Salary.sg Forums

Salary.sg Forums (https://forums.salary.sg/)
-   Education and Personal Growth (https://forums.salary.sg/education-personal-growth/)
-   -   courses on commodities trading (https://forums.salary.sg/education-personal-growth/5067-courses-commodities-trading.html)

ook 06-03-2015 08:39 PM

courses on commodities trading

i'm not from smu or ntu where they have a special track to groom students for the trading industry hence i would like to know if there are any courses out there which provides me with the knowledge and skills as I'm interested to work as a physical trader upon graduation

i found out that smu has this SMU Executive Certificate in Structured Trade & Commodity Finance | Financial Training Institute but after reading the description i realized it's more for working ppl and the 7500 fee is quite costly

Unregistered 27-07-2015 11:19 AM

I am from NTU I did not know they have a trading course for their students.

Personally, I do not think you need a certificate to land a starting position in a physical trading company. Internships are a much better option.

I briefly read through the SMU course breakdown and firstly I must say that $7500 is ****ing expensive for a certificate. Secondly, the course is not that relevant if you want to be a front-line physical trader because most of the documentations, risks, finances are handled by the other departments although it is still good to know to ops here and there.

A better course would be the ones offered in other institutes ( quarter of the price as well) Those that teach you the basics of shipping and trading (Incoterms, L/C ops, port operations etc ) rather than just narrowing down on finances of shipping and trading which I believe is secondary to the basic shipping ops. I'm not saying it is not important, but not necessary to go into the depth, now now

ook 22-10-2015 08:27 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Unregistered (Post 70621)
I am from NTU I did not know they have a trading course for their students.

Personally, I do not think you need a certificate to land a starting position in a physical trading company. Internships are a much better option.

I briefly read through the SMU course breakdown and firstly I must say that $7500 is ****ing expensive for a certificate. Secondly, the course is not that relevant if you want to be a front-line physical trader because most of the documentations, risks, finances are handled by the other departments although it is still good to know to ops here and there.

A better course would be the ones offered in other institutes ( quarter of the price as well) Those that teach you the basics of shipping and trading (Incoterms, L/C ops, port operations etc ) rather than just narrowing down on finances of shipping and trading which I believe is secondary to the basic shipping ops. I'm not saying it is not important, but not necessary to go into the depth, now now

hi there is one at ntu

International Trading Programme (ITP)

other than shipping (i managed to get some notes from my smu fren), what are the other more impt areas do u think i should read up on? trade facilitation? risk management?