Salary.sg Forums

Salary.sg Forums (https://forums.salary.sg/)
-   Income and Jobs (https://forums.salary.sg/income-jobs/)
-   -   Management Consultant in Singapore (https://forums.salary.sg/income-jobs/10040-management-consultant-singapore.html)

AmosFamous 06-01-2018 05:03 PM

Management Consultant in Singapore

Hi all, I'm new here and I'd like to ask some questions and hopefully some of you guys here can help!

I have made extensive readings about the job as a management consultant, but many of these posts are more of the accounts of the consultants from US.

First of all, I was wondering if working in one of the bigger management consultant firms in Singapore such as Mckinsey, Bain, BCG requires frequent travels to other countries? If yes, roughly how often would it be?

Secondly, I understand that most graduates with bachelors would start of as an analyst, is there an estimate of the salary as an analyst?

Unregistered 07-01-2018 02:19 PM

what you have asked can be found in the earlier threads. Do yourself a favor and go through the old pages

Unregistered 07-01-2018 03:36 PM

weekly travel if the engagement is outside singapore (most likely)
starting pay is 6-7k for MBB

Unregistered 07-01-2018 05:15 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Unregistered (Post 103658)
weekly travel if the engagement is outside singapore (most likely)
starting pay is 6-7k for MBB

So low?? I was under the impression it is 10 to 12k for fresh mbb analyst

Unregistered 07-01-2018 09:07 PM

Wow 6-7k is quite low considering in US/EMEA MBB usually pays 10% lower than IBD in a BB. Almost 30%+ lower for Singapore then...

Unregistered 07-01-2018 10:32 PM

local NTU grad 1st class... 6-7k entry pay for Bain.

Unregistered 08-01-2018 12:48 AM

MBB value add in Singapore is substantially less than the value-add in US/EMEA. Payscale is adjusted accordingly. Only investment banking/S&T in Singapore is benchmarked to New York figure, all other industries are localised and adjusted for local cost of living

Unregistered 13-01-2018 09:58 PM

Big 4 Salary

Anyone here know what is the salary for big 4 consulting?

Unregistered 13-01-2018 10:47 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Unregistered (Post 103836)

deloitte consulting $3.5k starting. kinda low imo

Unregistered 15-01-2018 05:05 PM

I hate to say this but if you are MBB quality, I don’t think you will need to ask such questions on this forum.

Unregistered 13-05-2018 12:16 AM

Consulting in SG

Quote:

Originally Posted by Unregistered (Post 103836)

Hi, not from MBB but from a tier 2 strat house and have a few friends from MBB and in the industry. Hence, happy to hear any updated entry-level salaries over here.

Mckinsey ~ 5.6k / month
BCG ~5.8k / month
Bain ~6.7k / month

Oliver Wyman ~8k / month (not sure about this, just heard from a colleague over a chat)
S& ~6.3k / month
Accenture Strategy ~ 5.6k / month
EY-Parthenon ~4k / month
No info on ATK & Monitor Deloitte

EY - Aug 2017 my friend went into TAS - Operations, 2.9k. Two months later got revised to 3.5k, but heard increment was based on sub-function/line of service/performance.
PwC - 4k (1st year no bonus/increment) -> 2nd year 4k (w bonus)
Deloitte - 3.5k (Not Monitor Deloitte)
KPMG - not sure, heard its quite low
Accenture (Management / Tech Consulting) - 4.3k (incl. allowance of 300 for transport)
Cognizant/Capgemini ~ 3.8k

As a consultant moves up the ladder, bonus will become an integral part of his/her salary.

MBB does not pay the best for entry-level graduates because people just flock to them regardless of salary. Tier 2s, on the other hand, have to "buy talent". Give me a 30% pay cut and i'll still move to MBB any day.

Cheers ~

Unregistered 13-05-2018 05:11 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Unregistered (Post 107231)
Hi, not from MBB but from a tier 2 strat house and have a few friends from MBB and in the industry. Hence, happy to hear any updated entry-level salaries over here.

Mckinsey ~ 5.6k / month
BCG ~5.8k / month
Bain ~6.7k / month

Oliver Wyman ~8k / month (not sure about this, just heard from a colleague over a chat)
S& ~6.3k / month
EY-Parthenon ~4k / month

EY - Aug 2017 my friend went into TAS - Operations, 2.9k. Two months later got revised to 3.5k, but heard increment was based on sub-function/line of service/performance.
Accenture (Management / Tech Consulting) - 4.3k (incl. allowance of 300 for transport)

As a consultant moves up the ladder, bonus will become an integral part of his/her salary.

