Doing a masters in local vs private/foreign universities - Salary.sg Forums
Salary.sg Forums  

Go Back   Salary.sg Forums > The Salary.sg Discussion Forums: > Education and Personal Growth

Education and Personal Growth Schools, further studies, getting ready for employment, and motivation stuff

Doing a masters in local vs private/foreign universities

Old 19-06-2010, 02:58 AM

momojojo is on a distinguished road
Default Doing a masters in local vs private/foreign universities

The masters programmes in local universities (ie SMU, NTU, NUS) for management as well as finance courses (ie MSc Finance, MSc Management, EXCLUDING MBa) seem to be significantly costlier than those of foreign/private universities (ie National University of Ireland offered by Kaplan & others). The entry requirements seem to be higher for the local universities too. In fact, many of the masters offered by private/foreign universities do not require a GMAT/GRE score.

However, based on my conversations with hiring managers, the advantage of having a local masters does not seem to be very significant. Do you guys think this is remotely possible? Being a local university student from undergrad to post grad, I must say that I find certain truth in that. The career progression seems rather similar for folks who possess a private/foreign uni masters. If so, then what is the use of having costlier school fees and higher entry requirements?

Old 19-06-2010, 02:30 PM
Unregistered

someone wrote this a while back and I am pasting this for your benefit.
I thought it made a lot of sense. It doesn't answer your questions directly but it does answer part of it. My personal view on this is:
1) do a local post-grad if you think your future is in Singapore. I personally think opportunities are limited in tiny singapore market. There will be exceptions for certain professions, like doctors, lawyers etc.
2) if you want to a foreign program, don't do those cheap UK/US, no GMAT requirements, from lesss well known programs. Go for good ones, preferrably top ones in US or Europe and be prepared to work abroad to maximize your ROI and gain valuable overseas experience.

"I have been reading some of the postings on whether it is worth pursuing an MBA/EMBA. The responses ranges from complete waste of time to best experience of your life. Like everything else in life, the truth is normally somewhere in between and it is up to you to make the most of it. I am now in my 40s, I have an MBA from IMD and attended a few executive programs from Harvard, Wharton and Stanford. I want share some of observations which I hope will be useful to most of you:

1) from an intellectual pursuit standpoint, doing a program with a good school is a fantastic experience. One of the commonly ignored benefit of doing a program like an MBA or EMBA is that it challenges your current thinking and helps you to realize that there are other opportunities beyond your narrow line of work. (IT, accounting,engineering etc)

2) one of the benefit of doing a program outside of Singapore, is that you need to challenge everything your professor teaches you. In another words, they are not Gods. You think for yourself and arrive at your own conclusion. For a singaporean schooled in our strait-jacket type of education here, it was a liberating experience. There will be professors who are idiots and there will be inspirational ones. You should leave the program not arm with models and tools but with an attitude and passion for learning and to know that there is no 'right' or 'one way' to solve challenges in any organisation. Most of time, you are training to be a better decision maker.

3) for those who have been working for more than 10 years, my advice is to do an EMBA. However, the probability of switching career (say from IT to banking) is very low. But it will enhance your current experience and help you move to a more global organization if you are prepared to get your ass out of Singapore. If you are planning to spend that kind of money, you have to be prepared to work for large corporation and be willing to be based anywhere. If not, why bother. Part of the reason why ROI is low for many programs is that many students focus only in the Singapore market. Singapore is too small a market. Which is why it is worth it to do a program with international standing where if you were to step off an airport in any country, you won't get strange reception like "where is NUS?"

4) for career switchers, start early. If you cross 32, it becomes challenging.

5) on networking, I think it is overrated. Instead try to establish meaningful friendships which will last a lifetime.

6) For me, post MBA, I couldn't wait to get out of Singapore. The pay was good and I have never looked back. However, I have seen people who don't do well post MBA. Most of time, the people who do the program for the wrong reasons, will likely leave the program with unrealistic expectations and confusing aspirations.

7) A lot of questions on this post are question like "should i do an MBA?", "should I do a phd/dba", "should I do an NTU program"? To me, everyone is asking the wrong questions. Like everything else, it depends. It depends on what you want to do afterwards. If your plan is to increase your pay, get a good global career, then do a program from a good international school (you can easily cross out NUS/NTU). If you plan is to stay in Singapore, your ROI is going to be low anyway, so, pick a well recognised program in Singapore. The problem with most people is that they want to switch careers, stay in singapore, get a high pay and get a high ROI. If that is your expectation, then it doesn't really matter what program you do, it is unlikely you will meet all your needs.

In conclusion, an MBA/EMBA is worth it and ROI is good if you are willing to make some changes yourself and be clear why you are doing it in the first place. Good luck to all. "

Old 19-06-2010, 03:40 PM
Unregistered

Nothing is as loser as doing a postgrad thinking that it will increase your market value and after a couple of interview, you find out that all the offer sucks. They pay even lower than what you are drawing now.

Sounds like a real loser right? Well, it happened to me. No, I am not changing a career, just doing something in a different capacity.

Old 19-06-2010, 11:51 PM
Unregistered

Quote:
Originally Posted by Unregistered View Post
Nothing is as loser as doing a postgrad thinking that it will increase your market value and after a couple of interview, you find out that all the offer sucks. They pay even lower than what you are drawing now.

