Fresh Engieering Diploma holder to continue Engineering or move to Finance ? - Page 2 - Salary.sg Forums
Salary.sg Forums  

Go Back   Salary.sg Forums > The Salary.sg Discussion Forums: > Education and Personal Growth

Education and Personal Growth Schools, further studies, getting ready for employment, and motivation stuff




Fresh Engieering Diploma holder to continue Engineering or move to Finance ?

Reply
 
Thread Tools
  #11 (permalink)  
Old 21-07-2010, 02:38 AM
Unregistered
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Unregistered View Post
How much can an engineer earn in Singapore?
It is a common misconception that this phenomenon is unique to Singapore.

You can check up the annual income of chief engineers in the West and they don't go much above the low six-figures, whether measured in USD or SGD.

The reason even the best engineers cannot earn much is because their income is hampered by idiots.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Unregistered View Post
Hi, then how about housing agent?
In terms of the total pot of money in each profession, there is not much difference between the housing estate and engineering professions.

However, whereas engineering is egalitarian in nature whereby the pot of gold is shared almost equally by all engineers, including the idiots, there is no money for idiotic housing agents.

The housing estate profession has a capitalist remuneration structure based on Adam Smith's "invisible hand", similar to that of insurance agents and traders.

For people who are worldly wise and thrive in the more competitive professions, the housing estate profession provides an opportunity where the sky is the limit.

The downside of this is that, just as the "invisible hand" will turn a shrewd agent into a multimillionaire, it will also strangle those who cannot close deals.

Reply With Quote
  #12 (permalink)  
Old 21-07-2010, 10:43 AM
Unregistered
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Unregistered View Post
It is a common misconception that this phenomenon is unique to Singapore.

You can check up the annual income of chief engineers in the West and they don't go much above the low six-figures, whether measured in USD or SGD.

The reason even the best engineers cannot earn much is because their income is hampered by idiots.

...

For people who are worldly wise and thrive in the more competitive professions, the housing estate profession provides an opportunity where the sky is the limit.

The downside of this is that, just as the "invisible hand" will turn a shrewd agent into a multimillionaire, it will also strangle those who cannot close deals.
Then the best engineers should learn to be more worldly wise and more shrewd to take advantage of the capitalistic nature of the world they live in. If money is what they want, learn to be like Steve Jobs rather than Stephen Hawking. Otherwise, they should just shut up and accept their average pay, or contribute to the world in a totally different way like Stephen Hawking.

Reply With Quote
  #13 (permalink)  
Old 22-07-2010, 01:50 AM
Unregistered
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Default

I think there is a misconception between earning power and potential earning power here.

Out of 10 people doing the "backend job in Finance", how many is becoming a VP? Similary, out of 10 engineers, how many is able to lead the company to become a VP?

I know some VPs of government-link companies that started out as engineers. Based on the annual report, they are all earning >250k. They do not become VPs because they studied engineering or finance. It is because their ability to run the company.



SG BusLeh mobile app
SG BusLeh - the best bus app - available on iPhone and Android


SGX Stocks Android App - check share prices
SGX Stocks [Android] App - check latest share prices on the go


SGX Stocks for iPad - check latest Singapore share prices
SGX Stocks [iPad] app
| SGX Stocks [iPhone] app
Reply With Quote
  #14 (permalink)  
Old 22-07-2010, 02:12 AM
Unregistered
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Unregistered View Post
I think there is a misconception between earning power and potential earning power here.

Out of 10 people doing the "backend job in Finance", how many is becoming a VP? Similary, out of 10 engineers, how many is able to lead the company to become a VP?

I know some VPs of government-link companies that started out as engineers. Based on the annual report, they are all earning >250k. They do not become VPs because they studied engineering or finance. It is because their ability to run the company.
You mean CEOs? VPs are a dime a dozen everywhere.
Reply With Quote
  #15 (permalink)  
Old 22-07-2010, 03:25 AM
Unregistered
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Unregistered View Post
I think there is a misconception between earning power and potential earning power here.

Out of 10 people doing the "backend job in Finance", how many is becoming a VP? Similary, out of 10 engineers, how many is able to lead the company to become a VP?

