Aircraft Maintenance License and Courses - Page 65 - Salary.sg Forums
Salary.sg Forums  

Go Back   Salary.sg Forums > The Salary.sg Discussion Forums: > Education and Personal Growth

Education and Personal Growth Schools, further studies, getting ready for employment, and motivation stuff

Aircraft Maintenance License and Courses

Old 05-09-2020, 01:51 PM
Jeffrey

Default LAE prospects

Quote:
Originally Posted by Unregistered View Post
I was in this dilemma too. I took a degree and didn't guarantee a job. Join a apprenticeship program and I feel that I should have just join without degree. My ot pay plus my allowance can beat those ntu students who join the SIA program. However now I'm in SIAEC, we are not doing well either. So yeah, aviation itself is not doing well. I would suggest students to be an engineer in the workshop level. They are paid more. I know of a workshop engineer earning 10k per mth. If AFM will earn even more.
Did you join as a trainee LAE? Are u a LAE now? Recently i've seen a number of NTU/NUS engineering grads joining as senior technician in SIAEC and working their way up to LAE.

Old 21-09-2020, 05:53 AM
Unregistered

Unhappy

Quote:
Originally Posted by LAE View Post
cause if you are a lae, you should know that you cannot sign military a/c
Ya. But thing can be done for them to make u sign. They will send u to course a month or 2 with ojt. But, I really dun like the military working style.

Old 06-12-2020, 10:41 AM
Unregistered

Hey guys if one is working as a technician, then the company wants to promote him to LAE, he has to through the 4 years training all over right, even though he has many years of working as a technician?

Old 09-12-2020, 10:20 PM
Unregistered

Quote:
Hey guys if one is working as a technician, then the company wants to promote him to LAE, he has to through the 4 years training all over right, even though he has many years of working as a technician?
don't think need re-training, probably a few years of work schedule collecting and pass all basic cat b papers and internal interviews.
Old 10-01-2021, 04:45 AM
Unregistered

Wink

lae is a tough job la. if got degree better join aviation as a white collar engineer, tech service...etc don't waste time and undergo the 4 years training. even pass out with overtime how much u can get. For those diploma if no intention for Uni then can join st, but after 8 years the basic about 4.5k... u need to OT to really see the money... throughout lae if u kanna quality investigation or slack or blackmark, that it liao... it stay with u throughout your career in company.. out of 30 or 40 lae maybe 1 get chance to move higher up.. seriously how many lae is really needed in the industries.. past 5 to 6 years sg have been chunking out lae non stop... when there numbers, there's no more reason for good salary...
Old 23-01-2021, 11:58 AM
Unregistered

Default Lae a long and tough road to success....

Quote:
lae is a tough job la. if got degree better join aviation as a white collar engineer, tech service...etc don't waste time and undergo the 4 years training. even pass out with overtime how much u can get. For those diploma if no intention for Uni then can join st, but after 8 years the basic about 4.5k... u need to OT to really see the money... throughout lae if u kanna quality investigation or slack or blackmark, that it liao... it stay with u throughout your career in company.. out of 30 or 40 lae maybe 1 get chance to move higher up.. seriously how many lae is really needed in the industries.. past 5 to 6 years sg have been chunking out lae non stop... when there numbers, there's no more reason for good salary...

Yes u r right.... I agree with wad u and Jeff had mentioned earlier in this thread... I personally know of few friends who are lae...

If u a fresh grad from uni, go work in other jobs better... Even in civil service, after 2-3 years of work and job hopping will be able to hit at least 5k already....

Jus like I got a friend working as ndt technician who's a degree holder, drawing a salary of low $2k+ monthly... It's also a long journey to attaining ur experience, certifications and earning a good salary...

In fact, for aviation industry, they dun need so many engineers and LAE... Go ask around those ppl working in mro they will tell u more... There are also not many good jobs for fresh uni grads...

Old 12-05-2021, 11:53 AM
Unregistered

Red face U sure?

First of all, a very important note to "aspiring" LAEs.

It is not a glamorous job, although the job title sounds nice.
It is a dirty, hands on job, messing around with hazardous chemical, even carcinogen chemicals. Hydraulic, MEK, MIBK, EO, ANTI-SEIZE just to name a few.

Oh, you dont mind?

Then picture this, daily targets to meet (most of the time, almost ridiculous target set by the PM just to meet the TAT and to please customers.
O.T just to meet the above statement.
Take care of men and deployment.
Men nvr come to work and lack of manpower to finish the job
Customer complains, juggling the work and management.

Hazardous working conditions that may lead to injury (death even if super careless)
Once injured, blackmarked lol.

Nowadays maintenance packages are trimmed in terms of TAT, while still having the same low manpower. Just to make sales.

due to oversaturation of laes, most of them have one type rating, and wait very long to attain another one.

less type rating, less exp and value, less allowance.

i could rant for hours. but im tired.

Go somewhere else with that degree. Join OEM. Join PART 21, be desk bound engineers.
Old 13-05-2021, 10:17 AM
Unregistered

Question

Quote:
Diploma, St upon attaining LAE, 4.5k??
Where u get that info?

Hmm
Old 30-05-2021, 05:38 PM
Unregistered

hey guys Im currently studying in ite, after NS im keen to join aviation. However it seems Covid has affected aviation so much. Anyone keen to share the major changes your company has went thru during this pandemic? For what i heard rolls royce has shut down their assembly if im not wrong, is it permanent or just temporarily?
Old 07-06-2021, 08:47 AM
Unregistered

Smile

Quote:
hey guys Im currently studying in ite, after NS im keen to join aviation. However it seems Covid has affected aviation so much. Anyone keen to share the major changes your company has went thru during this pandemic? For what i heard rolls royce has shut down their assembly if im not wrong, is it permanent or just temporarily?
Aviation industry is very dynamic. One day it booms like hell and another i slumps to the ground. But nonetheless air travel is a very much needed commodity.

Yes no doubt aviation was hit hard, and several airline even closed shop. (eg. Aus tigerair)

Different companies adapt and strategise differently. From paycuts to reshuffling of manpower throughout the company, forced leave, no pay leaves, to even manpower layoffs (for companies which cant really stay afloat with current manpower headcount)

I strongly believe, like most aviation personnel that, one day we will come out stronger. But it is not that soon. Perhaps another 3-5 years? That depends on the worldwide handling of this pandemic.

Anyways, what do you want to be, working in the aviation industry?