Aircraft Maintenance License and Courses - Page 18 - Salary.sg Forums
Salary.sg Forums  

Go Back   Salary.sg Forums > The Salary.sg Discussion Forums: > Education and Personal Growth

Education and Personal Growth Schools, further studies, getting ready for employment, and motivation stuff

Aircraft Maintenance License and Courses

Old 31-05-2012, 10:37 AM
MR_VK

Quote:
Originally Posted by Unregistered View Post
The long hours, the stress and responsibilities you have to shoulder as the guy signing off the place before take-off... for just a mere 8k salary is not worth it all... the time it will take you to hit that amount.. you'll at least have to slogged for 15 - 20 years round the clock... Not too sure how well your health will hold up from the long irregular hours and stress... There are less stressful industries that pay much better money than plane maintenance.. Sometimes, you can get played out by the technicians... since you can't possibly inspect the whole plane after they are done with their work, they play you out.. something goes wrong when plane takes off, you will still get the blame.. and worst you license will get revoked... I've met a few LAE driving taxi just for your info... Better think twice...
What! LAEs driving taxi??? Don talk rubbish, all my LAEs driving Audi and Merc...Don cook a story just to discourage youngsters from joining the industry.It is hard work no doubt but it's up to individual to make their careers exciting and being an LAE is a stepping stone

Old 31-05-2012, 10:53 AM
Unregistered

Even PhDs drive taxis so why can't LAE? Is LAE so special?

Old 31-05-2012, 12:23 PM
MR_VK

Default forerIr Hopkins

Quote:
LAEs and technicians are the driving force behind Singapore aviation industry.Are we not special? You be the judge... We are so busy everyday "cheonging" to get aircrafts ready for flights. Everybody KPIs go up, no time to moonlight as taxi drivers. To all aspiring to be LAEs, just go for it...Huat ah!!

Old 31-05-2012, 12:42 PM
MR_VK

Quote:
SIAEC IS USING THEIR REPUTATION TO ATTRACT PEOPLE. IM A TLAE THERE AND I TOTALLY REGRET JOINING THEM. THEY TREAT U WITHOUT ANY WELFARE IN OTHER WORDS FEED YOU TO THE DOGS. LOOKS RESPECTABLE FROM THE OUTSIDE BUT ITS ALL DIFFERENT FROM THE INSIDE. TELL ME HOW ARE YOU SUPPOSED TO SURVIVE ON 1k FOR 4 YEARS? I EVEN EARNED MORE AS AN OFFICER DURING MY DAYS AT 3SIR. WELL FOR ST AERO MY FRIENDS ARE ALSO SAYING THE SAME THING SO ITS BEST TO TAKE A DEGREE AND BECOME A WHITE COLLARED ENGINEER RATHER THAN AN LAE TRUST ME GUYS.
I don know which part of the world you are living in but SIAEC is in Singapore, we don feed people to the dogs.LAEs are self-motivated and full of energy... We have LAEs moving on to be AOs, executives and managers. Of course you will need to start from the bottom, nothing is easy.
Old 31-05-2012, 12:50 PM
Ah Huat

Default Why is LAE special?

Quote:
Here we are being realistic and discussing on youngsters who had just graduated with a diploma, looking to start a career as a junior engineer. Please do not compare apples with orange.
The options that fresh engineering grads have are aerospace, shipping, electronics, chemical, land transportation, logistics, construction, bio medical, chemical, IT sectors to name a few.
If you want to compare among the above industries, I would have to say that to start off your career in the aerospace industries as an engineer would yield a better prospect and job security in the long term. Please do not narrow your view to just the present and do widen your paradigm by looking further.
No doubt, to start off from scratch as an apprentice is not easy and tough. It's as good as studying for a degree, just that more focus is placed in practical aspects that are relevant to our scope of work. This industry is niche, hence much emphasis is placed on training young individuals to work safely, ensure that his technicians are safe during work, the aircraft is airworthy. These are the 3 primary priorities our company culture inculcates. Secondary priorities would be resource savings, profits and productivity (that's what all companies want to achieve - profit). Therefore, if you cannot endure the first 3 yrs of apprenticeship, there is no point in you to continue as a LAE. I hope you can take it positively and learn the ropes of the trade during training, rather than start to learn only when you get your license. I personally feel that it is of utmost importance that our company issues the authourity and licence to those that can hold these responsibilities. SIA is about quality, if you think you want a short cut, please look elsewhere.
So, what is so special about being a LAE? We certify aircraft airworthiness. It is a niche industry and thus not many people in Singapore hold this privilege. The first stage would be to acquire the basic license by passing the B1/B2 SAR 66 issued by CAAS. Next you need to go for aircraft type licenses for the various models, eg A330, A380, B777 just to name a few. As you progress, you will be assigned to handle different aircraft types, hence acquiring more licenses along the way. The more licenses you possess, the higher your market value increases. Your knowledge in the first few years of your career would be a learning curve for you. You will find that your knowledge is so little as compared to your fellow colleagues that had been working for 20 over years.. That would be the time you start to appreciate the experience.
My company treasures experienced LAEs, the management is not able to jeopardise safety due to these group of LAEs that ensure all work carried out are in accordance with the air law. That's what so special about being a LAE.
With regards to your LAE friend who is driving a taxi right now, I'm sure he chose to do it on his own accord, and not the industry's fault. For those who would rather blame others for their misfortune instead of taking pride on his own work, it's also their own choice.
Old 31-05-2012, 12:57 PM
MR_VK

Quote:
1) I sincerely advice u not to join ...

