Beware of People who claim to have "Doctorates" - Page 2 - Salary.sg Forums
Salary.sg Forums  

Go Back   Salary.sg Forums > The Salary.sg Discussion Forums: > Education and Personal Growth

Education and Personal Growth Schools, further studies, getting ready for employment, and motivation stuff

Beware of People who claim to have "Doctorates"

Old 01-09-2008, 04:38 PM
e--

Default 2567

Prejudices: Not PhD's per se. But more in the context of people who spruik their credentials indiscriminately. Doesn't have to be a PhD but even those with their numerous lettering at the back of their names. More so for people who are actually enamoured by academic credentials...

Honarary PhDs: I don't think there has be any "philosophical novelty" for them to awarded these degrees. As I said, all you have to do is either be famous or donate a lot of money to the school.

Publishing journals: Thanks but no thanks. I took a first writing my honours thesis which I chose not to publish. Could have enrolled in a direct PhD straight away but refrained. Actually, come to think of it, that first paper could be one of many papers to form the thesis. Some people I know did and have since gotten their PhDs though they were realistic enough to know that they shouldn't expect a "PhD premium" if they were coming out to the finance marketplace to get work...

Anyway, the moral of the story is, which I have always reiterated is that PhD are only needed in research and/or academia. A lot of good things have come out of research - probably more so in the hard sciences than in the social sciences/arts.

Back to the topic... a PhD is not relevant in business - so you should be most wary of people who try to use fancy titles to impress you...

Old 06-09-2008, 10:23 AM
Careerwork--

Default 2605

If you want a title in front, do you know that under the Singapore Law, Professional Engineer is given a title "Er" just like doctor ? Unfortunately, not many people still know. It is a glamorous status and not easily to obtain. Have to be awarded by the Professional Engineer Board. Check out www.peb.gov.sg

Old 07-09-2008, 04:56 PM
singapore options tr--

Default 2611

I congratulate ST Senior Writer Sandra Davie for exposing businessmen such as Chandroo and most importantly Clemen Chiang as a fraud.

Clemen in particular openly uses his PhD/Doctoral qualification to boost his credentials and recruit students for his courses.

Now that his PhD is proven to be from Preston University, a degree mill university, he should openly apologies to the public and the various media entity such as Business Times, CAN, CNBC and many others that he has been able to manipulate to give him the publicity as published widely in his website at www .freely .com

He has no shame when openly admitted that he got his PhD in 16 months. This is unprecedented and no reputable university would award such as doctoral qualification. He should get his doctoral supervisor who is presumably an expert in options trading to openly testify to his so called well earned qualification and published his thesis.

University of South Australia should be wary and rejected such doctoral students. Perhaps UniSA and/or APMI Kaplan Singapore being the local provider would comment.

Despite being exposed that his PhD is from a degree mill, he still advertise in the newspapers and in his website carrying his 'Dr' title. This should be put to a stop!!!

It is time for the students (past and present) take him to task. He has cheated many students which resulted in him owning his bungalows at Sentosa Cove and elsewhere and many cars he owned as he always brag during his Seminar Previews.

Speak up fellow student. The time is now....

Old 17-09-2008, 09:51 PM
supportthetruth--

Default 2704

Chandroo, what will you tell the preschoolers?
Old 19-10-2008, 05:03 PM
fake doctors--

Default 2962

Admin thank you for pointing out these fraudsters. May I add that my friend used to work for Teresa Chew, lady boss of Expressions, and he said she was ADAMANT in making sure everyone called her 'doctor chew'

Any Expression employee can attest to that. Such a shame that it's just an ego boost totally undeserved in the end.
Old 13-06-2009, 03:57 PM
Unregistered

Talking

2008 same LTCM guys repeated history with JWM
http://online.wsj.com/article/SB122151230448138447.html

Old 15-06-2009, 11:45 PM
Unregistered

Quote:
Originally Posted by fake doctors-- View Post
Admin thank you for pointing out these fraudsters. May I add that my friend used to work for Teresa Chew, lady boss of Expressions, and he said she was ADAMANT in making sure everyone called her 'doctor chew'

Any Expression employee can attest to that. Such a shame that it's just an ego boost totally undeserved in the end.
Haha, "Doctor Chew"... I heard her in a radio chat show some time back. She couldn't even speak proper English! BUt let's give her the benefit of doubt - she is indeed quite successful in business and maybe she's deserving of the doctor title because of her business acumen.
Old 06-07-2009, 11:01 AM
Unregistered

Hi all a question here. would you rather be

1) A quack doctorate of business but possess the business experience and financial successes behind you or;

2) A legitimite doctore of Business with alot of theories and paper but no successful business under your name and not to say no financial successes?

My point? Not many of my professors are successful. None won a nobel prize.
Old 06-07-2009, 11:52 AM

quek is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by Unregistered View Post
Hi all a question here. would you rather be

1) A quack doctorate of business but possess the business experience and financial successes behind you or;

2) A legitimite doctore of Business with alot of theories and paper but no successful business under your name and not to say no financial successes?

My point? Not many of my professors are successful. None won a nobel prize.
If your definition of success is winning the Nobel prize, then lots of professors are total failures.

It's not easy to become a prof and it's even harder to become a tenured one in a good school. That itself is good enough for me to call a prof successful, not to mention that tenured profs in private institutions (especially those in America) earn a comfortable living doing research, teaching and consulting.

They do what they like and they earn good salaries. Isn't this "successful" enough?

At the extreme end, there are those millionaire-entrepreneurs who "retire" into professorships in Stanford, MIT and the like.

Not sure if such examples exist in NUS, NTU and SMU, but I do have respect for some profs here who are leading experts in their fields.
Old 06-07-2009, 05:21 PM
Unregistered

Quote:
Originally Posted by adbie View Post
If your definition of success is winning the Nobel prize, then lots of professors are total failures.

It's not easy to become a prof and it's even harder to become a tenured one in a good school. That itself is good enough for me to call a prof successful, not to mention that tenured profs in private institutions (especially those in America) earn a comfortable living doing research, teaching and consulting.

They do what they like and they earn good salaries. Isn't this "successful" enough?

At the extreme end, there are those millionaire-entrepreneurs who "retire" into professorships in Stanford, MIT and the like.

Not sure if such examples exist in NUS, NTU and SMU, but I do have respect for some profs here who are leading experts in their fields.

Discovering and contributing to the wealth of human knowledge is the goal and dream of all researchers. I am pretty sure many researchers will not consider themselves as successful simply because of the pay they are drawing. Of course I wouldn't go as far as to call all professors as failures, however I doubt they will consider themselves as highly successful in their chosen field if they had not been able to make a significant contribution or discovery. Unless they are like you mentioned, top in their field. But how many phd holders are at the top?

In the field of business, we have Doctor of Business Administration or Phd whatsoever. Look at this list of people

- Expressions International founder "Dr" Theresa Chew.
- Bread Talk founder "Dr" George Quek.
- "Dr" T. Chandroo who runs 60 Montessori kindergartens.
- "Dr" Clemen Chiang who runs options trading seminars.

Did they not managed to start or found a thriving business? Have they not achieved what many Doctors of Business not managed to do?