Fresh Engieering Diploma holder to continue Engineering or move to Finance ? - Salary.sg Forums
Salary.sg Forums  

Go Back   Salary.sg Forums > The Salary.sg Discussion Forums: > Education and Personal Growth

Education and Personal Growth Schools, further studies, getting ready for employment, and motivation stuff

Fresh Engieering Diploma holder to continue Engineering or move to Finance ?

Old 23-04-2010, 04:14 PM

sadsack is on a distinguished road
Default Fresh Engieering Diploma holder to continue Engineering or move to Finance ?

Hi all,

I am a fresh engineering diploma holder, finished NS and currently work for an MNC in the electronics company. I started working, not furthering my studies because I did not manage to get into a local university, as my poly results are only average.

After looking at the current situation in the electronics scene (low pay/raise, poor job prospects, excessive foreign talent), and all the disillusionment, regrets faced by the engineers who shared their experiences (efforts not recognised, undervalued, overworked) and all the threads by admin to get out of engineering, replies/discussion in the forum. I'm kinda demoralised and beginning to have my doubts whether I had made the right choice when I chose to study electronics engineering in polytechnic.

I initially wanted to further my studies at Unisim Electronics. I like the notion of creating something useful to improve the quality of life as what engineer would do. I also feel the satisfaction of resolving technical problems. But now, I can't see much future with electronics. Unisim still having some reputation problems from what I observe.

I wouldn't say I have passion or interest in engineering, its just a job to me. I would have gone for something if I can find an interest/passion in a particular field. Since the banking and finance sector is so highly rated now, I'm thinking of going for the degree in that subject. I don't think I wanna make the mistake like many of the people that posted here, and especially now that I'm still young. Recently, I'm also taking an interest in the finance subject, reading up on my own accord, seeing how money works and the world that revolves around it.

Should I at least switch to a different field, like Aerospace industry ? The government seem to be pushing for this right now, with WDA providing subsidies, and Unisim collaborating with Embry Riddle to give out degree courses. The aerospace MRO services sector seems viable in the long term, still having a booming record output even in the 2009 economic crisis. Or chemical engineering, working in the gas/oil industry ?

But I'm not sure if I'm cut out for the finance sector. What are the qualities and pre-requisites that I should have, knowing that the competition is stiff and environment is stressful and cut-throat ?I would say I'm just an average person with the average intelligence/aptitude. I have read that I need to be numerate and highly analytical to be in the finance line. That said, engineering is not easy either.

I humbly seek your advices and appreciate any help and clarifications that you would offer me.

Thanks !

Old 23-04-2010, 05:50 PM
Unregistered

Quote:
Originally Posted by sadsack View Post
Hi all,

I am a fresh engineering diploma holder, finished NS and currently work for an MNC in the electronics company. I started working, not furthering my studies because I did not manage to get into a local university, as my poly results are only average.

After looking at the current situation in the electronics scene (low pay/raise, poor job prospects, excessive foreign talent), and all the disillusionment, regrets faced by the engineers who shared their experiences (efforts not recognised, undervalued, overworked) and all the threads by admin to get out of engineering, replies/discussion in the forum. I'm kinda demoralised and beginning to have my doubts whether I had made the right choice when I chose to study electronics engineering in polytechnic.

I initially wanted to further my studies at Unisim Electronics. I like the notion of creating something useful to improve the quality of life as what engineer would do. I also feel the satisfaction of resolving technical problems. But now, I can't see much future with electronics. Unisim still having some reputation problems from what I observe.

I wouldn't say I have passion or interest in engineering, its just a job to me. I would have gone for something if I can find an interest/passion in a particular field. Since the banking and finance sector is so highly rated now, I'm thinking of going for the degree in that subject. I don't think I wanna make the mistake like many of the people that posted here, and especially now that I'm still young. Recently, I'm also taking an interest in the finance subject, reading up on my own accord, seeing how money works and the world that revolves around it.

Should I at least switch to a different field, like Aerospace industry ? The government seem to be pushing for this right now, with WDA providing subsidies, and Unisim collaborating with Embry Riddle to give out degree courses. The aerospace MRO services sector seems viable in the long term, still having a booming record output even in the 2009 economic crisis. Or chemical engineering, working in the gas/oil industry ?

