Aircraft Maintenance License and Courses - Page 62 - Salary.sg Forums
Salary.sg Forums  

Go Back   Salary.sg Forums > The Salary.sg Discussion Forums: > Education and Personal Growth

Education and Personal Growth Schools, further studies, getting ready for employment, and motivation stuff

Aircraft Maintenance License and Courses

Old 07-08-2020, 12:42 PM
Unregistered

Unhappy

Thank u so much for the replies but damn...judging from the career prospects and pay isn't it more ideal for someone pursuing this path to just sign on with a degree since u get to be an officer straight away with a base pay of 4k+ and a pretty big bonus every year? The working culture doesn't seem too different anyway which is why i'm having second thoughts since I can't really stand the working culture in NS.

I really appreciate everyone who responded to me as it has given me a 3rd party insight into a job that i've been striving to achieve since my poly days, up till now my main sources were only my poly lecturers who only claimed the working hours of an LAE are quite atrocious but pays well (which i now knw is false lol). Having said all that what would you recommend me to do in my current situation since it's too late for me to back out now because school is literally starting soon and given my diploma i can't jump into other sectors such as finance and banking etc, are there any other jobs with better prospects that i might be able to fit into with my future aerospace degree? (kinda worried since it is so specialized)

Old 08-08-2020, 03:58 PM
Unregistered

Quote:
Originally Posted by Unregistered View Post
the road to be an lae is basically an aircraft technician (almost similar to car/motorcycle mechanic in a dirty workshop, or a bmt recruit, private/lcp/cpl). trainee is mostly 8 to 5:30 working hours, your job is to pass exams (best if you can memorise), if you bad with exams, better if you go the self-starter route of being a technician and slowly collect your experience and exam certs (can fail 1000+ times as long as get the cert, trainee lae fail 2 times = demote to technician)

once you are an lae, you are basically like a 3SG (closest i can think of is CQMS or tank section ic) in-charge of a team of technician (sometimes with interns, trainee or assistant engineer). the 2LT and LTA will be the aircraft in-charge which is usually senior engineer or manager, basically a pool of lae will be under them. each lae will be in-charge of the various sections of an aircraft, like left wing 1 lae, right wing 1 lae, cabin/interior 1 lae, cargo 1 lae, avionics 1 lae, empennage 1 lae and et cetera.

in general you delegate job tasks to your men, verify and sign off the work done by them. you also need to order spare parts, perform various inspections, do troubleshooting, liaising with other dept such like engineering support, transport or logistics, or even do the hands-on work yourself, teach your fellow men (most of them do things by left or their grandfather-say-is-like-that way). oh btw your technicians are mostly pilipino or chinese national and they probably have 10-30 years of experiences under their belt from around the world.

working hours is usually of a few variant of shift patterns (may start at 3am or 8am or 3pm or 5pm), if you are in general aviation, they may start and end work 8am to 5:30pm. OT from 1.5 hours to more, most of the time over the MOM rule of 12 working hours per day.

salary during trainee period for uni grad starts from 2.5k on your 1st year, on your 3rd year you should be getting 2.8k+, 4th year 3k+ if you become assistant engineer, downgraded to technician if you fail exams? probably basic salary stagnant as you hit the technician salary cap.

once lae in your 5th to 6th year, can expect 3.5 to 4k+ excluding OT. OT x1.5 and x2.0 pay can ownself calculate from MOM salary calculator. if you white horse or ankat bola game strong, can become manager after 8th year onwards, pay no need say liao. if not, you become lae or senior lae for life till you retire, jumping from coy to coy, country to country, or may even change position to various white collar engineer role or instructor or lecturer.
Wow thanks for the reply. May i know more abt the self starter route? What exactly do i need?