Sounds like a real loser right? Well, it happened to me. No, I am not changing a career, just doing something in a different capacity.
Or it could mean you are currently overpaid. Enjoy while it lasts.
Old 20-06-2010, 02:55 AM
Unregistered

Quote:

Obviously so.

Postgrad degrees are for those who did not have enough time to finish their undergrad exams to show the world that they now have all the time in the world.

Would advertising sponsors pay more to an athlete who can run 100 m below 10 s, or one who can run 100 rounds around Singapore until his soles drop off?

Primary School English Grammar and Vocabulary Drills
Primary School English Grammar and Vocabulary Drills

SG Bus Timing App
SG Bus Timing App - the best bus app - available on iOS and Android

Bursa Stocks Android App - check share prices
Bursa Stocks [Android] App - check latest share prices on the go

SGX Stocks Android App - check share prices
SGX Stocks [Android] App - check latest share prices on the go

SGX Stocks for iPad - check latest Singapore share prices
SGX Stocks [iPad] app
| SGX Stocks [iPhone] app
Old 20-06-2010, 04:07 PM
Unregistered

For me, I always think that dont waste money with local MBAs (no matter how they are ranked by FT or any BS magazines).

You want to spend so much money to pursue a MBA, make sure u get the best.

Old 20-06-2010, 11:58 PM

momojojo is on a distinguished road

Quote:
someone wrote this a while back and I am pasting this for your benefit.
I thought it made a lot of sense. It doesn't answer your questions directly but it does answer part of it. My personal view on this is:
1) do a local post-grad if you think your future is in Singapore. I personally think opportunities are limited in tiny singapore market. There will be exceptions for certain professions, like doctors, lawyers etc.
2) if you want to a foreign program, don't do those cheap UK/US, no GMAT requirements, from lesss well known programs. Go for good ones, preferrably top ones in US or Europe and be prepared to work abroad to maximize your ROI and gain valuable overseas experience.

"I have been reading some of the postings on whether it is worth pursuing an MBA/EMBA. The responses ranges from complete waste of time to best experience of your life. Like everything else in life, the truth is normally somewhere in between and it is up to you to make the most of it. I am now in my 40s, I have an MBA from IMD and attended a few executive programs from Harvard, Wharton and Stanford. I want share some of observations which I hope will be useful to most of you:

1) from an intellectual pursuit standpoint, doing a program with a good school is a fantastic experience. One of the commonly ignored benefit of doing a program like an MBA or EMBA is that it challenges your current thinking and helps you to realize that there are other opportunities beyond your narrow line of work. (IT, accounting,engineering etc)

2) one of the benefit of doing a program outside of Singapore, is that you need to challenge everything your professor teaches you. In another words, they are not Gods. You think for yourself and arrive at your own conclusion. For a singaporean schooled in our strait-jacket type of education here, it was a liberating experience. There will be professors who are idiots and there will be inspirational ones. You should leave the program not arm with models and tools but with an attitude and passion for learning and to know that there is no 'right' or 'one way' to solve challenges in any organisation. Most of time, you are training to be a better decision maker.

3) for those who have been working for more than 10 years, my advice is to do an EMBA. However, the probability of switching career (say from IT to banking) is very low. But it will enhance your current experience and help you move to a more global organization if you are prepared to get your ass out of Singapore. If you are planning to spend that kind of money, you have to be prepared to work for large corporation and be willing to be based anywhere. If not, why bother. Part of the reason why ROI is low for many programs is that many students focus only in the Singapore market. Singapore is too small a market. Which is why it is worth it to do a program with international standing where if you were to step off an airport in any country, you won't get strange reception like "where is NUS?"

4) for career switchers, start early. If you cross 32, it becomes challenging.

5) on networking, I think it is overrated. Instead try to establish meaningful friendships which will last a lifetime.

6) For me, post MBA, I couldn't wait to get out of Singapore. The pay was good and I have never looked back. However, I have seen people who don't do well post MBA. Most of time, the people who do the program for the wrong reasons, will likely leave the program with unrealistic expectations and confusing aspirations.

7) A lot of questions on this post are question like "should i do an MBA?", "should I do a phd/dba", "should I do an NTU program"? To me, everyone is asking the wrong questions. Like everything else, it depends. It depends on what you want to do afterwards. If your plan is to increase your pay, get a good global career, then do a program from a good international school (you can easily cross out NUS/NTU). If you plan is to stay in Singapore, your ROI is going to be low anyway, so, pick a well recognised program in Singapore. The problem with most people is that they want to switch careers, stay in singapore, get a high pay and get a high ROI. If that is your expectation, then it doesn't really matter what program you do, it is unlikely you will meet all your needs.

In conclusion, an MBA/EMBA is worth it and ROI is good if you are willing to make some changes yourself and be clear why you are doing it in the first place. Good luck to all. "
This is some really good stuff here and I really appreciate your response!
Old 22-06-2010, 07:51 AM
Local Master

Default Becareful where you get your masters ...

I have a feeling that there are few countries who have commercialized education quiet well that you get a degree for attending the school (or spending your money in that country).

I would put Australia, UK in this category; unless you come from the top schools in those countries i doubt the degree will be valued.
Old 18-08-2010, 12:49 AM
DLJ

Quote:
Or it could mean you are currently overpaid. Enjoy while it lasts.

You're an idiot. The guy who went to IMD pretty much summed it up.