But I'm not sure if I'm cut out for the finance sector. What are the qualities and pre-requisites that I should have, knowing that the competition is stiff and environment is stressful and cut-throat ?I would say I'm just an average person with the average intelligence/aptitude. I have read that I need to be numerate and highly analytical to be in the finance line. That said, engineering is not easy either.

I humbly seek your advices and appreciate any help and clarifications that you would offer me.

Thanks !
my advice: enroll in a business or finance related degree programme in UniSIM and aim to work for a bank - maybe start in operations and move your way up.

singapore is a finance hub, not an engineering hub. opportunities are abound if you work in the financial industry.

Old 23-04-2010, 10:06 PM
Unregistered

Quote:
I like the notion of creating something useful to improve the quality of life as what engineer would do.
Engineers earn low pay precisely because they are "creating something useful to improve the quality of life".

The people who earn the most are those who "create nothing useful" like litigation lawyers, or even more if they can "create destruction to world economy" like Lehman Brothers and friends.

Quote:
Should I at least switch to a different field, like Aerospace industry ? The government seem to be pushing for this right now
Those who follow the Government's advice end in grief.

Old 25-04-2010, 05:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Unregistered View Post
my advice: enroll in a business or finance related degree programme in UniSIM and aim to work for a bank - maybe start in operations and move your way up.

singapore is a finance hub, not an engineering hub. opportunities are abound if you work in the financial industry.
Thanks for the advice. May I ask on what the job prospects and opportunities are there in the financial industry? Is there any job security in this line ? Or the 'expiry date' is even faster ?

From what I know and correct me if I'm wrong, there are many people stuck in the back end operations finding it hard to move to the front office. This may come from oversaturation because of too many people have general biz and finance degree and they all join this hot industry. And a there is huge pay difference that separates them. These back office people only earn a pay comparable to the average engineer, but even more overworked and unrecognised ?
Old 25-04-2010, 08:49 PM

Quote:
Engineers earn low pay precisely because they are "creating something useful to improve the quality of life".

The people who earn the most are those who "create nothing useful" like litigation lawyers, or even more if they can "create destruction to world economy" like Lehman Brothers and friends.

Those who follow the Government's advice end in grief.
Thanks for the advice and being so frank. Maybe opportunities for opportunites in future may not be in singapore. I found out from googling the web that many aerospace engineers are heading to places like Dubai where there easily earn twice the pay in singapore and tax free. Not really sure whether they are true though.

Even without the government encouragement, the aerospace do look promising right now, with Rolls Royce, Pratt setting up new plants in the coming Seletar Airhub.

Would anyone like to share their views ?
Old 29-04-2010, 11:18 AM

..........................bumpz~

Old 05-05-2010, 12:11 AM
Unregistered

easy. wan scam people money earn big bucks go finance. wan have a decent livelihood stay in engineering.
Old 14-06-2010, 10:19 PM
Unregistered

wow, what a sound advice.

That's what I find puzzling about this forum. Everytime somebody ask a serious and thought out question. It often goes ignored. If not it get replies like "easy. wan scam people money earn big bucks go finance."

WTH was that ?! Do you know how dumb that sounds ? I pity you.

To the starter, there are many people doing back end jobs in finance and earn wages comparable to the average engineer. I'll choose something I enjoy and excel in then spend the rest of uni time building up strong networks cause thats what matter, and enjoying that phase in life.
Old 15-06-2010, 10:02 AM
Unregistered

Quote:
wow, what a sound advice.

That's what I find puzzling about this forum. Everytime somebody ask a serious and thought out question. It often goes ignored. If not it get replies like "easy. wan scam people money earn big bucks go finance."

WTH was that ?! Do you know how dumb that sounds ? I pity you.

To the starter, there are many people doing back end jobs in finance and earn wages comparable to the average engineer. I'll choose something I enjoy and excel in then spend the rest of uni time building up strong networks cause thats what matter, and enjoying that phase in life.
I would say the income growth potential of those people doing "back end jobs in finance" is higher. A poly classmate of mine started in operations and is now a credit risk vp earning $150k. She's in her mid-thirties. Pretty impressive for a diploma holder. On the other hand, all my engineering classmates (also dip holders) are not even making half that amount. How much can an engineer earn in Singapore?
Old 20-07-2010, 08:33 PM
Unregistered

Default Curious

Hi, then how about housing agent?