MBB does not pay the best for entry-level graduates because people just flock to them regardless of salary. Tier 2s, on the other hand, have to "buy talent". Give me a 30% pay cut and i'll still move to MBB any day.

Cheers ~

hey mate, this conversation sounds familiar. Are you from LSE?

Unregistered 20-06-2018 01:08 AM

is it a good idea pay wise to do a mid career switch to management consulting?

Unregistered 26-06-2018 11:20 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Unregistered (Post 108125)
is it a good idea pay wise to do a mid career switch to management consulting?

depends on your age bah.

pay is good. but lifestyle sucks. 4 days a week travelling. long hours.

kinda difficult for someone with family and kids.

most MBB consultants move out after 2-3 years.

not to mention the lack of career stability. the up or out kind sucks. but usually then again, MBB consultants don't have a problem getting jobs elsewhere

Roadsweeper 11-08-2018 01:17 PM

Quote:

Mckinsey ~ 5.6k / month
BCG ~5.8k / month
Bain ~6.7k / month

S& ~6.3k / month
EY-Parthenon ~4k / month

Cheers ~

hey man thanks for this, seems quite accurate.. maybe for your update from my own exp in SG

Mckinsey 5.8k / month
ACN (TC/MC) 4.2k including 300 transport
ACN Strat 5.4k
KPMG 3k (last i heard)

Unregistered 11-08-2018 02:39 PM

Starting salary - about 7k a month before bonus

Travel - expect to travel every week Monday to Thursday unless you are fortunate enough to be on a local case

Does it make sense to do it? Yes if you are fresh graduate. It's good exposure, pays relatively well, and you can use it as a step to other jobs. Few people start and end their careers in consulting though - too much burnout and people usually want to move on after a few years of making slide decks.

What does it take to get in? Pass the resume screening which means top grades from top overseas or local Universities. When invited for interviews pass successive rounds of tough case interviews. Overall perhaps less than 5 percent who submit their resumes get an offer at a mbb

Source: been there done that at one of the mbb

Unregistered 03-10-2018 08:17 PM

Quick question, while all the starting salaries quoted seem very attractive, what would the long term progression and earning potential be for someone in say consulting?

Even if you were to start at 6 or 7k for example, would the difference in pay be as significant in the long term? For example a consultant with 8 yrs of exp versus someone in banking with 8 yrs of exp.

Unregistered 04-10-2018 08:39 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Unregistered (Post 109526)
Few people start and end their careers in consulting though - too much burnout and people usually want to move on after a few years of making slide decks.

Lol of course if you are stuck doing all the low level grunt wor!

Unregistered 30-10-2019 04:12 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Unregistered (Post 103662)
So low?? I was under the impression it is 10 to 12k for fresh mbb analyst

Most people who join MBB fresh out of under grad do it for the career prospects. Money starts to get more interesting most MBA. After 2 years as analyst and 2 years of MBA, you come back to 12-13k monthly as associate (in Mck). As an EM (which is 2 years after Associate), you get ~250-300k annual. AP gets 300-500k and as a Partner (which is 8-10 years after graduating including MBA time) you are looking at 700k-1.2m annual comp. Which is pretty decent even if these people can probably get more working in finance or tech.

FastLightning 30-10-2019 09:44 PM

Consulting pay for fresh graduates are listed here

Wow

s://goodguydan.com/graduate-programmes-income/

Unregistered 30-10-2019 10:00 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Unregistered (Post 124573)
Most people who join MBB fresh out of under grad do it for the career prospects. Money starts to get more interesting most MBA. After 2 years as analyst and 2 years of MBA, you come back to 12-13k monthly as associate (in Mck). As an EM (which is 2 years after Associate), you get ~250-300k annual. AP gets 300-500k and as a Partner (which is 8-10 years after graduating including MBA time) you are looking at 700k-1.2m annual comp. Which is pretty decent even if these people can probably get more working in finance or tech.

Yep - MBBer here. MBA isn't necessary these days if you join straight out of undergrad. Top performers can make EM/PL ~4 years out of undergrad and pull ~250-300k/year (3 years in the US with McK's BA to EM program).

A lot of the information about gross salaries within the consulting industry are also false - some firms internalize employer contribution to CPF within the monthly salary, and hence reflect numbers disproportionate to that of other firms.

Unregistered 30-10-2019 10:06 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Unregistered (Post 124573)

Yep, MBBer here. MBAs are no longer necessary if you join straight out of undergrad. Top performers can make EM/PL in ~4 years out of undergrad and pull 250-300k p.a. (3 years in the US with McK's BA to EM program).

