Where does CFA stand compared with MBA - Salary.sg Forums
Salary.sg Forums  

Go Back   Salary.sg Forums > The Salary.sg Discussion Forums: > Education and Personal Growth

Education and Personal Growth Schools, further studies, getting ready for employment, and motivation stuff




Where does CFA stand compared with MBA

Reply
 
Thread Tools
  #1 (permalink)  
Old 17-08-2010, 07:52 PM
Verified Member
 
Join Date: May 2010
Location: Singapore
Posts: 18
rampa001 is on a distinguished road
Default Where does CFA stand compared with MBA

Hi All , Just curious to know how far can CFA take you compared with a normal MBA done in part time mode in Bschools such as SIM ,MDIS,Kaplan...etc. Which will provide better opportunities considering he/she is new to the industry...Thx in advance....

Reply With Quote
  #2 (permalink)  
Old 17-08-2010, 08:12 PM
Unregistered
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by rampa001 View Post
Hi All , Just curious to know how far can CFA take you compared with a normal MBA done in part time mode in Bschools such as SIM ,MDIS,Kaplan...etc. Which will provide better opportunities considering he/she is new to the industry...Thx in advance....
CFA is definitely harder to pass, the historical passing rate for lvl 3 has gone down to 46% this year.

MBA doing in SIM, MDIS or Kaplan is easier to pass, but will not hold such credibility as CFA as it is a global Master of Applied Finance equivalent kind of degree

Reply With Quote
  #3 (permalink)  
Old 17-08-2010, 09:33 PM
CFA Title Holder
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Default

Hm, what's the context here? The CFA may be harder to pass, but that does not mean you are going to work at Goldman Sachs front office if you pass it. Those positions are already reserved for MBAs/Phds from the very top schools CFA be damned. In these cases, the CFA designation tends to be more of a complementary thing i.e. those already "smart" guys would take it just to add 3 more letters at the back of their name, title, etc.

So where can a CFA add value? If your aim is to analyse stocks, etc in a more research oriented position, then by all means, it's going to be very useful. Sales and strategist related positions would be helped too.

Reply With Quote
  #4 (permalink)  
Old 17-08-2010, 11:03 PM
DLJ
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Default

CFA with decent work experience can be useful if you're gunning for Equity Research positions at MM and BB Banks.

An MBA opens doors and provides the greatest flexibility in terms of exit opportunities. That being said, an MBA is just a re-hashed version of an undergraduate business degree with some fancy leadership courses included. Most people do an MBA for networking purposes. MBAs outside of the top 20 charts (check out Financial Times) don't really add much value IMO. Work experience is more important.
Reply With Quote
  #5 (permalink)  
Old 18-08-2010, 07:44 AM
Verified Member
 
Join Date: May 2010
Location: Singapore
Posts: 18
rampa001 is on a distinguished road
Default

Thx for the replies guys.....But my intention of doing either one of the two is to make a career change to management /finance. I'm an engineering grad with about 3yrs work ex. since I'can't afford to get an MBA from a top notch school these are the only options I have....
Reply With Quote
  #6 (permalink)  
Old 18-08-2010, 10:18 AM
Unregistered
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by rampa001 View Post
Thx for the replies guys.....But my intention of doing either one of the two is to make a career change to management /finance. I'm an engineering grad with about 3yrs work ex. since I'can't afford to get an MBA from a top notch school these are the only options I have....
join the technology division of a bank, any bank, now. work as an analyst, whatever analyst. and once you get your cfa, seek an internal transfer to a business division. by that time, maybe you will have hit high pay and won't want to move out of technology any more.


Primary School English Grammar and Vocabulary Drills
Primary School English Grammar and Vocabulary Drills


SG Bus Timing App
SG Bus Timing App - the best bus app - available on iOS and Android


SGX Stocks Android App - check share prices
SGX Stocks [Android] App - check latest share prices on the go


SGX Stocks for iPad - check latest Singapore share prices
SGX Stocks [iPad] app
| SGX Stocks [iPhone] app
Reply With Quote

  #7 (permalink)  
Old 20-08-2010, 11:52 AM
DLJ
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Unregistered View Post
join the technology division of a bank, any bank, now. work as an analyst, whatever analyst. and once you get your cfa, seek an internal transfer to a business division. by that time, maybe you will have hit high pay and won't want to move out of technology any more.

Most people who join the technology division (aka back office) will generally stay in technology. Transition to front office will be difficult. But if you're good enough, you may make it to VP at another bank or so.
Reply With Quote
  #8 (permalink)  
Old 20-08-2010, 12:56 PM
Unregistered
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Default

I was formerly an accountant from NTU. I took the CFA when I was with a Big4. When I passed it, I applied for many investment related front office positions as I could. I am not sure if it was because of only the CFA that I got several offers but I think it certainly helps.

