which one? - Page 3 - Salary.sg Forums
Salary.sg Forums  

Go Back   Salary.sg Forums > The Salary.sg Discussion Forums: > Education and Personal Growth

Education and Personal Growth Schools, further studies, getting ready for employment, and motivation stuff

which one?

Poll: Which one
Poll Options
Which one

Old 23-10-2013, 09:21 AM
Banned

warning can only hope to improve

Quote:
Originally Posted by Unregistered View Post
but for postgrad, Nanyang MBA has better international reputation and ranking. but well, why spend another year attaining the same thing
thats what singaporeans like to believe but when I talk to foreigners (I've worked for two fortune 100 companies), no one has a clue about nanyang MBA but they've all heard of NUS.

about spending another year for undergrad - why not? what's the rush especially if your family isn't tight on money? if it means you get a better undergrad experience, I think it is well worth it. after all, you only do your undergrad once. there's more to school than going for lessons.

the problem with NTU undergrad business school is that it attract a whole lot of students who are in it primarily because it is 3 instead of 4 years. I see that the students are just so focused on getting that piece of degree as quick as possible that they forget about getting a full learning experience outside of the classroom. everything is about "what is the most useful thing that I should do that would make me earn the most money?" instead of finding out about your strengths and passions. in that aspect, I think NUS does a better job, maybe partly because a 4 year course gives you more space to explore and develop.

disclaimer: I did my undegrad at NTU but I have many, many friends who were from NUS.

Old 23-10-2013, 09:25 AM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by whichone View Post
So If the focus is on the name brand, should I just get a chemistry/ Mech eng degree from Imperial? (that's assuming I manage to enter of course haha )

Would a science degree from a big brand name uni get me finance positions?
yes, definitely. I would say a chem/mech eng degree from imperial is a much better choice than all of your other options. however, are you interested in that? no point doing something which you are not interested in.

Old 23-10-2013, 09:34 AM
Banned

Quote:
is overseas exp going to make you more employable?
if you can prove that you are able to bring in different perspective.
Quote:
People might assume that you went overseas because you didnt do well for A-levels and you had your rich daddy pay for you to go there instead...... And its pretty well known that those who go overseas are those who couldnt make it here.
if you want to work for some singaporean SME, then yes, it's true that people might think you are a local uni reject thats why you went overseas.

but for most management trainee programs at MNCs, having studied overseas (as long as it is not some low-tier school) is usually a big plus point. it shows that you are independent, willing to explore beyond your comfort zone, have good intercultural skills. of course not all of these are always true, but these are the assumptions that employers make.

remember, a good portion of hiring managers at MNCs are not singaporeans, or are singaporeans who themselves have studied overseas, so they do not come with such misguided preconceptions that you went overseas because you didn't do well for a-levels.

Old 23-10-2013, 12:36 PM
Unregistered

Quote:
Originally Posted by warning View Post
if you want to work for some singaporean SME, then yes, it's true that people might think you are a local uni reject thats why you went overseas.

but for most management trainee programs at MNCs, having studied overseas (as long as it is not some low-tier school) is usually a big plus point. it shows that you are independent, willing to explore beyond your comfort zone, have good intercultural skills. of course not all of these are always true, but these are the assumptions that employers make.

remember, a good portion of hiring managers at MNCs are not singaporeans, or are singaporeans who themselves have studied overseas, so they do not come with such misguided preconceptions that you went overseas because you didn't do well for a-levels.
Sure, not all that go overseas did not do well for A levels. But as an A level grad from a neighbourhood JC, I know about 20 that went overseas to study. Out of those 20, only 2 could've made it to local uni. The rest went overseas because they were rejected by local uni. And the numbers are much higher for poly grads. Thus the preconception. But a misguided one? I think not.
Old 23-10-2013, 02:30 PM
Unregistered

Quote:
thats what singaporeans like to believe but when I talk to foreigners (I've worked for two fortune 100 companies), no one has a clue about nanyang MBA but they've all heard of NUS.

about spending another year for undergrad - why not? what's the rush especially if your family isn't tight on money? if it means you get a better undergrad experience, I think it is well worth it. after all, you only do your undergrad once. there's more to school than going for lessons.

the problem with NTU undergrad business school is that it attract a whole lot of students who are in it primarily because it is 3 instead of 4 years. I see that the students are just so focused on getting that piece of degree as quick as possible that they forget about getting a full learning experience outside of the classroom. everything is about "what is the most useful thing that I should do that would make me earn the most money?" instead of finding out about your strengths and passions. in that aspect, I think NUS does a better job, maybe partly because a 4 year course gives you more space to explore and develop.

disclaimer: I did my undegrad at NTU but I have many, many friends who were from NUS.
Haha dun bluff, from your previous posts, you must be rejected from NTU biz and feeling sour about it. So you are in NUS biz? Okok, NUS is the best!!!