I know some VPs of government-link companies that started out as engineers. Based on the annual report, they are all earning >250k. They do not become VPs because they studied engineering or finance. It is because their ability to run the company.
You are one of the very few people here who can distinguish between the two. I call them acquired and inherent earning power.

Acquired power is conferred upon a person by his training; whereas inherent power is inborn. One needs to depend on his acquired power only if his inherent power is lower.

Those engineering-trained VPs whom you mention above obviously have inherent abilities that have outgrown their engineering background. For such people, it doesn't really matter what they studied, be it engineering, finance, or even mathematics!

Obviously, the CEO of Keppel Corp MR. Choo Chiau Beng, who appeared in the papers recently extolling the virtues of his engineering training, has inherent ability far beyond the acquired power conferred by his engineering training. It would be quite amusing if anyone, after reading his interview, thinks that studying engineering leads to jobs that pay $11.75 million per year!

On the other hand, for engineers with low or even negative inherent earning power, getting an engineering job that pays a five-figure annual sum would be better than running their own company to the ground.
Reply With Quote
  #16 (permalink)  
Old 22-07-2010, 11:42 AM
Unregistered
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Unregistered View Post
You are one of the very few people here who can distinguish between the two. I call them acquired and inherent earning power.

Acquired power is conferred upon a person by his training; whereas inherent power is inborn. One needs to depend on his acquired power only if his inherent power is lower.

Those engineering-trained VPs whom you mention above obviously have inherent abilities that have outgrown their engineering background. For such people, it doesn't really matter what they studied, be it engineering, finance, or even mathematics!

Obviously, the CEO of Keppel Corp MR. Choo Chiau Beng, who appeared in the papers recently extolling the virtues of his engineering training, has inherent ability far beyond the acquired power conferred by his engineering training. It would be quite amusing if anyone, after reading his interview, thinks that studying engineering leads to jobs that pay $11.75 million per year!

On the other hand, for engineers with low or even negative inherent earning power, getting an engineering job that pays a five-figure annual sum would be better than running their own company to the ground.
I'm not that guy you quoted, but I agree with you generally.

However, since not everyone is an elite, I would like to shift the focus of this discussion to talk about target careers for the average guy.

I'm of the opinion that for an average graduate in Singapore, it's better to work in the "right" industry.

Let's not talk about the financial industry as it's been talked about to death. (Conclusion: it's lucrative. )

There are other examples I can think of: the average graduate who became an average property agent will earn more than his counterpart who's now an average engineer.
Reply With Quote

  #17 (permalink)  
Old 30-08-2010, 11:31 PM
beep
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Default

Hey, I would like to use this thread to settle a query.

Presently I hold an engineering diploma, and is intending to change my field of study to the business/finance sector. I already gotten a spot in one of the local uni.

I just worried that if the transition in between the fields going to affect me much; like lost in the transition, lagging behind my peers, as I do not have any foundation compared to A'level grads and business diploma grads.
Reply With Quote
  #18 (permalink)  
Old 20-09-2010, 01:48 AM
chocobo244
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Default Engineering degree

Yes,

An engineer in Singapore works more than 40 hours per week, with pay lesser than banker and financial advisors. I also have some enquiry for people to upgrade the diploma to degree to get higher pay in engineering field.

If you are keen to know more, do let me know and will send you more details.

Regards
Chocobo,
Reply With Quote
  #19 (permalink)  
Old 21-09-2010, 07:55 PM
Unregistered
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Default Engineer Pay

Goto smrt website read the annual report. The very most engineering company in Spore.

The top 6 earners only 1 engineer and he did it at very old age of 62. The youngest is of course the Acct grad, only 39, her pay already more than 700k. hehehehe

Engineering is doom, believe it or not, unless you engineer your own company lah..... They are emphasising on the ENTREPRENEUR module.... stress and highlight and emphasis again and again.


