Aircraft Maintenance License and Courses - Page 66 - Salary.sg Forums
Salary.sg Forums  

Go Back   Salary.sg Forums > The Salary.sg Discussion Forums: > Education and Personal Growth

Education and Personal Growth Schools, further studies, getting ready for employment, and motivation stuff

Aircraft Maintenance License and Courses

Old 12-06-2021, 12:45 AM
Unregistered

Quote:
Originally Posted by Unregistered View Post
Aviation industry is very dynamic. One day it booms like hell and another i slumps to the ground. But nonetheless air travel is a very much needed commodity.

Yes no doubt aviation was hit hard, and several airline even closed shop. (eg. Aus tigerair)

Different companies adapt and strategise differently. From paycuts to reshuffling of manpower throughout the company, forced leave, no pay leaves, to even manpower layoffs (for companies which cant really stay afloat with current manpower headcount)

I strongly believe, like most aviation personnel that, one day we will come out stronger. But it is not that soon. Perhaps another 3-5 years? That depends on the worldwide handling of this pandemic.

Anyways, what do you want to be, working in the aviation industry?

I wanna join siaec as trainee technician but i only have a ite cert as siaec asks for diploma for trainee tech. So maybe i will go for other companies like st aero or saesl.

Btw is anyone working in saesl? Hows the training and bond like? Is it worth to sign for 5 years bond in saesl?

Old 25-06-2021, 09:36 PM
Unregistered

Default Dont join the Aerospace industry

Hello to all aspiring engineers/technicians

for those who wanna become a aircraft engineer/tech, this is a dying trade. pay is like ****, irregular hours. new modern aircraft like the B787, A350 requires lesser man hours of maintenance as compared to last time. lesser man hours of maintenance means lesser money for companies that deals with maintenance of aircraft. E.g SIAEc.

the path to become a aircraft engineer is a long one. engineer route 3 years plus to train, 5 years bond thereafter. technicians 1 year of training. TBH, technicians no need to train. all train at school all return to school when u go to the field. because most of the senior tech dont even follow the manuals. any tom dick n harry can also do the job. u can ask any worker outside or kid to help u also can finished the job. it is what it is.

i dont want to name the company, this particular company im in SI*** only cares about profit, extremely toxic working environment culture. not a single damn is given to workers welfare. pls avoid at all cost. my passion for aviation is diminished bacause of how this company is treating workers.

Old 27-06-2021, 09:49 PM
Unregistered

Quote:
Hello to all aspiring engineers/technicians

for those who wanna become a aircraft engineer/tech, this is a dying trade. pay is like ****, irregular hours. new modern aircraft like the B787, A350 requires lesser man hours of maintenance as compared to last time. lesser man hours of maintenance means lesser money for companies that deals with maintenance of aircraft. E.g SIAEc.

the path to become a aircraft engineer is a long one. engineer route 3 years plus to train, 5 years bond thereafter. technicians 1 year of training. TBH, technicians no need to train. all train at school all return to school when u go to the field. because most of the senior tech dont even follow the manuals. any tom dick n harry can also do the job. u can ask any worker outside or kid to help u also can finished the job. it is what it is.

i dont want to name the company, this particular company im in SI*** only cares about profit, extremely toxic working environment culture. not a single damn is given to workers welfare. pls avoid at all cost. my passion for aviation is diminished bacause of how this company is treating workers.
Ditto on what you've mentioned. In S* its worst off for the engineers, 2.5 years +/- to train, 2 years +/- soe, another 1 to 2 years of waiting for the interviews and company authorisation to become an LAE; there is simply too many engineers and too little technicians out there.

For the people who wanted to join as technicians, be prepared to work with people from everywhere around the world, ph, cn, hk, tw, my, pakistan and etc. You will be suffering with them, but the thing is they can go back their homeland and build big mansions and buy a few car, and as for you, your pay cant even afford a bto or get married. Then you will start comparing with your peers from other industry. Majority of the sgreans technician i know left the industry after a few years, so no point wasting your time. Now the semi-con industry is rising, if you want $ go there, if you want passion, it's your choice; but don't complain and compare afterwards and say that there is no equality.

I don't know how it's like in the current GA and ENG sector so I have no say in it.