I think if you want to get into a front office position, between the CFA and MBA from a local university, I would go for the CFA anytime.

Passing the CFA is an internationally recognised program to train financial analysts, MBA is more generic. Unless you are going an MBA with a top-tier university like Insead, forget it.

My advice for people who want to switch, get a CFA and then join a local investment firm if cannot get into the foreign one. With 2-3 years experience, you will be easily poached by the BB firms.
Reply With Quote
  #9 (permalink)  
Old 21-08-2010, 01:22 PM
Unregistered
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Unregistered View Post
I was formerly an accountant from NTU. I took the CFA when I was with a Big4. When I passed it, I applied for many investment related front office positions as I could. I am not sure if it was because of only the CFA that I got several offers but I think it certainly helps.

I think if you want to get into a front office position, between the CFA and MBA from a local university, I would go for the CFA anytime.

Passing the CFA is an internationally recognised program to train financial analysts, MBA is more generic. Unless you are going an MBA with a top-tier university like Insead, forget it.

My advice for people who want to switch, get a CFA and then join a local investment firm if cannot get into the foreign one. With 2-3 years experience, you will be easily poached by the BB firms.

If you are an accountant working for a big 4, CFA will be more useful than an MBA. I would also agree with you that a local MBA is also less useful than a CFA in this respect. However, If you are an engineer or in a non-finance related field, CFA does nothing for you. You are better off with a MBA from a top tier program to get in.
Reply With Quote
  #10 (permalink)  
Old 25-06-2013, 08:55 AM
Unregistered
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Default MBA value

MBA is useful when come from top u.if not , waste the money
Reply With Quote
Reply

Bookmarks

Tags
cfa, finance, mba

« Previous Thread | Next Thread »
Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are Off


» 30 Recent Threads
How is life as a doctor in... ( 1 2 3... Last Page)
1,951 Replies, 1,167,021 Views
Compare civil service salary ( 1 2 3... Last Page)
11,675 Replies, 6,649,589 Views
Starting business as civil service ( 1 2)
10 Replies, 4,744 Views
MAS : Mid Career Professionals ( 1 2 3... Last Page)
297 Replies, 189,152 Views
GovTech career grade ( 1 2 3... Last Page)
235 Replies, 228,255 Views
Lawyer Salary ( 1 2 3... Last Page)
10,781 Replies, 3,710,695 Views
Factual Local Bank Salaries - DBS... ( 1 2 3... Last Page)
370 Replies, 163,696 Views
SIM-UOL fresh grad starting pay ( 1 2 3... Last Page)
5,691 Replies, 1,513,549 Views
High Finance Thread ( 1 2 3... Last Page)
213 Replies, 57,218 Views
Engineer Pay ( 1 2 3... Last Page)
186 Replies, 77,939 Views
Civil Svc/ Statboard - Typical... ( 1 2 3... Last Page)
3,038 Replies, 1,388,423 Views
Career as Teacher ( 1 2 3... Last Page)
3,547 Replies, 2,150,825 Views
Roles in accenture singapore ( 1 2 3... Last Page)
1,201 Replies, 350,940 Views
AML/Compliance/KYC professionals... ( 1 2 3... Last Page)
1,420 Replies, 650,330 Views
GIC career ( 1 2 3... Last Page)
287 Replies, 401,108 Views
ST Electronics ( 1 2 3... Last Page)
1,931 Replies, 413,908 Views
How much are you earning per annum? ( 1 2 3... Last Page)
12,211 Replies, 4,074,740 Views
Anyone working in NTU... ( 1 2 3... Last Page)
104 Replies, 108,863 Views
Lendlease Graduate Program 2021... ( 1 2)
12 Replies, 2,115 Views
Asset Management Salary ( 1 2)
10 Replies, 656 Views
DBS tech seed programme ( 1 2 3... Last Page)
453 Replies, 98,534 Views
How much savings do you have? ( 1 2 3... Last Page)
1,309 Replies, 578,002 Views
Dsta ( 1 2 3... Last Page)
911 Replies, 646,097 Views
UBS Financial Services Industry... ( 1 2 3... Last Page)
181 Replies, 52,275 Views
Anyone work for Casino (RWS/MBS) ?... ( 1 2)
19 Replies, 19,548 Views
Compilation of MAs/Analysts Gross... ( 1 2 3... Last Page)
446 Replies, 103,977 Views
Job Offer Advise ( 1 2)
14 Replies, 1,189 Views
How is HTX Associate Programme...
8 Replies, 1,721 Views
DBS Graduate Associate Program ( 1 2 3... Last Page)
2,006 Replies, 469,604 Views
Powered by vBadvanced CMPS v3.2.2



All times are GMT +8. The time now is 07:17 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.5
Copyright ©2000 - 2021, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Content Relevant URLs by vBSEO 3.3.2