Additionally, a lot of the information about salaries within the industry are misguided, including some in the link above. A lot of firms internalize employer contribution to CPF within the gross monthly, and hence reflect salaries disproportionate to that of their peers. On a per annum basis, they tend to be more aligned because of bonus structure, other contributions etc. This is commensurate with the global practice of per annum rather than per month salary.

Unregistered 04-02-2021 09:36 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Unregistered (Post 124583)
Yep, MBBer here. MBAs are no longer necessary if you join straight out of undergrad. Top performers can make EM/PL in ~4 years out of undergrad and pull 250-300k p.a. (3 years in the US with McK's BA to EM program).

Additionally, a lot of the information about salaries within the industry are misguided, including some in the link above. A lot of firms internalize employer contribution to CPF within the gross monthly, and hence reflect salaries disproportionate to that of their peers. On a per annum basis, they tend to be more aligned because of bonus structure, other contributions etc. This is commensurate with the global practice of per annum rather than per month salary.

Lol 250-300k even in 4 years, dream on - current economical climate not withstanding

fool886 11-02-2021 10:41 PM

Anyone familiar with capgemini ¿
What’s the culture like ¿
Dress code¿

Unregistered 12-02-2021 01:08 AM

stop going into every thread and ask the same questions.

chickpig 02-04-2021 03:12 AM

Quote:

Mckinsey ~ 5.6k / month
BCG ~5.8k / month
Bain ~6.7k / month

S& ~6.3k / month
EY-Parthenon ~4k / month

Cheers ~

Kearney ~ 6k / month
Monitor Deloitte only hires at MBA-level i.e. ~ >10k / month

Unregistered 29-04-2022 06:32 PM

compare Kearney and EY-parthenon FSO

Quote:

Originally Posted by chickpig (Post 163434)
Kearney ~ 6k / month
Monitor Deloitte only hires at MBA-level i.e. ~ >10k / month

Hi, guys, i am a foreigner in Sg.
i got an offer from EYP FSO. Anyone knows their culture, project? EYP is in Singapore while Kearney is in Shanghai. i also have an offer from Kearney. i am hesitant on which i should take. anyone knowing EYP is available to chat?

Unregistered 29-04-2022 06:38 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Unregistered (Post 216228)
Hi, guys, i am a foreigner in Sg.
i got an offer from EYP FSO. Anyone knows their culture, project? EYP is in Singapore while Kearney is in Shanghai. i also have an offer from Kearney. i am hesitant on which i should take. anyone knowing EYP is available to chat?

Kearney for sure, eyp is irrelevant in sg

Unregistered 29-04-2022 09:51 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Unregistered (Post 216229)
Kearney for sure, eyp is irrelevant in sg

Why irrelevant?

Unregistered 29-04-2022 09:57 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Unregistered (Post 155675)
Lol 250-300k even in 4 years, dream on - current economical climate not withstanding

Also I don’t think MBB-ers browse this forum…

Unregistered 04-05-2022 12:28 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Unregistered (Post 155675)

250-300 is not enough tbh - IBD already pays 140-150k pa starting with 6-12m bonus (200-300k pa all in). When they make assoc (3-4yoe) it’s 240k pa base = 400-500k all in.

Competition is fierce. FAANG SWE = 110-140k pa starting and rises to 300k+ in 4-5 yrs.

If you think young folks arent paid this amount, you are stuck in your own world with $200 increments thinking no one deserves more. These are folks who do 3-4 internships while you shake leg during every break. If you want to get better, go work on your cv instead of trying to put others down. Cringe bro.

Unregistered 05-05-2022 12:56 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Unregistered (Post 216790)
250-300 is not enough tbh - IBD already pays 140-150k pa starting with 6-12m bonus (200-300k pa all in). When they make assoc (3-4yoe) it’s 240k pa base = 400-500k all in.

Competition is fierce. FAANG SWE = 110-140k pa starting and rises to 300k+ in 4-5 yrs.

If you think young folks arent paid this amount, you are stuck in your own world with $200 increments thinking no one deserves more. These are folks who do 3-4 internships while you shake leg during every break. If you want to get better, go work on your cv instead of trying to put others down. Cringe bro.

Rofl 240k as a MANAGEMENT CONSULTANT with 4YOE. The internet is full of dumb ****ing kids.

Unregistered 27-05-2022 07:12 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Unregistered (Post 216898)
Rofl 240k as a MANAGEMENT CONSULTANT with 4YOE. The internet is full of dumb ****ing kids.

