Salary.sg Forums

Salary.sg Forums (https://forums.salary.sg/)
-   Education and Personal Growth (https://forums.salary.sg/education-personal-growth/)
-   -   Engineers - considering CFA or Financial Engineering? (https://forums.salary.sg/education-personal-growth/483-engineers-considering-cfa-financial-engineering.html)

XOXO--- 17-07-2008 02:21 AM

i passed CFA level 1 and want to go back to school for either a MBA or a MS in financial engineering. i wonder if the combination of CFA + MBA is better than the CFA + MS in financial engineering. any advice??

Collin--- 17-07-2008 09:40 AM

I would think that CFA and MS in Financial Engineering would be slightly correlated. Hence, going for MBA would be a better bet. But of course the institution plays a part too.

xoxo--- 18-07-2008 10:49 AM

Hi Collin,
Thanks so much for the advice. what do you think of Baruch College? is it considered a good school to go for a MBA? have you heard of a major named Decision Sciences? what do you think of it? Thanks!!

Collin--- 18-07-2008 12:30 PM

Hi xoxo,

Sorry I have not much clue about the college.

damion spencer-- 28-11-2008 03:31 AM

Hey i am university graudate with a Bsc in Banking and Finance, and i am thinking about doing a CFA,MBa or a Msc in economics. I really would like to know what is my best bet.

Tequila-- 06-12-2008 05:56 PM

I attended a talk by Jim Rogers... he advised to study and buy everything related to commodities as usual !!! And his usual preach on China and Taiwan... After seeing what the Fed and US Treasury are doing, I think he's right to certain extent...

hence my opinion, if I were u, is to do everything related to commodities in China... this crisis will set up a different playing field and

Prashanth Cherukuri-- 24-01-2009 06:26 AM

Hi Collin
I am an engineer with 5 years experience, and am looking towards a career shift to finance. I have registered for the June 2009 Level 1 exam.

Assuming I clear alll three levels, what do you think are the chances of an engineer breaking into Finance? This will be after 3-4 years, so lets assume the economy is ok by then. Also, do you know of anyone who has successfully traversed this path

thanks

5m10y-- 24-01-2009 09:21 AM

Prashanth, I know 2 persons who have cleared all levels. They are analysts now (used to be in IT).

Koho-- 01-02-2009 10:31 PM

Hi all,

I have just passed my Level I Dec 2008. I also from engineering with 10 years experience. Anyone know any career opportunity in Singapore for this background? I read many ads, while they need CFA, they also need many other stuff.

Thanks.

Pui-- 11-02-2009 02:43 PM

Hi

I did my MBA in finance last year and now I wanna pursue CFA. I am currently into developing infa projects and am also involved with project costing and financing of these infra projects...will this work ex be considered eligible for earning the Charter?

I am askin this because I saw a list of job profiles considered to be eligible for the charter on the CFA website however the profile related to my job isn't listed there.

I am not into securities, insurance field as of now