Just like one friend last time, apply to NTU, gt shortlisted for interview, say NTU definitely better....can complete in 3 years....why so silly go and pay money and do extra year blah blah.....

in the end, he got rejected by NTU.

but he got into NUS and then suddenly say, please! NTU where gt good, I spend one more year I can learn more....3 years too fast.....blah blah blah
Old 23-10-2013, 03:23 PM
Unregistered

Quote:
NTU’s Nanyang Business School jumps 8 spots to best ever Economist MBA ranking by Singapore institution

The Nanyang MBA programme is ranked 64th in the world, fourth in Asia, first in Singapore

Nanyang Technological University’s business school has leapt eight places to be ranked 64th on The Economist’s 2013 global ranking of full-time MBA programmes. This is the highest placing ever by a Singapore business school, improving on its rank of 72nd last year. For the 10th straight year, Nanyang Business School has been ranked the best in Singapore by The Economist.

NTU’s business school is ranked fourth within Asia. Strong ratings by the Nanyang MBA programme participants for the educational experience, faculty quality and opening new career opportunities have enabled the Nanyang Business School to increase its lead in the rankings. The Economist’s ranking is one of the most robust global MBA rankings available, as its methodology takes data over a three-year period, which helps to provide a more rounded picture.

The latest Economist rankings underscore the rising international stature of Nanyang Business School and NTU. In March, faculty member Vijay Sethi was named the world’s Business Professor of the Year by the Economist Intelligence Unit, and in January, the school rose two spots on the Financial Times MBA league table to 32nd position.

NTU President Professor Bertil Andersson said, "Soaring eight places in the latest Economist ranking and surpassing some established universities despite stiff competition reaffirms that NTU offers one of the best MBA programmes in the world. As Singapore's top business school, the Nanyang Business School offers a high quality education and distinctive student experience driven by top business professors who are both proven scholars and outstanding teachers. NTU is committed to both research and teaching excellence and we will continue to build on this success."

NTU’s business school moved ahead of established universities such as Boston University’s School of Management in the United States, and France's EMLYON and Grenoble Graduate School of Business.

Professor Ravi Kumar, Dean of Nanyang Business School, said, “Business success today requires much more than analytical skills, technical knowledge, and a keen eye on the bottom line. At Nanyang Business School, we strive continually to ensure our programmes nurture our students to be responsible and ethical leaders who are culturally sensitive and adept at bridging Western business models with those of the East. Our rise in the Economist rankings tells us that this is indeed what students, and employers, around the world are looking for today.”

The Nanyang Business School’s achievement in The Economist’s rankings mirrors that of NTU’s own rapid rise in the global university league tables. In the latest Quacquarelli Symonds (QS) World University Rankings announced last month, NTU is ranked 41st in the world, climbing six places over the last year, and 33 places over the last three years. In this year’s Times Higher Education world rankings, NTU jumped 10 places to No. 76, building on its rocket rise of 83 places last year, and was also ranked No. 1 globally for Industry Income and Innovation.

NBS jumps 8 spots in best ever Economist MBA ranking

Old 23-10-2013, 03:54 PM
Verified Member

whichone is on a distinguished road

Quote:
yes, definitely. I would say a chem/mech eng degree from imperial is a much better choice than all of your other options. however, are you interested in that? no point doing something which you are not interested in.
Yea I do have an interest in chem and mech eng. Kinda worried about student life at imperial tho... heard it can be rather dull :/.

Im also afraid I wont be able to secure internships that will be relevant to my future career, since I definitely am not interested in a career in science?
Old 23-10-2013, 04:12 PM
Banned

Quote:
Sure, not all that go overseas did not do well for A levels. But as an A level grad from a neighbourhood JC, I know about 20 that went overseas to study. Out of those 20, only 2 could've made it to local uni. The rest went overseas because they were rejected by local uni. And the numbers are much higher for poly grads. Thus the preconception. But a misguided one? I think not.
only singaporeans are so obsessed about judging people by their schools.
there are so many Manchester, Bath, Bristol, Nottingham, Durham, Toronto grads in the finance industry here, that's why I say it doesn't matter.
Old 23-10-2013, 04:15 PM
Banned

Quote:
Yea I do have an interest in chem and mech eng. Kinda worried about student life at imperial tho... heard it can be rather dull :/.
seriously? and you're considering NUS/NTU?

Quote:
Im also afraid I wont be able to secure internships that will be relevant to my future career, since I definitely am not interested in a career in science?
what makes you so certain it'll be easier to secure internships with a NUS/NTU business/accountancy degree?
Old 23-10-2013, 04:16 PM
Banned

Quote:
NTU’s Nanyang Business School jumps 8 spots to best ever Economist MBA ranking by Singapore institution
how many non-singaporeans actually know this off the top of their heads?

Primary School English Grammar and Vocabulary Drills
Primary School English Grammar and Vocabulary Drills

SG Bus Timing App
SG Bus Timing App - the best bus app - available on iOS and Android

Bursa Stocks Android App - check share prices
Bursa Stocks [Android] App - check latest share prices on the go

SGX Stocks Android App - check share prices
SGX Stocks [Android] App - check latest share prices on the go

SGX Stocks for iPad - check latest Singapore share prices
SGX Stocks [iPad] app
| SGX Stocks [iPhone] app