Yup can confirm - mck MBB

Unregistered 28-05-2022 11:17 AM

Why are people so salty in this forum? 200k++ all in is possible for top roles straight from undergraduate. Instead of being so salty maybe you should reflect why you didn't work hard in school, too busy partying left and right, or your rag and flag or whatever

Unregistered 30-05-2022 01:02 PM

Well we have a useless sourgrapes boomer here, who thinks everyone should earn what he’s earning. “How can fresh grad deserve more than S$4k per mth? OVERPAID” L m a o

Unregistered 30-05-2022 01:58 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Unregistered (Post 219691)
Well we have a useless sourgrapes boomer here, who thinks everyone should earn what he’s earning. “How can fresh grad deserve more than S$4k per mth? OVERPAID” L m a o

In today's context earning $4k per month is only considered decent off course is very much dependent on the field of study. Above average should be starting at 5K with the high achievers starting at 7k and above. At the age of 30, average ones should be drawing 6k, above average 7.5k and high fliers 10k and above. Average is approx 50-60 percentile, above average 60-89 percentile and high fliers 90 percentile and above.

Unregistered 31-05-2022 01:59 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Unregistered (Post 219694)
In today's context earning $4k per month is only considered decent off course is very much dependent on the field of study. Above average should be starting at 5K with the high achievers starting at 7k and above. At the age of 30, average ones should be drawing 6k, above average 7.5k and high fliers 10k and above. Average is approx 50-60 percentile, above average 60-89 percentile and high fliers 90 percentile and above.

At 30, girls will have worked 6-7 years and guys 5-6 years. We can talk about the ultra highflyers. There are maybe 100-300 people per cohort in the top few firms in these top couple of industries. I am sure there are other roles that pay well as well (PE, HF etc) but are smaller, and IB/MC are the more well-known and sizeable ones and form the base of ‘liquidity’ for people to go into other careers.

For girls,
At 6-7 years in MBB you would be an EM level. That’s around 16-18k base, 250-300k all in.
At 6-7 years in BB IB you would be Assoc/entry VP level. That’s around 20-30k base, 400-600k all in.
US whiteshoe big law assoc = 20-30k base, 300-400k all in.
For guys, maybe take a 20-30% discount on those numbers due to 2 years lag.

Outside these professional services folks there are also the tech folks.

Tech numbers will depend on whether you are in SG or US, and when you got your stocks. The industry is growing too fast and compensation is too unstable for me to put a gauge on things. But SWEs from NUS love to talk up their US comp after going overseas, but that’s stupid. US salaries don’t apply because they pay 40% tax + high COL, and the litmus test is if you do a lateral transfer within a Google or Meta you won’t get anywhere close to your US package in SG with the same numbers (even replacing USD with SGD). But it’s also a good industry and I think SWEs with 5-6 yrs xp can be pulling 250-350k depending on which firm they are in.

Unregistered 31-05-2022 02:03 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Unregistered (Post 219789)
At 30, girls will have worked 6-7 years and guys 5-6 years. We can talk about the ultra highflyers. There are maybe 100-300 people per cohort in the top few firms in these top couple of industries. I am sure there are other roles that pay well as well (PE, HF etc) but are smaller, and IB/MC are the more well-known and sizeable ones and form the base of ‘liquidity’ for people to go into other careers.

For girls,
At 6-7 years in MBB you would be an EM level. That’s around 16-18k base, 250-300k all in.
At 6-7 years in BB IB you would be Assoc/entry VP level. That’s around 20-30k base, 400-600k all in.

Tech numbers will depend on whether you are in SG or US, and when you got your stocks. The industry is growing too fast and compensation is too unstable for me to put a gauge on things. But SWEs from NUS love to talk up their US comp after going overseas, but that’s stupid. US salaries don’t apply because they pay 40% tax + high COL, and the litmus test is if you do a lateral transfer within a Google or Meta you won’t get anywhere close to your US package in SG with the same numbers (even replacing USD with SGD). But it’s also a good industry and I think SWEs with 5-6 yrs xp can be pulling 250-350k depending on which firm they are in.

Your white shoe numbers are too low.

Cravath starting is already 215k USD = 300k SGD (not including bonuses). 4 - 5 years in would be close to 480k (not including bonuses).

Unregistered 31-05-2022 02:04 PM

Quote:

For girls,

Your white shoe numbers are too low. Cravath starting is already 215k USD = 300k SGD (not including bonuses). 4 - 5 years in would be close to 480k (not including bonuses). Big law salaries (at least at the NQ level) are a matter of public record so go ahead and verify.

Unregistered 31-05-2022 05:20 PM

Quote:

For girls,

Work in one of the field mentioned above, and can confirm the numbers quoted are accurate based on my own experience + friends' in the field too.