SG BusLeh mobile app
SG BusLeh - the best bus app - available on iPhone and Android


SGX Stocks Android App - check share prices
SGX Stocks [Android] App - check latest share prices on the go


SGX Stocks for iPad - check latest Singapore share prices
SGX Stocks [iPad] app
| SGX Stocks [iPhone] app
Reply With Quote
  #20 (permalink)  
Old 30-10-2010, 09:37 AM
Unregistered
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Default

Is this true
Reply With Quote
Reply

Bookmarks

Tags
banking, diploma, engineering, finance

« Previous Thread | Next Thread »
Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are Off


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Diploma holders - your Income is just two-thirds of Degree holders Salary.sg Income and Jobs 19 09-04-2011 04:29 AM
Aerospace Engineering vs Computer Engineering vs EE engineering john Education and Personal Growth 30 14-07-2010 04:11 AM
SMU Fresh Grads Make $4k to $10k Salary.sg Income and Jobs 140 04-06-2010 07:42 PM
Finance or Engineering? momojojo Education and Personal Growth 7 21-07-2009 07:19 PM
Property Prices Continue To Rise Salary.sg Investments and Net Worth 5 06-04-2008 03:20 AM

» 30 Recent Threads
Compare civil service salary ( 1 2 3... Last Page)
8,947 Replies, 5,183,239 Views
Civil Service Performance Bonus ( 1 2 3... Last Page)
1,280 Replies, 1,034,152 Views
Which degree is the best return on... ( 1 2 3... Last Page)
55 Replies, 10,342 Views
Enterprise Singapore hiriing... ( 1 2 3... Last Page)
31 Replies, 15,785 Views
Exxon Mobil Equipment tech or... ( 1 2 3... Last Page)
1,779 Replies, 494,864 Views
Pacific Refreshments - The Coca...
3 Replies, 337 Views
Stat board tiers ( 1 2 3... Last Page)
53 Replies, 26,125 Views
Cost of living in singapore will... ( 1 2)
17 Replies, 4,039 Views
anyone working at NCS ? ( 1 2 3... Last Page)
341 Replies, 260,226 Views
OCBC Graduate Talent Programme... ( 1 2 3... Last Page)
189 Replies, 60,309 Views
Pay for digital marketing agencies
5 Replies, 1,570 Views
Civil Svc/ Statboard - Typical... ( 1 2 3... Last Page)
1,791 Replies, 841,270 Views
Job offer from Apple ( 1 2 3... Last Page)
332 Replies, 58,255 Views
Schneider Electric - EGP (Grad... ( 1 2 3... Last Page)
54 Replies, 15,648 Views
Lawyer Salary ( 1 2 3... Last Page)
4,875 Replies, 2,126,513 Views
Anyone work for Casino (RWS/MBS) ?... ( 1 2)
14 Replies, 5,390 Views
DBS Management Associate Program... ( 1 2 3... Last Page)
1,174 Replies, 206,168 Views
MINDEF DXO (All FAQ on it) ( 1 2 3... Last Page)
2,908 Replies, 1,761,008 Views
Bad times?
9 Replies, 964 Views
Standard Chartered International... ( 1 2 3... Last Page)
53 Replies, 50,746 Views
DBS Graduate Associate Program ( 1 2 3... Last Page)
616 Replies, 312,717 Views
DBS BANK Interview replies ( 1 2 3... Last Page)
423 Replies, 252,606 Views
Working at Changi Business Park ( 1 2)
16 Replies, 1,683 Views
UBS Graduate Talent Program ( 1 2 3)
27 Replies, 20,680 Views
Mother looking for a job ( 1 2)
10 Replies, 956 Views
Career as Teacher ( 1 2 3... Last Page)
2,062 Replies, 1,393,964 Views
Anyone jobless for a long time... ( 1 2 3... Last Page)
2,606 Replies, 983,875 Views
ST Electronics ( 1 2 3... Last Page)
388 Replies, 173,626 Views
Whats your net worth ( 1 2 3... Last Page)
2,688 Replies, 758,780 Views
Powered by vBadvanced CMPS v3.2.2



All times are GMT +8. The time now is 01:12 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.5
Copyright ©2000 - 2020, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Content Relevant URLs by vBSEO 3.3.2