Old 09-08-2020, 09:28 AM
LAE

Quote:
Indeed. I am. This is not my choice. I cannot question my unhappiness to the management as they posted me to the military platform. Are you an LAE too?
cause if you are a lae, you should know that you cannot sign military a/c

Old 09-08-2020, 09:30 AM
LAE

Quote:
hello, does anyone know how long does it take to become a LAE, from the first day as a trainee till the day you got your license?
I guess minimum at least 5 years.
Old 09-08-2020, 09:38 AM
LAE

Quote:
Hi i'm about to start studying aerospace engineering in one of the local unis and I just wanted to get an idea of what it's like to work as an LAE to get an idea of what i can look forward to in the future, just wondering what's the normal job scope, working hours and salary during and after the trainee period? Would love any insight on this thank you.
1st thing 1st, you must know that lae is not your typical grad engineer deskbound job + high paying salary for the first 6years. If you ok with that then we can talk more...
Old 09-08-2020, 09:40 AM
LAE

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeffrey View Post
Hi, i would recommend that you switch to another degree course that is generalized like Mechanical, electrical engineering or computer science.

Im a recent grad of Aerospace Systems from SUSS and i can tell you the employment prospects for fresh graduates in the aviation industry is abysmal.
Not easy to find jobs in other industries with this degree too if you wanna do engineering related work.

Feel free to contact me more for more details
not really just aviation lar... most of the industries are affected due to covid. so look on the bright side.

Old 09-08-2020, 09:47 AM
LAE

Quote:
the road to be an lae is basically an aircraft technician (almost similar to car/motorcycle mechanic in a dirty workshop, or a bmt recruit, private/lcp/cpl). trainee is mostly 8 to 5:30 working hours, your job is to pass exams (best if you can memorise), if you bad with exams, better if you go the self-starter route of being a technician and slowly collect your experience and exam certs (can fail 1000+ times as long as get the cert, trainee lae fail 2 times = demote to technician)

once you are an lae, you are basically like a 3SG (closest i can think of is CQMS or tank section ic) in-charge of a team of technician (sometimes with interns, trainee or assistant engineer). the 2LT and LTA will be the aircraft in-charge which is usually senior engineer or manager, basically a pool of lae will be under them. each lae will be in-charge of the various sections of an aircraft, like left wing 1 lae, right wing 1 lae, cabin/interior 1 lae, cargo 1 lae, avionics 1 lae, empennage 1 lae and et cetera.

in general you delegate job tasks to your men, verify and sign off the work done by them. you also need to order spare parts, perform various inspections, do troubleshooting, liaising with other dept such like engineering support, transport or logistics, or even do the hands-on work yourself, teach your fellow men (most of them do things by left or their grandfather-say-is-like-that way). oh btw your technicians are mostly pilipino or chinese national and they probably have 10-30 years of experiences under their belt from around the world.

working hours is usually of a few variant of shift patterns (may start at 3am or 8am or 3pm or 5pm), if you are in general aviation, they may start and end work 8am to 5:30pm. OT from 1.5 hours to more, most of the time over the MOM rule of 12 working hours per day.

salary during trainee period for uni grad starts from 2.5k on your 1st year, on your 3rd year you should be getting 2.8k+, 4th year 3k+ if you become assistant engineer, downgraded to technician if you fail exams? probably basic salary stagnant as you hit the technician salary cap.

once lae in your 5th to 6th year, can expect 3.5 to 4k+ excluding OT. OT x1.5 and x2.0 pay can ownself calculate from MOM salary calculator. if you white horse or ankat bola game strong, can become manager after 8th year onwards, pay no need say liao. if not, you become lae or senior lae for life till you retire, jumping from coy to coy, country to country, or may even change position to various white collar engineer role or instructor or lecturer.
not all the above are true, but some are correct though.
just take it with a pinch of salt if you were to ask me.
Old 09-08-2020, 09:48 AM
LAE

Quote:
Wow thanks for the reply. May i know more abt the self starter route? What exactly do i need?
think it's mentioned in 1 of the post in the thread..
Old 09-08-2020, 10:55 AM
Unregistered

Quote:
Originally Posted by LAE View Post
not all the above are true, but some are correct though.
just take it with a pinch of salt if you were to ask me.
If you don't mind, which parts of the write up are false? would love a more accurate representation of being an LAE so I can knw what to expect in the future.
Old 10-08-2020, 04:01 PM
Unregistered

I have diploma from NP, currently serving NS, i wanna join siaec as technician after ns. Currently while serving ns i wanna complete the SAR 66 papers. After that wat step shud i take. I understand that being lae is tough but i really have passion for it.