding a government-related job, earning 100k p.a all in. is it crazy to want to switch to selling property? are there any stats on median annual commission rates?

How can I gain access to selling landed property or do all agents need to start from selling smaller HDB flats?

I have a wealth of experience in sales, digital marketing, photography, videography and thought it'd be a good fit for the industry.

comments welcome!
That sounds like a very good income. Not knowing how old you are but if you're young still, it's a great pity to leave an iron rice bowl and good pay isn't it?

some of my friends who joined the industry failed cos it's really very self-initiative driven. some do well and enjoy the trade cos they love meeting people. So it's all up to your own personality also..

i considered as well before but no guts to switch to no basic salary jobs.. bills to pay, mouths to feed.

Last edited by chancellor; 23-12-2019 at 06:37 PM.
Old 24-12-2019, 12:09 AM
Unregistered

You want to change jobs because you want to change job, or because you want to earn more?

If it's solely for the money, not worth it because of the uncertainty. Like others said, the property market is not as pretty as it looks. What you see on social media is only the manicured, "good part" of it. They don't show you the downsides.

But if you think your govt job sucks and you want to venture into sales for the sake of venturing into sales, for a change of environment, because you want to try something new, and with the non-guaranteed possibility of earning more, then go for it.
Old 24-12-2019, 12:17 AM
Unregistered

Let me try and provide some objective advice.

If you are still young, without a family to care for, and have a burning passion to succeed, then go for it. Don't waste your life away in civil service.

If you are mid career and married, please spare a thought for your family. Do you think you have what it takes to quit and succeed in the property business? What if it doesn't work out? Is your wife working or do you have enough savings to provide for your family for a few years? If not, just stick to your current job.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Unregistered View Post
You want to change jobs because you want to change job, or because you want to earn more?

If it's solely for the money, not worth it because of the uncertainty. Like others said, the property market is not as pretty as it looks. What you see on social media is only the manicured, "good part" of it. They don't show you the downsides.

But if you think your govt job sucks and you want to venture into sales for the sake of venturing into sales, for a change of environment, because you want to try something new, and with the non-guaranteed possibility of earning more, then go for it.

Primary School English Grammar and Vocabulary Drills
Primary School English Grammar and Vocabulary Drills

SG Bus Timing App
SG Bus Timing App - the best bus app - available on iOS and Android

Bursa Stocks Android App - check share prices
Bursa Stocks [Android] App - check latest share prices on the go

SGX Stocks Android App - check share prices
SGX Stocks [Android] App - check latest share prices on the go

SGX Stocks for iPad - check latest Singapore share prices
SGX Stocks [iPad] app
| SGX Stocks [iPhone] app

Old 24-12-2019, 03:00 AM
Unregistered

Monthly advertising is around $8000. Cars is important to drive clients from property to property. Clothing must present an air of success. Constant competition from veterans and newbies as entry level is so low. Just the monthly upkeep of this business is intense. Breaking into the circle of the rich is also extremely difficult, which leaves you with the upper middle-class clients. After all the networking, you will most likely earn one commission from them and that is it.

My classmate has to do 3 jobs to survive this industry. He is still trying to build up his network. Grab driving to cover the car, tuition to cover expenses, and property agent with the hopes of making it big. It is not an easy line.
Old 24-12-2019, 08:50 AM
Unregistered

Quote:
Originally Posted by Unregistered View Post
Monthly advertising is around $8000. Cars is important to drive clients from property to property. Clothing must present an air of success. Constant competition from veterans and newbies as entry level is so low. Just the monthly upkeep of this business is intense. Breaking into the circle of the rich is also extremely difficult, which leaves you with the upper middle-class clients. After all the networking, you will most likely earn one commission from them and that is it.

My classmate has to do 3 jobs to survive this industry. He is still trying to build up his network. Grab driving to cover the car, tuition to cover expenses, and property agent with the hopes of making it big. It is not an easy line.
Ya correct. The advertising is insane. Google ads, property gurus, fb, . + traditional flyers.

Very tough work. Those that succeed earns big bucks though

Luck plays a part too. Some clients are time waster. Some just buy on first viewing
Old 24-12-2019, 11:30 AM
Unregistered

First of all you need to ensure you can survive, feed yourself and your family, and pay your bills.
These are necessities. Don't mix your wants with the needs. We work to minimally meet our needs. The wants should come from extra remaining after deduct the portion for savings.

If the needs are manageable financially, then you are free to choose whatever career you want. Most importantly, don't regret your decision. That is, should you switch, don't regret it even if it fail. Should you choose to stay on, don't regret later in life that you did not make the switch. In short, make the decision that you will not regret (while ensuring you can meet your needs).
Old 24-12-2019, 05:19 PM
Unregistered

Wink

not worth the downgrade in status bro.. property agent no prestige no respect no status.. even if got cash is through breaking relationships and family ties. worth meh... 100k can promote and climb, do further studies. property agent no fixed income and worse is you need to deal with ah beng ah lian smokers, not a work environment. plus all the directors and managers all high one, think they damn good damn satki but go out to the real world all cannot perform... only can talk.