2)Bro I am a B2 license holder, it is not true that it is a cleaner job, I ask u, which area of the aircraft not powered or control by electrical wires, flap, slats, oil pump, wheel well, wheels, gears .... and u expect this area to be oil free, dirt free. In order to access these system to do wiring chk, u still hav to climb, crawl, lie down ... u name it. And they dun give a damn day or night, got defect, pls do!
I sincerely advice u not to join...

3) I advice u to take a degree as me and my peers are stuck, we are now trying ways to complete a degree as LAE(running shift how to study part time??) now no prospect, no money(now cutting cost, the shift pattern already so disgusting, if u still wanna/can come back for OT, u are a robot!), no life(eat, sleep, wake up work,.. All this without OT, jus normal shift), no friends(eat, sleep, work), if u still havent found a galfren(all males environment, unless u like same sex...), then be prepared to buy a foreign bride(where got time to dating, cabin crew also see u no up).

4) Being a LAE does not give u the advantage, in fact u hav to complete the bond or resign from SIAEC then apply for pilot...
Go get a degree and take up pilot direct, u wanna drive ferrari or repair ferrari...???

5) Money is good for those senior LAE, now the newer ones hav to suffer due to worst shift pattern(keep changing new shift pattern to squeeze u dry), cheaper better faster, shortage of manpower, equipment, resources....
My peers LAE keep asking one another is it our karma or we did something very bad in our past life, if not why we end up here, wanna leave still got 2 more years of bond...

6) I wasted 10mins of my precious off day to give u a sincere advice, asking u not to join so u will not suffer like us, if u insist, then u also maybe have a bad karma like us...
This is the worst crap I have ever read....most important thing is to have pride in your work.
Must cheong n cheong, aircraft go out we all happy. Want be pilot?? U ask them how much bonus they get.Not convinced? U look for me, don say bad about my company ok. Huat ah!!

Old 31-05-2012, 02:42 PM

Firdaus89 is on a distinguished road

Hi,im new here.I considering to start my career as a Aircraft Technician or LAE.However,i decide to take part time studies in Aviation Business administration.Is it a good choice for me to kick start my career in working small aerospace companies/aircraft technician in SIA to strengthen my experience and knowledge before moving to higher level when i get my degree or straight away build my path on executive level and not technician/engineer level.
Old 31-05-2012, 08:15 PM
Unregistered

Quote:
Originally Posted by MR_VK View Post
What! LAEs driving taxi??? Don talk rubbish, all my LAEs driving Audi and Merc...Don cook a story just to discourage youngsters from joining the industry.It is hard work no doubt but it's up to individual to make their careers exciting and being an LAE is a stepping stone
Dont bluff lah, anyone can just go carpark and verify themselves. Many LAE only drive motorbikes, some just drive humble toyota. Many LAE join this industry for love of airplanes, not money, dont paint bullish stories to impressionable youngsters
Old 31-05-2012, 08:35 PM
MR_VK

Quote:
Dont bluff lah, anyone can just go carpark and verify themselves. Many LAE only drive motorbikes, some just drive humble toyota. Many LAE join this industry for love of airplanes, not money, dont paint bullish stories to impressionable youngsters
You think I so free come here and ******** like you... Better wake up your idea, my LAEs drive VW, Audi,BMW and Merc.... Which car park did u go? Changi V?
Old 31-05-2012, 08:54 PM
MR_VK

Quote:
Originally Posted by Firdaus89 View Post
Hi,im new here.I considering to start my career as a Aircraft Technician or LAE.However,i decide to take part time studies in Aviation Business administration.Is it a good choice for me to kick start my career in working small aerospace companies/aircraft technician in SIA to strengthen my experience and knowledge before moving to higher level when i get my degree or straight away build my path on executive level and not technician/engineer level.
What is your strength? Are u a hands-on guy who like to sweat and keen to troubleshoot or like to stay in office and enjoy aircon...if u qualify for the LAE apprentice scheme, then go for it. Otherwise just finish your studies and decide later and start working as technician is not a bad idea.... U get a better picture on aircraft maintenance.
To conclude, being a LAE is about endurance. Only the fittest survive, the weak cry their way and hide one corner in office everyday.Some grumble and say bad karma in this forum.
My motto is cheong for the company, cheong with my fellow workers and LAEs