Salary.sg Forums

Salary.sg Forums (https://forums.salary.sg/)
-   Education and Personal Growth (https://forums.salary.sg/education-personal-growth/)
-   -   Third Class Honours/Second Lower Honours (https://forums.salary.sg/education-personal-growth/7783-third-class-honours-second-lower-honours.html)

dreamer. 18-08-2016 10:47 AM

Third Class Honours/Second Lower Honours

I would just like to ask if anyone knows what are the average percentages of students achieving each of the honours class?

And does having a third class or second lower class honours really mean that all doors are closed for you?

I have been seeing forum replies where people have been absolutely nasty about the prospects of people without a second upper or first class honours.

Would just want to know what is the real world situation really like out there :)

Unregistered 18-08-2016 11:04 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by dreamer. (Post 89589)
I would just like to ask if anyone knows what are the average percentages of students achieving each of the honours class?

And does having a third class or second lower class honours really mean that all doors are closed for you?

I have been seeing forum replies where people have been absolutely nasty about the prospects of people without a second upper or first class honours.

Would just want to know what is the real world situation really like out there :)

Hi,

I graduated from NUS with a second lower, but I managed to get myself into the MAP at one of the local banks. So I guess not all doors are closed to someone without a second upper/first.

With that being said, I have been told repeatedly by others, be it family or friends, that I was extremely lucky to have secured a relatively decent starting position in my career. And to be honest, I can't help but agree with their statement too. Job market is down, companies aren't exactly on a hiring frenzy, so I guess if you have a second lower, you really have to knock on the doors considerably harder than those with a second upper/first have to.

Unregistered 18-08-2016 11:28 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Unregistered (Post 89616)
Hi,

I graduated from NUS with a second lower, but I managed to get myself into the MAP at one of the local banks. So I guess not all doors are closed to someone without a second upper/first.

With that being said, I have been told repeatedly by others, be it family or friends, that I was extremely lucky to have secured a relatively decent starting position in my career. And to be honest, I can't help but agree with their statement too. Job market is down, companies aren't exactly on a hiring frenzy, so I guess if you have a second lower, you really have to knock on the doors considerably harder than those with a second upper/first have to.

Congrats, learn as much as possible. You are lucky to have landed the role in this market condition. I was a second lower too, but that was 4 years ago. I started at a bank too, not MAP. Now at a top company in the industry. Honestly I have never expected myself to have reached so far. So all not are lost. The moment you get the Ist job, your results will not matter 3 to 5 years down the road. People wont bother about them anymore, perhaps maybe for govt sector.

Unregistered 20-08-2016 10:04 AM

private sector companies are usually less concerned about honour grading.

crykite 29-08-2016 04:07 AM

Accounting firms really care about your grades for audit and tax roles. I can only attest for the graduate role, grades shouldn't matter after you have experience.

Unregistered 30-08-2016 09:12 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Unregistered (Post 89619)
Congrats, learn as much as possible. You are lucky to have landed the role in this market condition. I was a second lower too, but that was 4 years ago. I started at a bank too, not MAP. Now at a top company in the industry. Honestly I have never expected myself to have reached so far. So all not are lost. The moment you get the Ist job, your results will not matter 3 to 5 years down the road. People wont bother about them anymore, perhaps maybe for govt sector.

Congrats to you too. Which school did you graduated from? Based on your description, I believe you are earning good salary now. May I know how much are you earning now (annual)?

Leody 11-02-2017 11:45 AM

Quote:

It really depends of what kind of roles you are and what are your other involvements? If you simply have a 3rd class degree to back you up during your interviews without any CCA or external relevant activities to back you up, you can expect that it won't look very nice on your resume.

For example, 2 3rd class degree holders went for an interview, one only waste his time drinking and play console games everyday, the other is an active sportsman who did freelance sales and outdoor work. You can imagine who will be the better candidate in the interviewer's eyes.

community@lithan 08-05-2017 05:27 PM

i think for specs like finance and acc your GPA really matters! cos firms filter their numerous interviews by looking at GPA. But for mkt and other kinds of hands on careers, experience matters more

Unregistered 08-05-2017 08:39 PM

Quote:

I graduated 2005 from NUS biz school normal degree. Earning 170K/year working in the high tech industry.
So don't worry too much about it.

vong 12-05-2017 11:44 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Unregistered (Post 97238)
I graduated 2005 from NUS biz school normal degree. Earning 170K/year working in the high tech industry.
So don't worry too much about it.

Hi I'm in a similar position. Graduating from NUS Biz with no Honours. Just wondering how you managed to find your way? Any advice? Thanks!!