Hello - Salary.sg Forums
Salary.sg Forums  

Go Back   Salary.sg Forums > The Salary.sg Discussion Forums: > General Discussions

General Discussions Say your hello's and discuss anything under the sun

Hello

Old 14-06-2009, 08:58 PM
Administrator

admin has disabled reputation
Default Hello

Welcome to the Salary.sg Forums!

Hello messages and comments are welcome.

Old 15-06-2009, 03:45 PM

Husky is on a distinguished road

Hi all,

I am a working professional going to hit the big 30 soon. Joined this forum because...

1) Salary matters are important. Hey, that's the primary reason why we work isn't it?

2) My boss forgot to reward me for my hard work in 2008. In 2009 I forgot how to work hard. I still do my basic job well, but no more slogging every single minute of my life in the office. Nowadays when I have time, I just take it easy. Surf net, post on forums etc.

3) Hope to pick up some useful info/ tips from fellow forum users. Cheers.

Last edited by Husky; 15-06-2009 at 03:48 PM.
Old 15-06-2009, 04:13 PM

quek is on a distinguished road

Hi all and hello Husky,

I'm a senior software developer in a local organization (sorry can't be more specific). In my mid-thirties already.

Learning lots from Salary.sg - Your Salary in Singapore and this new forum. The good thing about such forums is that among all the chatter (seems signal to noise is quite high here though), we get to discover little gems that will help us in our decision-making in our careers and/or investments. The state media tells us a bit, but the alternative media tells us much more!

Old 15-06-2009, 04:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by adbie View Post
Hi all and hello Husky,

I'm a senior software developer in a local organization (sorry can't be more specific). In my mid-thirties already.
Sure. I am definitely not your boss. But maybe I am working in the same building as you. We all know how tiny this country is.
Old 16-06-2009, 10:50 AM
lemon

Hi I'm lemon, a lurker in this forum for the past few days. Happy to meet all of you here.

Too lazy to register as a regular user for now, but may do so very soon cos this image verification thing can be a hassle!
Old 16-06-2009, 02:31 PM

Qaz is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by Husky View Post
2) My boss forgot to reward me for my hard work in 2008. In 2009 I forgot how to work hard. I still do my basic job well, but no more slogging every single minute of my life in the office. Nowadays when I have time, I just take it easy. Surf net, post on forums etc.
Yeah, that's so common now adays... the current economic condition is a prefect excuse for companies to neglect even the top performers. Now I'm spending evenings & weekends on studies, exercising & relaxing wif family rather than working... Its more satisfying dat way...

Old 16-06-2009, 02:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Qaz View Post
Yeah, that's so common now adays... the current economic condition is a prefect excuse for companies to neglect even the top performers. Now I'm spending evenings & weekends on studies, exercising & relaxing wif family rather than working... Its more satisfying dat way...
Me too! Welcome to the club!
Old 16-06-2009, 03:00 PM

So, I am not alone The best part is, my company (a SME) actually did well last year. My boss bought a new car for himself. Earlier this year asked me to help him hire a new sales staff.

But news of recession gave him an execuse to freeze all our pay. I didn't even get any performance bonus, only got my AWS (13th month). What are the odds that I will get anything next year? Zero is an optimisitic figure.

Have been looking for a new job since Feb but not much luck so far. In the meantime, I think the best solution is to stay here, just do the min and tong until better times.

Last edited by Husky; 16-06-2009 at 03:04 PM.
Old 16-06-2009, 05:55 PM
mburg

Default Hello!

Hi all,

Hello to everyone here. It's great that Salary.sg has come up with the Forums... it's a much needed addition.

Will continue to support this site and learn more about how everyone's salary compares to mine.... haha.

BTW just to share a little story from "4 hour work week" by Tim Ferriss regarding money:

An American businessman took a vacation to a small coastal Mexican village on doctor’s orders. Unable to sleep after an urgent phone call from the office the first morning, he walked out to the pier to clear his head. A small boat with just one fisherman had docked, and inside the boat were several large yellowfin tuna. The American complimented the Mexican on the quality of his fish.
“How long did it take you to catch them?” the American asked.
“Only a little while,” the Mexican replied in surprisingly good English.
“Why don’t you stay out longer and catch more fish?” the American then asked.
“I have enough to support my family and give a few to friends,” the Mexican said as he unloaded them into a basket.
“But… What do you do with the rest of your time?”
The Mexican looked up and smiled. “I sleep late, fish a little, play with my children, take a siesta with my wife, Julia, and stroll into the village each evening, where I sip wine and play guitar with my amigos. I have a full and busy life, senor.”
The American laughed and stood tall. “Sir, I’m a Harvard M.B.A. and can help you. You should spend more time fishing, and with the proceeds, buy a bigger boat. In no time, you could buy several boats with the increased haul. Eventually, you would have a fleet of fishing boats.”
He continued, “Instead of selling your catch to a middleman, you would sell directly to the consumers, eventually opening your own cannery. You would control the product, processing, and distribution. You would need to leave this small coastal fishing village, of course, and move to Mexico City, then to Los Angeles, and eventually New York City, where you could run your expanding enterprise with proper management.”
The Mexican fisherman asked, “But, senor, how long will all this take?”
To which the American replied, “15-20 years. 25 tops.”
“But what then, senor?”
The American laughed and said, “That’s the best part. When the time is right, you would announce an IPO and sell your company stock to the public and become very rich. You would make millions.”
“Millions, senor? Then what?”
“Then you would retire and move to a small coastal fishing village, where you would sleep late, fish a little, play with your kids, take a siesta with your wife, and stroll to the village in the evening where you could sip wine and play your guitar with your amigos…”

cheers
Old 16-06-2009, 06:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mburg View Post
The American laughed and said, “That’s the best part. When the time is right, you would announce an IPO and sell your company stock to the public and become very rich. You would make millions.”
“Millions, senor? Then what?”
“Then you would retire and move to a small coastal fishing village, where you would sleep late, fish a little, play with your kids, take a siesta with your wife, and stroll to the village in the evening where you could sip wine and play your guitar with your amigos…”
Haha... that's what the mexican fisherman has been doing along, and the Harvard grad needs 10-15 years to reach that stage... tsk tsk tsk