Old 27-06-2021, 10:00 PM
Unregistered

Quote:
Diploma, St upon attaining LAE, 4.5k??
Where u get that info?

Hmm
It's after 8 years. Not upon attaining LAE get 4.5k, maybe 20 years ago with all the various packages and incentives haha!
Old 30-06-2021, 09:16 AM
Unregistered

Has anyone here in aerospace sector has made a career change to a different field? Is it worth to stay in aerospace sector?
Old 30-06-2021, 05:58 PM
Unregistered

Question part time studies

Hi, i want to study part time degree while working as a technician. Does aviation companies allow us do that? cuz as technicians are required to work rotating shifts.

Old 02-07-2021, 12:18 PM
Unregistered

Just a curiosity anyone working as a LAE in SIAEC able to give a breakdown of hows the training its like during the 44months? I heard the starting pay for trainee is 2500, is there increment every year during the training? Do u have to work shift during the training?
Old 28-07-2021, 04:52 PM
Unregistered

Red face

Quote:
Just a curiosity anyone working as a LAE in SIAEC able to give a breakdown of hows the training its like during the 44months? I heard the starting pay for trainee is 2500, is there increment every year during the training? Do u have to work shift during the training?
Hi, may i know whats ur main reason for wanting to join this industry?
Old 28-07-2021, 05:22 PM
Unregistered

Default Do not join the aviation industry just because you are passionate about it.

Good day to all,
Here I am doing something which I did not sign up for in the first place. I join S**EC near end 2019. My goal is to become a certified tech with type ratings, for example for certain engine type or aircraft types. (Joined as Trainee Tech, 1 year of training).(3 year bond)
Managed to passed all modules on the first try. Completed my OJT, and was very excited to start working on a real aircraft. Got a real passion for aviation, all the different types of aircraft i can recognise just by one look.

In the midst of my OJT, unfortunately Covid-19 hits Singapore. And before we even passed out as a fully trained technician, we were told that we are gonna be transferred to the office to do admin work. We were devastated.
This is something we got zero control over it. All contract workers n foreigners were being sent back to their own country. Massive cut cost measures were implemented to preserve the business and cash flow. Alot of initiatives were also undertaken during this period of time such as Lean transformation etc.

Since we were trained as technicians, and collected our OJT experience for almost one year, being transferred to the office to do data entry stuff is not exactly what we expect. Not trying to discredit or demeaning the work we do in the office even though it is still aviation related. Entry of tech log into SAP, checking of hrs etc. Think it negatively we can say it is just data entry. Think it positively, we can say that we learn new things.

What we have trained for a year has been wasted. Now working in the office doing work we did not signed up to. We were being transferred to the office to replace those foreign workers who were being send back. So in a sense, they (the company) just throw us into the office.
So what we learnt for the past 1 year at training school? So as to work in the office? The office work we are doing, any intern or other tom dick n harry are able to do it. No need to train for one year. Base and line maintenance personnel mentioned they need more technicians, so why not transfer us to hangar or line, where we can put our skills to use. Now it is already close to 1 year working in the office. 1 year of time wasted.

Now im close to working in the office for one year. What have i gained? To be honest nothing much. Data entry and my first year exp of training which counts to nothing in the aviation world. What counts is type ratings, engine type training in the outside world.

Of cos the company (S**EC) can say that it is becos of COVID 19, so no choice etc. Thats why we are being transferred from maintenance( in the field) to working in the office.
We have no say in everything. We got no options to leave also. 3 years bond. Pay like ****. Bring home only 1.5k sgd.

Lesson learnt, even if u are so passionate about aircraft maintenance/ engineering please you also have to think about the financial side. And also the company dont give a flying **** about employees. To them, protecting the business is all it matters, maintaining the image. We are so replaceable. My passion for aircraft is still alive, but I would never ever wanna work for this company or any other company like this again where not a single damn is given about u.
Old 29-07-2021, 09:48 AM
Unregistered

Quote:
There is no accurate and current answer to this.

From what I've heard, there have been no trainee programmes in recent years, while LAE and tech trainees in training are transferred to office jobs like a/c planner, etc.

The LAEs in SIAEC couldn't give you an accurate answer because different batches have different pay packages, benefits, increments, bonuses & entry requirements. That's a common misconception that all newer batches should and would get the same benefits as the seniors or even relic LAEs.